Help files as clear as mud

  • 009@telia.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2001
      I cannot see any reason on the requirement to add the word Outline to the
      header, when the program could do it automatically . WHy not add the word:
      halleluya ?

      --------------------------- this is what Stephen Riddle
      wrote---------------------

      Happy Note Tab`n
      John
      009@...
      Sweden
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2001
        Hi John,

        Most of you probably know where the delete key is so you don't
        have to waist your time or be bothered with this. It *may*
        concern the ones answering on this thread or others following
        it though.

        Please know that when I make posts on the lists that I am not
        representing Fookes Software (FS) nor am I answering as a FS Sales and Support employee. The first few list were
        started by me before I became an employee and remain my lists, so
        I speak somewhat freely on them being just another person on the
        lists saying things and answering posts in a different manner
        that I do when supporting FS.

        >I cannot see any reason on the requirement to add the word
        >Outline to the header, when the program could do it automatically
        >. WHy not add the word: halleluya ?

        If "halleluya" was added you would probably complain about the
        spelling. If the word "Outline" were added you would finally
        have something legitimate to complain and/or be sarcastic about
        which is explained below a few paragraphs till the end.

        I had a long post typed out to send to you on the list a couple
        days ago, even longer than this one. When I write a message like
        it I feel it is best for me to sit on it for a bit and read it
        again latter to be sure I want to send it. I will send it to you
        in private eMail so I do not burden the list members with it. I
        would like to openly congratulate you though for being the second
        person in about five years of the NoteTab list to receive a
        message like it. As Jim Hall once put it, "Enough is enough!"
        The list members that have been around for a few years or since
        the birth of the NoteTab list know that I take an extreme amount
        of abuse from list members towards the program, towards the
        programmer - Eric Fookes, and towards other list members and I am
        very slow to do something about it. I always do my best to give
        the list member the benefit of the doubt long past his due limit
        hoping he will change his mannerism. 'nuff said on that.

        Stephen Riddle already told you a couple reasons why there is a
        manual way of doing it. A little thought would tell you why it
        is not added with all the information you have received so far.
        Creating Outlines is not a feature of NoteTab Light. In Pro and
        Std it is and all one has to do is click on File | New Outline...
        like I mentioned in one of my early posts about making Outlines
        before I knew you were in Light. Stephen mentioned he thought it
        was very nice of Eric to put a method in Help on about creating
        an Outline manually to help users (which users of Light happen to
        benefit from it (Freeware) making one very easy. A couple of
        members already pointed out how clear the Help was to them to
        follow and it was the first time they are tried it. (At least it
        was the first time for one of them.) To put it even plainer
        spend $19.95 or $9.95 and NoteTab will add Outline in the header
        for you and make it just a couple of clicks to create a new
        Outline.

        The manual method comes in handy when one has an existing file
        with the headings in place to convert it to can Outline. If one
        were to use a Regular Expression when converting a correctly
        formatted file, all the Outline headings for each topic could be
        done with a click.

        If the word Outline was automatically added to the header when
        one is using the Library tool, it would no longer be a Clipbook
        Library which it the real reason for the tool. It would turn in
        to an Outline instead. That is explained in Help and a number of
        times on the list already.

        There are a number of list members that give up their valuable
        time to help other list members out as Jim Hall mentioned. We do
        not have the time to continually repeat ourselves and take the
        abuse that is so falsely dished out dished out by you. Eric
        Fookes has gone way beyond his "call of duty": in reading and
        implemented requests from users (freeware alike when he plainly
        states it is not supported), personal eMail support, support on
        the lists, spending a great many hours programming till he falls
        asleep while working, has given free updates to registered users
        way past what the majority of programmers would do, has written a
        very extensive Help file when comparing it with other programs
        (and we all agree that it can be better and will be), continues
        to add features to Light (Freeware), has kept the price the same
        for about or over three years even when we receive many
        suggestions to raise it and take some features out of Light; and
        the list of really nice things he does/hard work exceed way
        beyond a lot of other programmers/companies... the list goes on
        and on.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2001
          Hello John,

          >I cannot see any reason on the requirement to add the word Outline to the
          >header, when the program could do it automatically . WHy not add the word:
          >halleluya ?

          NoteTab Pro and Standard offer a command to create Outline files without
          going through the manual procedure described in the Help file. NoteTab
          Light was not intended for developing those type of documents. It is a
          feature provided in the commercial versions. The Help file includes a topic
          for experienced users who may find it useful to create outline files
          manually under certain circumstances.

          If you want full support for Outline documents, you'll have to purchase a
          registered copy of NoteTab.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

        • Stephen Riddle
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2001
            John, I'm sorry but you're being a bit odd here.
            How else is noteTab supposed to know how to treat the document as an
            outline?

            Stephen