Notetab files don't load

  • Mars Descent
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2001
      I downloaded some Outline files. Unzipped, it presents the file. I
      double-click on it, but it does not load.

      I get a window that says Open With. A few problems here, for number 1, I
      scroll through a list it presents, and nowhere does it say Notetab! Other
      problem is a checkbox ticked which says "Always use this program to open
      this file". If I ever pick anything, it seems to want to make my dumb
      decision permanent by default.

    • J.E.HALL
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2001
        Mars,

        At 12:06 AM 7/1/01 -02-30, you wrote:
        >I downloaded some Outline files. Unzipped, it presents the file. I
        >double-click on it, but it does not load.
        >
        >I get a window that says Open With. A few problems here, for number 1, I
        >scroll through a list it presents, and nowhere does it say Notetab! Other
        >problem is a checkbox ticked which says "Always use this program to open
        >this file". If I ever pick anything, it seems to want to make my dumb
        >decision permanent by default.

        Try Placing a Shortcut to NoteTab.exe in your C:\Windows\SendTo folder and
        instead of using OPEN WITH use SEND TO and SEND the file to NoteTab and see
        if that helps.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2001
          Hi Mars,

          >I downloaded some Outline files. Unzipped, it presents the file. I
          >double-click on it, but it does not load.

          Sounds like .otl for some reason isn't associated with NTB. Go to Options |
          Associations There you find a list of all files associated with NTB so
          far. Write "otl" in the little box above the list and click the Add button.
          Done.

          Bye,
          Lotta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
            Hi Lotta and Mars,

            >> I downloaded some Outline files. Unzipped, it presents the
            >> file. I double-click on it, but it does not load.
            >
            >Sounds like .otl for some reason isn't associated with NTB. Go to
            >Options | Associations There you find a list of all files
            >associated with NTB so far.

            NoteTab does not automatically (by option) associate files
            anymore. The following is why if you feel like reading it.

            Long time users of NoteTab using the same INI file for years may
            have a list put in Options under Associations by NoteTab when the
            user chose to do so upon installation of the program (or just
            manually added them over time). The option during installation
            caused too many problem reports to come in because new computer
            users answered "Yes" without knowing what they answered "Yes" to.
            A lot of the complaints were something like: NoteTab has a virus;
            it took over my computer! They were referring to the association
            icon on their .txt, .ini, etc. files. The "red" icon was all
            over their desktop. While those of you that have a bit of
            experience might chuckle at that, it was a "serious problem" to a
            new computer user, especially when they would delete NoteTab's
            directory to try to get rid of the "virus." Of course you know
            there was no virus or problems to begin with. ;) Anyway, the
            short of it is Eric remove that option from the installation
            program.

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Mars Descent
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001