Re: [NTB] NTP keeping files open after closing

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 2, 2001
      Wayne,

      At 12:07 AM 7/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
      >I am specifically wondering if part of the cause is file
      >sharing on a local area network? Also if this happens to anyone else,
      >people email me anything you can observe about it.

      FWIW - More thoughts on this Win2K problem

      I often negligently have the same file open in NTP (or NTP and another
      application) on 2 computers on a LAN and it sometimes causes problems
      similar to those that Terry is having.

      In my home office, I am running 2 machines with Win98SE and one with Win2K
      Pro on the same LAN and have not yet been able to make the problem occur on
      any of the machines.

      When I did have this problem before, it was on a LAN with the same OS mix
      but the machine running Win2K Pro was a PII 350 with only 64MB of RAM and
      as well it periodically had some major delay problems working with the
      other machines.

      In my home office it's on a PIII 700 with 256MB of RAM and I don't have any
      problems at all.

      Since in Windows, several different text files are associated with Notepad
      by default
      I wonder if it is possible that when Notepad is NOT replaced by NoteTab
      that Windows gets a little confused (even though the file is being
      associated in NoteTab) and thinks that 2 applications (Notepad & NoteTab)
      have the file open at the same time. I haven't investigated this. I would
      suspect too that it depends on how one opened the file in NoteTab.

      Being lazy, I always replace Notepad with NoteTab and usually open NoteTab
      by association by simply clicking on the file in the Explorer window.

      Glad to see others working on this bugger.

      Regards,

      Jim
    • Robert Romberger
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 20, 2003
        On 20 Aug 2003 at 18:34, hsavage wrote:

        > My computer was put together by my local computer store, and apparently, if
        > FAT32 is a default they didn't chose it, NTFS is the way my drive is
        > formatted but that would have been my preference anyway, I understand it's a
        > superior format.

        Cool. You actually get more out of the drive by going with NTFS.

        > I have experienced file locking, at least, that's what I thought it
        > was. My file manager has viewing capabilities and if I view and try to
        > delete a file that's open in NTP I get the error (warning message), or if I
        > try to save or delete a file, through NTP that's being viewed in the file
        > manager, I get the error.

        I just did an experiment. I opened a test file, did some edits to throw
        in some text, then saved and closed it. I then went to windows explorer
        and deleted the file - something I didn't expect it to do, since the file
        was still being held with NTP. Going back to NTP and trying to reopen that
        file proved impossible since it had been deleted. Okay. I think we need
        to go back and look at the original post to see what the problem was. I've
        gotten myself confused because of the weird way things are working now.
        This is all under XP Pro with NTP 4.95.

        --
        Robert

        Thought for the day: The successful man is the one who finds out what is
        the matter with his business before his competitors do. Roy L. Smith