Re: [NTB] Outlines in Unix

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 27, 2001

      Alle 08.58 Friday 27/07/2001 +0000, notetab@yahoogroups.com ha mandato a
      Marco questo messaggio:

      >Message: 7
      > Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:53:52 -0500
      > From: Dr. Paul Harder <pharder@...>
      >Subject: Re: Outlines in Unix
      >
      >Hmmm... Whoever told you that Windows programs would run in UNIX was
      >either smoking something or had a very special installation of UNIX.
      >There are three ways to make that work, all nonstandard. I've used all
      >three.

      Well, it's possible to exchange some Perl scripts and to compile some C
      sources, but all these are "interpreted" program instead of "compiled"
      ones: they require a platform-specific interface.
      Usually I swap Perl programs from Windows to Linux and vice-versa, if they
      don't require platform-specific commands like cat or dir.
      Maybe it's possible to write Assembler code using directly BIOS calls for
      I/O, like the power-on self test, but I don't see a practical use, because
      it's too much machine-specific.
      NoteTab is really useful while working on hybrid networks: there is no need
      of strange CR/LF conversions!

      > 3. You can buy a Sun UltraSparc

      Tonight there is a couple of dozen of them on eBay, starting at 100$...

      Bye, and congrats to Eric for new prizes!

      Marco Bernardini