Help files as cleas as mud

  • 009@telia.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
      Here is a piece of text from the Help menu reguarding how to convert a
      normal document to Outline doc
      There is a relatively quick way to convert an existing document into an
      outline. Basically, an outline file uses the same structure as a Clipbook
      library. To start off, create a new library file by using the Tools |
      Clipbook | New Library menu command. This will create a new document with
      the appropriate Clipbook header. Add the keyword Outline to the header.
      Next, copy the document that needs converting into the new library file
      (You can use the Document | Insert File command). Then, change all the
      topic headings so they use the following format:

      This is exactly the same text as in Help460 ; it is as clear as mud. As I
      have written earlier, I could not figure it out. This is no step ny step
      instruction what to do, nor an example. So I wonder if NTB has some plans
      to rewrite some parts of the help files.

      Happy Note Tab`n
      John
      009@...
      Sweden
    • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2001
        John/009,

        You're not much of a spy, are you?

        > So I wonder if NTB has some plans to rewrite some parts of the help
        files.

        Jody answered one of your other posts more than a week ago, starting
        with:

        "The Help will be completely rewritten for version five, so there
        really isn't much reason to harp on it since it may as well be
        water under the bridge now..."

        Although I never use outline-files I followed the procedure as
        described in the help file step by step... And it was clear to me.
        Suppose you have a textfile like this:

        Introduction
        This text is about the NoteTab Outlines
        Chapter1
        Conversion of Normal Documents to Outline Documents
        is done in the following way.

        --------------
        Here is the helpfile again, chopped up in smaller steps...

        1.
        "To start off, create a new library file by using the Tools |
        Clipbook | New Library menu command."

        Clear to me, you can do that too...

        2.
        "This will create a new document with the appropriate Clipbook
        header. Add the keyword Outline to the header."

        Write the word Outline at the top (example is at the end of the help-
        page: = V5 Outline MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30)

        Will not be the main problem, I guess...

        3.
        "Next, copy the document that needs converting into the new library
        file (You can use the Document | Insert File command)."

        Copy and Paste. You know how to do that?

        4.
        "Then, change all the topic headings so they use the following format:

        [Blank Line]
        H="Topic Heading"
        [Topic Content]..."

        Okay, this may be confusing: but remember: [Blank Line] needs to be
        an empty line (just hit "Enter" before the words that should be the
        Topic Heading"; [Topic Content] will be replaced in your document by
        the actual text describing the topic. Again: see for the exact format
        a couple of lines further down the help-page...

        5.
        "You can use the Clipbook tool to help you with this task if you have
        many headings. Create a Clip with the following text (note that it
        should not start or end with a blank line; otherwise the Clipbook
        tool will be confused):

        H="^&"..."

        You do not have to use the clipbook - but if you do: just select the
        desired outline heading (e.g. Chapter 1) and then hit CTRL+SPACE
        (requires that the insert Heading-clip is active). If you don't know
        how to write a clip: read the Help-file :-) ...
        Anyway... the result should be like this:

        Introduction
        This text is about the NoteTab Outlines

        H="Chapter1"
        Conversion of Normal Documents to Outline Documents
        is done in the following way.

        Chapter1 will actually appear as the Outline heading in your Outline-
        document...

        As the help says: do this procedure for all Headings...

        6.
        "Once you've finished converting the document, choose Save As and
        rename the file so that it uses the ".otl" extension. Close and then
        reopen the document... That's it."

        The .OTL extension maybe the biggest problem. After the Save As
        command you'd better Rename the document in order to change the name
        from something as "outline.otl.clb" into "outline.otl".

        Hugo