RE: [NTB] NoteTab, File Associations and Win 2000

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
      Hi Brad,

      >When I double click an associated file it opens NoteTab, if not
      >already open, but it does not open the document--only a blank new
      >document. If NoteTab is already open, it will continue to open
      >new blank documents instead of the double-clicked associated
      >files.

      That is what I wanted to know, not that I have a fix, but that
      you were being switch to NoteTab and a new file is added every
      time instead of just see it like when you first open the program
      (with not files open when you shutdown last) meaning there would
      be NoName001.txt there, that is being incremented. That is some
      different altogether than the "normal" Win2000 wanting to keep
      control of Notepad.

      Check in Windows Explorer in Options | File types and make sure
      you do *not* have DDE checked.

      >I'm fairly sure there isn't some corrupted registry hook
      >lingering since I've re-installed Win2000 on this particular
      >system and gotten the same exact problem. Since Mr. Hall has
      >verified that it works as designed with Win2000, I'm beginning to
      >think that there may be something painfully simple that I'm
      >overlooking, such as the syntax of the associations as they're
      >added, or setting that perhaps I'm reading as meaning something
      >different than what is intended.

      There are a great many users running NoteTab properly in Win2000.
      The biggest complaint we have is not being able to use NoteTab as
      the default editor and especially Edit in IE. I haven't heard of
      the problem you are reporting and I've been getting reports since
      Win2k came out. The majority of them were, "I just upgraded to
      Win2000 and there is no "Replace MS Notepad" on the Help menu
      like there was in Win9x. It appears you have it associated
      since NoteTab is responding, but instead of receiving a file it
      just opens a new doc. That is strange to say the least.

      I have a Clip I will send you that Grant made. I don't think he
      is on this list, but is on Clips (?) and for sure the HTML list.
      Have you activated the Utilities Library and looked under the
      NoteTab Shortcuts section? If not, try the Add App Paths and Add
      SendTo Shortcuts. There are also two for HTML. You can right
      click over the Clip and choose "Edit Clip" to see the registry
      changes that will be made, so you can remove them if you want to.
      Or you can just put ^!ClearRegValue in place of ^!SaveRegValue
      for every Clip you clicked on.

      Also try the Open on the Windows Explorer content menu and the
      SendTo if you add it from the Utilities Library or manually.

      When you add the file types in NoteTab's Associations you do not
      add the period in front of the file type (txt only), but I don't
      think it makes a difference. I think it excepts both, but
      ignores the period when adding it to the list.

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • Brad Kinser
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
        Thanks for the help Jody.

        I had never encountered an app that took an association, yet only spawned a blank page before, so it has had be perplexed.

        I don't have NoteTab installed right now, but I will see if these suggestions help when I try again after my laptop arrives. I'm very rusty at HTML, so on the rare occasion that I edit any HTML files, I just cheat and use FrontPage... *grin* As for using the Send-To menu item to open docs in NoteTab, I believe that worked previously, but I was spoiled with the direct association, so that's what I'm shooting for this time around. I'm also not concerned about replacing Notepad, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the associations for TXT files would not hold because of Notepad being the Win2000 default editor AND it being a "watched" system file. I think that's what spawned the whole confusion. I will try your suggestions and will double-check to make sure DDE is not enabled.

        Thanks,

        Brad

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
          Hi All,

          Due to the problems reported lately with NoteTab and Win2K Pro, I ran some
          tests to see if I could reproduce any of the reported problems.

          Before I list the results, let me just say that NoteTab Light, NoteTab Pro
          Trial, and good old NoteTab Pro Registered Version performed flawlessly.

          Tests were run on an IBM ThinkPad 700MHZ Laptop with 256MB of RAM running
          Win2K Pro 5.00.2195.

          All signs of NoteTab were removed from the system and the Notepad.exe files
          were restored to original configuration.

          Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

          NoteTab Light was downloaded from Dr. File Finder's FTP site and FAILED to
          unzip properly on 3 separate Downloads.

          NoteTab Light was then downloaded from NoteTab's other USA site and
          unzipped okay.

          NTL was installed using all defaults and NO commercial options.

          In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was ADDED and NTL was exited.

          Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

          In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was REMOVED and NTL was exited.

          Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

          Repeating the above sequence worked properly everytime with/without rebooting.

          With no files associated to NTL, I replaced Notepad with NoteTab Light
          using the REVISED procedure below with the path and filename changed to
          those for NoteTab Light by copy and pasting them from the Explorer window
          to the below Notepad.ini file.

          Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

          The same test was performed with NoteTab Pro Trial and it too worked
          properly in all respects.

          Finally NoteTab Pro Registered Version was put back on and it works
          properly in all respects.

          If the above does not work correctly for you, then the only guess I have is
          that you have either contaminated NoteTab install files/registry entries
          or you have a different version of Win2K Pro.

          I have a new version on hand but it is 3:30 AM and I'm too tired to go
          there tonight.

          I will be upgrading to the newer version soon and if the problem is still
          plaguing us I will redo the tests after the Win2k Pro upgrade.

          Hope this helps your confidence in NoteTab running in Win2K - It did mine :-).

          Jim

          HOW TO REPLACE NOTEPAD WITH NOTETAB PRO (REGISTERED VERSION) IN WINDOWS 2000
          Revised July 7, 2001

          (Make necessary alterations for path and file name variations and for other
          NoteTab versions)
          (It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct - Triple
          check yourself)

          1) Go to MY COMPUTER|TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEW TAB
          and make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned ON

          2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
          if you want to preserve an original copy for use with UNICODE files.

          3) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to
          C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.MS
          Rename C:\WINNT\System32 \NOTEPAD.EXE to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.MS
          (to preserve the original copies for future use)

          NOTE: Renaming EACH Notepad.exe will bring up the Windows File Protection
          dialog box
          (it may be hidden behind other windows on your screen) - Click Cancel

          It will then prompt that you chose not to restore original versions - Click Yes

          4) Copy C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPAD.STB to
          C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB

          5) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE

          6) In NoteTab, create the attached NOTEPAD.INI file and Save As
          C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.INI

          NOTE: This points to the NoteTab Pro executable. You will need to edit it if
          NoteTab Pro is not in the default folder or if you are using a different
          version of NoteTab.
          It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct including
          spaces where applicable - Triple check yourself.

          HINT: copy and pasting the path and file name from the Explorer window to
          the below Notepad.ini file will help to insure that they are accurate.

          <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
          (The contents of NOTEPAD.INI should look exactly like this - check syntax
          carefully.)
          --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
          [Application]
          ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
          --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
        • Brad Kinser
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
            Jody,

            I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...

            I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today, after making sure there were no obvious registry entries related to it, then associated TXT and INI files to it. It acted exactly as I've described in previous posts. On a hunch, I disabled three application skinning apps that I use at home, WindowsBlinds, WindowFX and IconPackager. Then I removed all vestiges of NoteTab Light from my hard drive and registry, rebooted and installed it again. Same result.

            I again removed all remnants of NoteTab Light from my machine, then downloaded and installed NoteTab Pro. I again associated TXT and INI files with it. It works like a champ now. It didn't occur to me at that time to save the registry entries for NoteTab Light and compare them with those of NoteTab Pro so I could send them to you, but I wanted to tell you what I did, in case someone else has this problem and you want to investigate further.

            As long as I get the same results on my laptop next week, I'll be registering the product.

            Thanks again for your help.

            Brad
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
              Brad,

              At 09:24 PM 7/8/01 -0700, you wrote:

              >I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...
              >
              >I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today,

              Do you by chance remember which of the 3 download sites you downloaded
              NoteTab Light from?

              I'm curious because I got bad downloads from Dr. File Finder's FTP site on
              3 separate Downloads last night.

              FYI, today I FDisked my Win2K laptop and rebuilt it from the ground up and
              before I loaded anything else, I re-tested both NoteTab Light and NoteTab
              Pro Trial and they both worked perfectly.

              The manual method of replacing Notepad with NoteTab only sounds difficult.

              All that is involved is"

              Rename 2 files
              Copy a file and rename it
              Type 2 lines in NoteTab and do a Save As

              It takes all of 2 minutes once you have done it 20 times :-).

              And it can be reversed in less time than that since reversing it is just
              renaming 3 files.
              The Notepad.ini file can be left there.

              Good luck with your laptop and don't take the wager serious - I didn't :-).

              Jim
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                Hi Brad,

                You should not have any problem with it.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Jody,

                  It turns out NoteTab Pro does NOT like one of my GUI enhancement apps, specifically WindowFX (part of Stardock Software's Object Desktop shell enchancement suite). Fortunately, you can set WindowFX and WindowBlinds to exclude individual applications if they seem to be adversely affected. I had it running in the background for so long that it never dawned on me that it might be the cause of the problem.

                  I hope this is useful information.

                  Regards,

                  Brad

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Jim,

                    It was a fair wager, all in all. No harm in promoting the product with a friendly challenge.

                    Regards,

                    Brad

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                      Hi Brad,

                      I'm glad you found the problem! Somewhere along the way I forget to mention other software conflicting with it. Sure was a strange problem and I am happy you could not have it do NoteTab.