RE: [NTB] NoteTab, File Associations and Win 2000

  • Brad Kinser
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 7, 2001
      Jim,

      Your wager is interesting and I'm tempted to accept, but at the moment I'm not in significant need of a better editor than Notepad. However, that will likely change in the next few weeks. I will consider your offer, but only with one change: I will not accept responsibility for even one additional registered user. Rest assured that if I can get it to work the way it's intended, I will recommend it to several people I know who would likely benefit from it. I won't act as a saleperson though. I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way. I'm simply not interested in hounding my friends to register software. That's their responsibility. Fortunately, most of them share my ethical conviction that registering shareware is the right thing to do.

      Likewise, I wouldn't expect you to refund my registration fee yourself, but I would appreciate your help troubleshooting the problem, should I decided to register before getting it to work properly on my machine.

      I have recently purchased a new laptop which will be delivered with Win2000 installed. I will consider your wager before I attempt to install it on that machine.

      Regards,

      Brad

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
        Hi Brad,

        >When I double click an associated file it opens NoteTab, if not
        >already open, but it does not open the document--only a blank new
        >document. If NoteTab is already open, it will continue to open
        >new blank documents instead of the double-clicked associated
        >files.

        That is what I wanted to know, not that I have a fix, but that
        you were being switch to NoteTab and a new file is added every
        time instead of just see it like when you first open the program
        (with not files open when you shutdown last) meaning there would
        be NoName001.txt there, that is being incremented. That is some
        different altogether than the "normal" Win2000 wanting to keep
        control of Notepad.

        Check in Windows Explorer in Options | File types and make sure
        you do *not* have DDE checked.

        >I'm fairly sure there isn't some corrupted registry hook
        >lingering since I've re-installed Win2000 on this particular
        >system and gotten the same exact problem. Since Mr. Hall has
        >verified that it works as designed with Win2000, I'm beginning to
        >think that there may be something painfully simple that I'm
        >overlooking, such as the syntax of the associations as they're
        >added, or setting that perhaps I'm reading as meaning something
        >different than what is intended.

        There are a great many users running NoteTab properly in Win2000.
        The biggest complaint we have is not being able to use NoteTab as
        the default editor and especially Edit in IE. I haven't heard of
        the problem you are reporting and I've been getting reports since
        Win2k came out. The majority of them were, "I just upgraded to
        Win2000 and there is no "Replace MS Notepad" on the Help menu
        like there was in Win9x. It appears you have it associated
        since NoteTab is responding, but instead of receiving a file it
        just opens a new doc. That is strange to say the least.

        I have a Clip I will send you that Grant made. I don't think he
        is on this list, but is on Clips (?) and for sure the HTML list.
        Have you activated the Utilities Library and looked under the
        NoteTab Shortcuts section? If not, try the Add App Paths and Add
        SendTo Shortcuts. There are also two for HTML. You can right
        click over the Clip and choose "Edit Clip" to see the registry
        changes that will be made, so you can remove them if you want to.
        Or you can just put ^!ClearRegValue in place of ^!SaveRegValue
        for every Clip you clicked on.

        Also try the Open on the Windows Explorer content menu and the
        SendTo if you add it from the Utilities Library or manually.

        When you add the file types in NoteTab's Associations you do not
        add the period in front of the file type (txt only), but I don't
        think it makes a difference. I think it excepts both, but
        ignores the period when adding it to the list.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Brad Kinser
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
          Thanks for the help Jody.

          I had never encountered an app that took an association, yet only spawned a blank page before, so it has had be perplexed.

          I don't have NoteTab installed right now, but I will see if these suggestions help when I try again after my laptop arrives. I'm very rusty at HTML, so on the rare occasion that I edit any HTML files, I just cheat and use FrontPage... *grin* As for using the Send-To menu item to open docs in NoteTab, I believe that worked previously, but I was spoiled with the direct association, so that's what I'm shooting for this time around. I'm also not concerned about replacing Notepad, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the associations for TXT files would not hold because of Notepad being the Win2000 default editor AND it being a "watched" system file. I think that's what spawned the whole confusion. I will try your suggestions and will double-check to make sure DDE is not enabled.

          Thanks,

          Brad

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
            Hi All,

            Due to the problems reported lately with NoteTab and Win2K Pro, I ran some
            tests to see if I could reproduce any of the reported problems.

            Before I list the results, let me just say that NoteTab Light, NoteTab Pro
            Trial, and good old NoteTab Pro Registered Version performed flawlessly.

            Tests were run on an IBM ThinkPad 700MHZ Laptop with 256MB of RAM running
            Win2K Pro 5.00.2195.

            All signs of NoteTab were removed from the system and the Notepad.exe files
            were restored to original configuration.

            Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

            NoteTab Light was downloaded from Dr. File Finder's FTP site and FAILED to
            unzip properly on 3 separate Downloads.

            NoteTab Light was then downloaded from NoteTab's other USA site and
            unzipped okay.

            NTL was installed using all defaults and NO commercial options.

            In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was ADDED and NTL was exited.

            Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

            In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was REMOVED and NTL was exited.

            Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

            Repeating the above sequence worked properly everytime with/without rebooting.

            With no files associated to NTL, I replaced Notepad with NoteTab Light
            using the REVISED procedure below with the path and filename changed to
            those for NoteTab Light by copy and pasting them from the Explorer window
            to the below Notepad.ini file.

            Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

            The same test was performed with NoteTab Pro Trial and it too worked
            properly in all respects.

            Finally NoteTab Pro Registered Version was put back on and it works
            properly in all respects.

            If the above does not work correctly for you, then the only guess I have is
            that you have either contaminated NoteTab install files/registry entries
            or you have a different version of Win2K Pro.

            I have a new version on hand but it is 3:30 AM and I'm too tired to go
            there tonight.

            I will be upgrading to the newer version soon and if the problem is still
            plaguing us I will redo the tests after the Win2k Pro upgrade.

            Hope this helps your confidence in NoteTab running in Win2K - It did mine :-).

            Jim

            HOW TO REPLACE NOTEPAD WITH NOTETAB PRO (REGISTERED VERSION) IN WINDOWS 2000
            Revised July 7, 2001

            (Make necessary alterations for path and file name variations and for other
            NoteTab versions)
            (It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct - Triple
            check yourself)

            1) Go to MY COMPUTER|TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEW TAB
            and make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned ON

            2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
            if you want to preserve an original copy for use with UNICODE files.

            3) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to
            C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.MS
            Rename C:\WINNT\System32 \NOTEPAD.EXE to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.MS
            (to preserve the original copies for future use)

            NOTE: Renaming EACH Notepad.exe will bring up the Windows File Protection
            dialog box
            (it may be hidden behind other windows on your screen) - Click Cancel

            It will then prompt that you chose not to restore original versions - Click Yes

            4) Copy C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPAD.STB to
            C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB

            5) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE

            6) In NoteTab, create the attached NOTEPAD.INI file and Save As
            C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.INI

            NOTE: This points to the NoteTab Pro executable. You will need to edit it if
            NoteTab Pro is not in the default folder or if you are using a different
            version of NoteTab.
            It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct including
            spaces where applicable - Triple check yourself.

            HINT: copy and pasting the path and file name from the Explorer window to
            the below Notepad.ini file will help to insure that they are accurate.

            <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
            (The contents of NOTEPAD.INI should look exactly like this - check syntax
            carefully.)
            --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
            [Application]
            ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
            --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
          • Brad Kinser
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
              Jody,

              I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...

              I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today, after making sure there were no obvious registry entries related to it, then associated TXT and INI files to it. It acted exactly as I've described in previous posts. On a hunch, I disabled three application skinning apps that I use at home, WindowsBlinds, WindowFX and IconPackager. Then I removed all vestiges of NoteTab Light from my hard drive and registry, rebooted and installed it again. Same result.

              I again removed all remnants of NoteTab Light from my machine, then downloaded and installed NoteTab Pro. I again associated TXT and INI files with it. It works like a champ now. It didn't occur to me at that time to save the registry entries for NoteTab Light and compare them with those of NoteTab Pro so I could send them to you, but I wanted to tell you what I did, in case someone else has this problem and you want to investigate further.

              As long as I get the same results on my laptop next week, I'll be registering the product.

              Thanks again for your help.

              Brad
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 8, 2001
                Brad,

                At 09:24 PM 7/8/01 -0700, you wrote:

                >I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...
                >
                >I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today,

                Do you by chance remember which of the 3 download sites you downloaded
                NoteTab Light from?

                I'm curious because I got bad downloads from Dr. File Finder's FTP site on
                3 separate Downloads last night.

                FYI, today I FDisked my Win2K laptop and rebuilt it from the ground up and
                before I loaded anything else, I re-tested both NoteTab Light and NoteTab
                Pro Trial and they both worked perfectly.

                The manual method of replacing Notepad with NoteTab only sounds difficult.

                All that is involved is"

                Rename 2 files
                Copy a file and rename it
                Type 2 lines in NoteTab and do a Save As

                It takes all of 2 minutes once you have done it 20 times :-).

                And it can be reversed in less time than that since reversing it is just
                renaming 3 files.
                The Notepad.ini file can be left there.

                Good luck with your laptop and don't take the wager serious - I didn't :-).

                Jim
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                  Hi Brad,

                  You should not have any problem with it.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                    Jody,

                    It turns out NoteTab Pro does NOT like one of my GUI enhancement apps, specifically WindowFX (part of Stardock Software's Object Desktop shell enchancement suite). Fortunately, you can set WindowFX and WindowBlinds to exclude individual applications if they seem to be adversely affected. I had it running in the background for so long that it never dawned on me that it might be the cause of the problem.

                    I hope this is useful information.

                    Regards,

                    Brad

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                      Jim,

                      It was a fair wager, all in all. No harm in promoting the product with a friendly challenge.

                      Regards,

                      Brad

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 9, 2001
                        Hi Brad,

                        I'm glad you found the problem! Somewhere along the way I forget to mention other software conflicting with it. Sure was a strange problem and I am happy you could not have it do NoteTab.