Re: [NTB] NTP 485 trial version differs from commercial version ?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2001
      Hi Julie and John,

      >> What is the difference between the NTB 485 trial version and
      >> the commercial version ?
      >
      >I offer, for your consideration, a chart found on the http://notetab.com/
      >site <http://notetab.com/chart.htm>.

      It is also in the Help file under Comparison Chart. This is it
      following with a few of my comments first. BTW, I just type
      "compare" into Eudora and copy it. What you see below is sent to
      Eudora form NoteTab. Don't bother trying on your machine. You
      need a certain Clipbook to do it with. ;)

      Main advantages of NoteTab Pro over NoteTab Std:

      Speed
      Very fast "Replace All" command
      URL and HTML-tag highlighting
      Multiple-level undo/redo
      Option to show nonprinting characters
      Edit and easily create Outline Documents
      Convert tabs to spaces
      Bookmarks
      Wrap to column in real time
      Line-number ruler
      Choice between real/fixed/smart tabs

      Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:

      Works better with Asian languages
      Can use variable width fonts in document window
      Multiple tabulator settings (Distance between tab stops)
      16 MB paragraph size

      Comparison Chart

      NoteTab Pro NoteTab Std NoteTab Light
      General speed Very fast Average Average
      "Replace All" speed Very fast Average to slow Average to slow
      Show nonprinting characters Yes No No
      Multiple-level undo/redo Yes No No
      Bookmarks Yes No No
      URL and HTML highlighting Yes No No
      Use OEM fonts Yes No No
      Use variable-width fonts No Yes Yes
      Spell checker + thesaurus Yes Yes No
      Drag-and-drop editing Yes Yes Yes
      Disk Search & Replace Yes Yes Replace only during trial mode
      Supports Perl & Gawk Yes Yes Only during trial mode
      Programmable Yes Yes Partially
      Read & write EBCDIC Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
      Read & write outline files Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
      Multiple tabulator settings No Yes Yes
      Can wrap text to column Yes Not in real time Not in real time
      Show line numbers Yes No No
      Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2GB
      Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 16 MB 16 MB
      Cost (in USD) $19.95 $9.95 Free

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2001
        John,

        >What is the difference between the NTB 485 trial version and the commercial
        >version ?

        That you haven't paid anything yet and that it will expire. If you are
        referring Pro it will stop to work after 30 days (?) and if you are trying
        out Light in Standard mode it will revert to Light after 30 days (?).
        Neither is as far as I know feature limited.

        Lotta

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2001
          Hi Lotta and John,

          Both Pro Trial and Light with commercial features turned on
          (which makes it Std for 30 days) do have a limitation that is
          different from the registered versions. Both are minus the Spell
          Checker and Thesaurus.

        • jehall@jimbow.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2001
            --- In notetab@y..., 009@t... wrote:
            > What is the difference between the NTB 485 trial version and the
            commercial
            > version ?

            The registered version adds a thesaurus and a multilingual spell
            checker.

            Jim