Navigating in NTB outline document

  • 009@telia.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5 1:20 PM
      When working in an Outline document , let's call it T1 , the insertion
      point always starts at the beginnig of a heading H1 as soon as I change to
      another heading H2 and return to heading H1
      It is not so when I change to another tab T2 and return to T1 H1

      Happy Note Tab`n
      John
      009@...
      Sweden
    • Brad Kinser
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 6 2:49 PM
        Hello list members,

        I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I hope you'll forgive me for asking again. Simply put, I cannot get NoteTab Light to open a document that I've associated with the program (using it's file association options--not those in Windows 2000 itself) by double-clicking the file in Explorer. When I try to open that way, it opens a new blank document. I can open things using the "Open" option on the "File" menu, or by right-clicking the file and selecting the "Open With" option and choosing NoteTab, but I much prefer the ability to simply double-click the file.

        I've tried following the directions I found on this list previously which involved making NoteTab the replacement for Notepad. That did not work--in fact, it seemed to nullify the associations, even after I reset them.

        When I first looked into this problem in the fall of 2000, I was told that you do not need a registered version in order to have this kind of functionality. Since I couldn't get the problem solved, I gave up and went back to using a lesser editor. Since I'm now seeing activity on this list, I thought I would ask again. I used NoteTab Light for a couple of weeks under Windows 98 SE and I loved it! But I can't justify registering it if I can't get the same functionality under Windows 2000.

        Thank you for any help you can provide.

        Brad Kinser
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 6 5:23 PM
          Hi Brad,

          At the moment I cannot think of what might be causing that, but I
          have a few questions. When you double click on an associated
          file are you switched into NoteTab or are you manually switching
          and seeing a new document there? Also, can you always reproduce
          the problem after rebooting? You might try opening the
          Associations tab in Options, Remove the file type, and click OK
          so the registry gets updated. Go back in Options and Add the
          file type back. I assume you have tried this with other editors?
          Does the same thing happen whether NoteTab is open or closed?
          How about with the program icon on the Taskbar or in the system
          tray?

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 6 5:33 PM
            Hi John,

            >When working in an Outline document , let's call it T1 , the
            >insertion point always starts at the beginnig of a heading H1 as
            >soon as I change to another heading H2 and return to heading H1
            >It is not so when I change to another tab T2 and return to T1 H1

            That is correct. The cursor position is not remembered between
            different Headings and Topics. We will be using a different
            input control and style of Outlines in version 5, namely,
            multiple level headings (Explorer style). Perhaps you might want
            to request that when it comes time for beta testing in version 5
            which is a ways off yet. I do notice when switching directories
            in Windows Explorer that the file selected does not stay selected
            when leaving the folder FWIW. ;)

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 6 9:35 PM
              >I've tried following the directions I found on this list
              >previously which involved making NoteTab the replacement for
              >Notepad. That did not work--in fact, it seemed to nullify the
              >associations, even after I reset them.
              >
              >When I first looked into this problem in the fall of 2000, I was
              >told that you do not need a registered version in order to have
              >this kind of functionality. Since I couldn't get the problem
              >solved, I gave up and went back to using a lesser editor. Since
              >I'm now seeing activity on this list, I thought I would ask
              >again. I used NoteTab Light for a couple of weeks under Windows
              >98 SE and I loved it! But I can't justify registering it if I
              >can't get the same functionality under Windows 2000.

              Hello,

              I don't know if you've tried this method or, if it is applicable
              to W2k, but it is worth a shot.
              This procedure may be for W2k, in W98se I have to click on 2 EDIT
              choices to get to a place to change the program name. Just try
              substituting NoteTab Pro and its path for NotePad or WordPad.

              Good Luck,

              hrs

              How do I correct a flawed association? PC Magazine

              Ernie Jellinek from Cherry Hill, New Jersey asks:

              Until recently, I've been able to open a text document by
              double-clicking its name in Windows Explorer. Now, when I
              double-click a file such as C:\My Documents\ Financial.txt,
              WordPad comes up with an error message, saying: Can't open C:\My.
              Check the path. I have to use WordPad's File > Open menu item.
              What can I do to fix this?

              Neil J. Rubenking's Answer: Text files are associated with
              NotePad by default. You changed that association to use WordPad
              instead, and omitted a few vital characters. Here's how to fix
              the problem. From Explorer's View menu, choose Options (or Folder
              Options). Click the File Types tab, select Text Document from the
              list, and click Edit.Select the open action and click Edit.

              The Application used to perform action box will refer to Wordpad
              .exe, probably using its full pathname in 8.3 short filename
              format. Following that, you should have a space, double-quote,
              percent-sign, the number 1, and another double-quote--like this:

              C:\Progra~1\Access~1\WORDPAD .EXE "%1"

              What you probably have after the pathname is either %1 without
              quotes, or nothing at all. Fix that entry and click ok. Now your
              text files should launch properly in WordPad.
            • psteeper@ns.sympatico.ca
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7 5:08 AM
                Hi Brad,
                I'm using Notetab Pro with Windows 2000 and I have .txt, .ini, .html
                associated with Notetab.
                You can do this by right clicking on the file you wish to associate
                with Notetab. Select Properties. Click on the Change button and
                select the program you wish to associate with the file.
                That should do it.

                Peter Steeper
                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                www.velohalifax.ca

                --- In notetab@y..., "Brad Kinser" <digital-knight@h...> wrote:
                > Hello list members,
                >
                > I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I hope you'll
                forgive me for asking again. Simply put, I cannot get NoteTab Light
                to open a document that I've associated with the program (using it's
                file association options--not those in Windows 2000 itself) by double-
                clicking the file in Explorer
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 7 2:18 PM
                  Brad,

                  At 02:49 PM 7/6/01 -0700, you wrote:
                  >But I can't justify registering it if I can't get the same functionality
                  >under Windows 2000.

                  I have at times been known to make a gentleman's wager.

                  I am so confident in NoteTab Pro running in Win2K Pro that I make this
                  offer to you.

                  If you purchase a registered version of NoteTab Pro and you can prove that
                  NoteTab Pro is the reason that you are not allowed to open text files by
                  association in NoteTab Pro running in Win2k Pro, I'll give you the
                  registration fee back myself.

                  If however, it works as advertised, you must agree to recommend it to
                  others and be responsible for at least one new registered user.

                  If it turns out that something in your Win2K Pro
                  installation/configuration is the culprit then I will help you resolve it
                  in order that you can enjoy the full power of NTP in Win2k Pro.

                  If you accept my challenge then just tell Jody that you want a registered
                  copy and he will give you all of the necessary details to make it happen.

                  The gauntlet is thrown :-).

                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 7 4:15 PM
                    Hi Ernie,

                    I seem to have misread your post. Look in the Utilities Library
                    under the NoteTab Shortcut's section. There are a number of
                    shortcuts there and one should take care of the Edit in IE. You
                    should be able to simply go to View | Options | Associations and
                    remove txt if it is there and then clicking OK. Open Options
                    again and Add txt. Just Add it if it is not there to begin with.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 7 5:06 PM
                      Hi Jim and Brad,

                      >If you accept my challenge then just tell Jody that you want a
                      >registered copy and he will give you all of the necessary details
                      >to make it happen.
                      >
                      >The gauntlet is thrown :-).

                      I certainly won't argue that point (or the other that it does
                      indeed run under Win2000). The only difference between Win2k and
                      Win85/98/NT is that we do not have Replace/Restore MS Notepad on
                      the Help menu, but do have a few different work arounds for that
                      depending on what end results you want.

                      There is only one main problem that I am aware of and that
                      involves View in Browser on some WinME systems. It is an ME bug
                      from what we can tell and possibly coupled with certain
                      computers. OH, one more that seems to happen in Win98 only is
                      when clicking on files in Windows Explorer NoteTab does not
                      always focus with the file. If one switches into and back out of
                      NoteTab it works fine. I have the same problem with other
                      program associations and it normally works fine on a fresh reboot.
                      There are some minor glitches here and there, but they are minimal
                      and a lot of times are machine/OS specific.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 7 10:53 PM
                        Thanks for the advice, but I'm afraid it's not that easy in Win2000, at least from my experience. Notepad is a file that is tracked by Win2000's system file integrity applet. As soon as it's renamed or removed, Win2000 prompts you for it's install media to replace the file. A previous post I read stated that you can ignore that warning while substituting NoteTab for Notepad, but in my case it did not work.

                        Brad

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 7 11:06 PM
                          Jody,

                          To answer your questions...

                          When I double click an associated file it opens NoteTab, if not already open, but it does not open the document--only a blank new document. If NoteTab is already open, it will continue to open new blank documents instead of the double-clicked associated files. I can, however, open any document compatible with NoteTab via the "Open" option on the File menu. The problem is constant. I have tried removing associations and adding them back, but that had no effect. I've tried changing file associations through the file properties in Windows Explorer, but that made no difference. I uninstalled NoteTab, cleaned what entries for it I could find from the registry and re-installed it, only to get the same results.

                          I am an experienced user of Win2000, NT and 98, so I'm familiar with how to manipulate file associations through the OS. Unfortunately, nothing I've tried seems to work. I'm fairly sure there isn't some corrupted registry hook lingering since I've re-installed Win2000 on this particular system and gotten the same exact problem. Since Mr. Hall has verified that it works as designed with Win2000, I'm beginning to think that there may be something painfully simple that I'm overlooking, such as the syntax of the associations as they're added, or setting that perhaps I'm reading as meaning something different than what is intended.

                          Brad

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 7 11:10 PM
                            Harvey,

                            I was quite thorough in attempting to change the file associations manually through the OS, but it did not respond the way it should have. Thanks for the try though.

                            Brad

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 7 11:22 PM
                              Jim,

                              Your wager is interesting and I'm tempted to accept, but at the moment I'm not in significant need of a better editor than Notepad. However, that will likely change in the next few weeks. I will consider your offer, but only with one change: I will not accept responsibility for even one additional registered user. Rest assured that if I can get it to work the way it's intended, I will recommend it to several people I know who would likely benefit from it. I won't act as a saleperson though. I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take it that way. I'm simply not interested in hounding my friends to register software. That's their responsibility. Fortunately, most of them share my ethical conviction that registering shareware is the right thing to do.

                              Likewise, I wouldn't expect you to refund my registration fee yourself, but I would appreciate your help troubleshooting the problem, should I decided to register before getting it to work properly on my machine.

                              I have recently purchased a new laptop which will be delivered with Win2000 installed. I will consider your wager before I attempt to install it on that machine.

                              Regards,

                              Brad

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 8 12:12 AM
                                Hi Brad,

                                >When I double click an associated file it opens NoteTab, if not
                                >already open, but it does not open the document--only a blank new
                                >document. If NoteTab is already open, it will continue to open
                                >new blank documents instead of the double-clicked associated
                                >files.

                                That is what I wanted to know, not that I have a fix, but that
                                you were being switch to NoteTab and a new file is added every
                                time instead of just see it like when you first open the program
                                (with not files open when you shutdown last) meaning there would
                                be NoName001.txt there, that is being incremented. That is some
                                different altogether than the "normal" Win2000 wanting to keep
                                control of Notepad.

                                Check in Windows Explorer in Options | File types and make sure
                                you do *not* have DDE checked.

                                >I'm fairly sure there isn't some corrupted registry hook
                                >lingering since I've re-installed Win2000 on this particular
                                >system and gotten the same exact problem. Since Mr. Hall has
                                >verified that it works as designed with Win2000, I'm beginning to
                                >think that there may be something painfully simple that I'm
                                >overlooking, such as the syntax of the associations as they're
                                >added, or setting that perhaps I'm reading as meaning something
                                >different than what is intended.

                                There are a great many users running NoteTab properly in Win2000.
                                The biggest complaint we have is not being able to use NoteTab as
                                the default editor and especially Edit in IE. I haven't heard of
                                the problem you are reporting and I've been getting reports since
                                Win2k came out. The majority of them were, "I just upgraded to
                                Win2000 and there is no "Replace MS Notepad" on the Help menu
                                like there was in Win9x. It appears you have it associated
                                since NoteTab is responding, but instead of receiving a file it
                                just opens a new doc. That is strange to say the least.

                                I have a Clip I will send you that Grant made. I don't think he
                                is on this list, but is on Clips (?) and for sure the HTML list.
                                Have you activated the Utilities Library and looked under the
                                NoteTab Shortcuts section? If not, try the Add App Paths and Add
                                SendTo Shortcuts. There are also two for HTML. You can right
                                click over the Clip and choose "Edit Clip" to see the registry
                                changes that will be made, so you can remove them if you want to.
                                Or you can just put ^!ClearRegValue in place of ^!SaveRegValue
                                for every Clip you clicked on.

                                Also try the Open on the Windows Explorer content menu and the
                                SendTo if you add it from the Utilities Library or manually.

                                When you add the file types in NoteTab's Associations you do not
                                add the period in front of the file type (txt only), but I don't
                                think it makes a difference. I think it excepts both, but
                                ignores the period when adding it to the list.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 8 2:42 AM
                                  Thanks for the help Jody.

                                  I had never encountered an app that took an association, yet only spawned a blank page before, so it has had be perplexed.

                                  I don't have NoteTab installed right now, but I will see if these suggestions help when I try again after my laptop arrives. I'm very rusty at HTML, so on the rare occasion that I edit any HTML files, I just cheat and use FrontPage... *grin* As for using the Send-To menu item to open docs in NoteTab, I believe that worked previously, but I was spoiled with the direct association, so that's what I'm shooting for this time around. I'm also not concerned about replacing Notepad, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the associations for TXT files would not hold because of Notepad being the Win2000 default editor AND it being a "watched" system file. I think that's what spawned the whole confusion. I will try your suggestions and will double-check to make sure DDE is not enabled.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Brad

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 8 5:03 AM
                                    Hi All,

                                    Due to the problems reported lately with NoteTab and Win2K Pro, I ran some
                                    tests to see if I could reproduce any of the reported problems.

                                    Before I list the results, let me just say that NoteTab Light, NoteTab Pro
                                    Trial, and good old NoteTab Pro Registered Version performed flawlessly.

                                    Tests were run on an IBM ThinkPad 700MHZ Laptop with 256MB of RAM running
                                    Win2K Pro 5.00.2195.

                                    All signs of NoteTab were removed from the system and the Notepad.exe files
                                    were restored to original configuration.

                                    Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

                                    NoteTab Light was downloaded from Dr. File Finder's FTP site and FAILED to
                                    unzip properly on 3 separate Downloads.

                                    NoteTab Light was then downloaded from NoteTab's other USA site and
                                    unzipped okay.

                                    NTL was installed using all defaults and NO commercial options.

                                    In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was ADDED and NTL was exited.

                                    Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

                                    In NTL OPTIONS|ASSOCIATIONS the extension "txt" was REMOVED and NTL was exited.

                                    Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in Notepad.

                                    Repeating the above sequence worked properly everytime with/without rebooting.

                                    With no files associated to NTL, I replaced Notepad with NoteTab Light
                                    using the REVISED procedure below with the path and filename changed to
                                    those for NoteTab Light by copy and pasting them from the Explorer window
                                    to the below Notepad.ini file.

                                    Double clicking on a .txt file opened it properly in NoteTab Light.

                                    The same test was performed with NoteTab Pro Trial and it too worked
                                    properly in all respects.

                                    Finally NoteTab Pro Registered Version was put back on and it works
                                    properly in all respects.

                                    If the above does not work correctly for you, then the only guess I have is
                                    that you have either contaminated NoteTab install files/registry entries
                                    or you have a different version of Win2K Pro.

                                    I have a new version on hand but it is 3:30 AM and I'm too tired to go
                                    there tonight.

                                    I will be upgrading to the newer version soon and if the problem is still
                                    plaguing us I will redo the tests after the Win2k Pro upgrade.

                                    Hope this helps your confidence in NoteTab running in Win2K - It did mine :-).

                                    Jim

                                    HOW TO REPLACE NOTEPAD WITH NOTETAB PRO (REGISTERED VERSION) IN WINDOWS 2000
                                    Revised July 7, 2001

                                    (Make necessary alterations for path and file name variations and for other
                                    NoteTab versions)
                                    (It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct - Triple
                                    check yourself)

                                    1) Go to MY COMPUTER|TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEW TAB
                                    and make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned ON

                                    2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
                                    if you want to preserve an original copy for use with UNICODE files.

                                    3) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to
                                    C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.MS
                                    Rename C:\WINNT\System32 \NOTEPAD.EXE to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.MS
                                    (to preserve the original copies for future use)

                                    NOTE: Renaming EACH Notepad.exe will bring up the Windows File Protection
                                    dialog box
                                    (it may be hidden behind other windows on your screen) - Click Cancel

                                    It will then prompt that you chose not to restore original versions - Click Yes

                                    4) Copy C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPAD.STB to
                                    C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB

                                    5) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE

                                    6) In NoteTab, create the attached NOTEPAD.INI file and Save As
                                    C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.INI

                                    NOTE: This points to the NoteTab Pro executable. You will need to edit it if
                                    NoteTab Pro is not in the default folder or if you are using a different
                                    version of NoteTab.
                                    It is imperative that the path and filenames be 100% correct including
                                    spaces where applicable - Triple check yourself.

                                    HINT: copy and pasting the path and file name from the Explorer window to
                                    the below Notepad.ini file will help to insure that they are accurate.

                                    <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
                                    (The contents of NOTEPAD.INI should look exactly like this - check syntax
                                    carefully.)
                                    --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
                                    [Application]
                                    ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
                                    --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
                                  • Brad Kinser
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 8 9:24 PM
                                      Jody,

                                      I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...

                                      I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today, after making sure there were no obvious registry entries related to it, then associated TXT and INI files to it. It acted exactly as I've described in previous posts. On a hunch, I disabled three application skinning apps that I use at home, WindowsBlinds, WindowFX and IconPackager. Then I removed all vestiges of NoteTab Light from my hard drive and registry, rebooted and installed it again. Same result.

                                      I again removed all remnants of NoteTab Light from my machine, then downloaded and installed NoteTab Pro. I again associated TXT and INI files with it. It works like a champ now. It didn't occur to me at that time to save the registry entries for NoteTab Light and compare them with those of NoteTab Pro so I could send them to you, but I wanted to tell you what I did, in case someone else has this problem and you want to investigate further.

                                      As long as I get the same results on my laptop next week, I'll be registering the product.

                                      Thanks again for your help.

                                      Brad
                                    • Jim Hall
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 8 11:20 PM
                                        Brad,

                                        At 09:24 PM 7/8/01 -0700, you wrote:

                                        >I conducted a little experimentation today and found something interesting...
                                        >
                                        >I installed the latest version of NoteTab Light on my home machine today,

                                        Do you by chance remember which of the 3 download sites you downloaded
                                        NoteTab Light from?

                                        I'm curious because I got bad downloads from Dr. File Finder's FTP site on
                                        3 separate Downloads last night.

                                        FYI, today I FDisked my Win2K laptop and rebuilt it from the ground up and
                                        before I loaded anything else, I re-tested both NoteTab Light and NoteTab
                                        Pro Trial and they both worked perfectly.

                                        The manual method of replacing Notepad with NoteTab only sounds difficult.

                                        All that is involved is"

                                        Rename 2 files
                                        Copy a file and rename it
                                        Type 2 lines in NoteTab and do a Save As

                                        It takes all of 2 minutes once you have done it 20 times :-).

                                        And it can be reversed in less time than that since reversing it is just
                                        renaming 3 files.
                                        The Notepad.ini file can be left there.

                                        Good luck with your laptop and don't take the wager serious - I didn't :-).

                                        Jim
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 9 12:03 PM
                                          Hi Brad,

                                          You should not have any problem with it.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 9 10:36 PM
                                            Jody,

                                            It turns out NoteTab Pro does NOT like one of my GUI enhancement apps, specifically WindowFX (part of Stardock Software's Object Desktop shell enchancement suite). Fortunately, you can set WindowFX and WindowBlinds to exclude individual applications if they seem to be adversely affected. I had it running in the background for so long that it never dawned on me that it might be the cause of the problem.

                                            I hope this is useful information.

                                            Regards,

                                            Brad

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 9 10:38 PM
                                              Jim,

                                              It was a fair wager, all in all. No harm in promoting the product with a friendly challenge.

                                              Regards,

                                              Brad

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 9 10:53 PM
                                                Hi Brad,

                                                I'm glad you found the problem! Somewhere along the way I forget to mention other software conflicting with it. Sure was a strange problem and I am happy you could not have it do NoteTab.