Re: [NTB] NTP keeping files open after closing

    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hi Jim,

      >>You should not even see Replace/Restore Notepad on the Help menu
      >>in Win2000.
      >
      >Right you are, I was thinking of an older version (maybe a Beta??) I used a
      >year ago and didn't notice the difference until after I sent the post.

      Sounds good to me. ;)

      >So many parameters, so little memory available (and fading fast it seems :-)

      RAM is real cheap now-a-days. haha

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 20, 2003
        On 20 Aug 2003 at 18:34, hsavage wrote:

        > My computer was put together by my local computer store, and apparently, if
        > FAT32 is a default they didn't chose it, NTFS is the way my drive is
        > formatted but that would have been my preference anyway, I understand it's a
        > superior format.

        Cool. You actually get more out of the drive by going with NTFS.

        > I have experienced file locking, at least, that's what I thought it
        > was. My file manager has viewing capabilities and if I view and try to
        > delete a file that's open in NTP I get the error (warning message), or if I
        > try to save or delete a file, through NTP that's being viewed in the file
        > manager, I get the error.

        I just did an experiment. I opened a test file, did some edits to throw
        in some text, then saved and closed it. I then went to windows explorer
        and deleted the file - something I didn't expect it to do, since the file
        was still being held with NTP. Going back to NTP and trying to reopen that
        file proved impossible since it had been deleted. Okay. I think we need
        to go back and look at the original post to see what the problem was. I've
        gotten myself confused because of the weird way things are working now.
        This is all under XP Pro with NTP 4.95.

        --
        Robert

        Thought for the day: The successful man is the one who finds out what is
        the matter with his business before his competitors do. Roy L. Smith