Re: [NTB] Emailing from Note Tab Pro

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 11 9:19 PM
      Hi 009@...,

      >It works. Thank you.But it seems unnecessar to show a new clip
      >bar which only occupies screen area for just one or two clips.

      I and I image many others have a default Clipbar that we have a
      number of frequently used Clips

      >By the way, in what programming language is NTB writtten ?

      If you are speaking of NoteTab itself, PASCAL with Delphi as a
      tool to aid. If you are specking of the Clip language, it is one
      of Eric's inventions.

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • John Engel
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 11 11:46 PM
        Dear sir
        I would like to send an email directly from Note Tab by highlighting the
        text and then click on some command that would place the text into my
        Outlook Express, Eudora or whatever. Is this possible ?

        John Engel
        009@...
        Happy NoteTab`n
      • J.E.HALL
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 12 12:54 AM
          John,
          At 08:46 AM 6/12/01 +0200, you wrote:
          >Dear sir
          >I would like to send an email directly from Note Tab by highlighting the
          >text and then click on some command that would place the text into my
          >Outlook Express, Eudora or whatever. Is this possible ?

          Sort of.

          You can Open/create a document in NTP and Select SEND under the FILE menu
          and both OE and Eudora can automatically open a New Message window with the
          ENTIRE document in it.

          Then you would have to cut anything that you didn't want to send.

          A work around is to create an intermediate file consisting of only the
          selected text and then SEND it.

          This can be done in a round about fashion using the FORMAT EMAIL Library
          clips that come with NoteTab or by using the PASTEBOARD feature in the
          DOCUMENTS menu.

          Otherwise you could write a custom clip to do it exactly the way you want
          however I don't believe that the SEND command can be invoked via a clip.
          That would still require you to click on the SEND command after creating
          the new document.

          Regards,

          Jim
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 12 10:49 AM
            Hi John,

            With a Clip it is.

            >I would like to send an email directly from Note Tab by
            >highlighting the text and then click on some command that would
            >place the text into my Outlook Express, Eudora or whatever. Is
            >this possible ?

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Peter Reisman
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 13 9:20 AM
              This is still a problem, to send by E-mail just a selected text !
              it is much too complicated the way you suggest below
              The File Send command has limited value since it can only send the entire
              document
              --------------------------------

              > >I would like to send an email directly from Note Tab by highlighting the
              > >text and then click on some command that would place the text into my
              > >Outlook Express, Eudora or whatever. Is this possible ?
              >

              >You can Open/create a document in NTP and Select SEND under the FILE menu
              >and both OE and Eudora can automatically open a New Message window with the
              >ENTIRE document in it.
              >
              >Then you would have to cut anything that you didn't want to send.
              >
              >A work around is to create an intermediate file consisting of only the
              >selected text and then SEND it.
              >
              >This can be done in a round about fashion using the FORMAT EMAIL Library
              >clips that come with NoteTab or by using the PASTEBOARD feature in the
              >DOCUMENTS menu.

              >Jim
            • RS
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 13 1:23 PM
                Hi Peter,

                At 06:20 PM 6/13/01 +0200, you wrote:
                >This is still a problem, to send by E-mail just a selected text !

                All you need is a clip like this:

                H=Send Selection
                ^!EMAIL ;;^$GetSelection$

                The first two parameters are Address and Subject. Hard code them if you
                wish, or use a wizard to get them. Or just fill them out on your email client.

                The code above will open a new email message in your default email program,
                which ** MUST BE OPENED BEFORE ** (otherwise NoteTab will try to open MS
                Exchange).

                Hope this helps.

                Best regards,

                Ramon Silvera

                ClipWriter 2.5

                Understand clips written by others. -- Find the commands you need
                quickly and without effort! -- Make NoteTab do your bid!
                And, whether an advanced programmer or just a beginner,
                program NoteTab faster, easier, more efficiently ...

                http://ptools.home.att.net/ClipWriter/cw.htm

              • 009@telia.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 13 10:42 PM
                  Your clip is working, but not as I want
                  The selected text is cut out and not copied and the text H = Send Selection
                  appears instead.
                  Is it possible to place this command in the File menu ?

                  If NTB requires learning a whole new programming "Clip language NTB" , i e
                  specialized for just NTB and nothing else, I am really in doubt if it is
                  worth while.... How long time does it take and which is the best help file ?

                  >All you need is a clip like this:
                  >
                  >H=Send Selection
                  >^!EMAIL ;;^$GetSelection$
                  >

                  >The first two parameters are Address and Subject. Hard code them if you
                  >wish, or use a wizard to get them. Or just fill them out on your email client.
                  >
                  >The code above will open a new email message in your default email program,
                  >which ** MUST BE OPENED BEFORE ** (otherwise NoteTab will try to open MS
                  >Exchange).

                  it opens Eudora, I dont have MsExchange, I use Windows 98

                  >Hope this helps.
                  >

                  >Best regards,
                  >
                  >Ramon Silvera

                  >ClipWriter 2.5
                  >
                  >Understand clips written by others. -- Find the commands you need
                  >quickly and without effort! -- Make NoteTab do your bid!
                  >And, whether an advanced programmer or just a beginner,
                  >program NoteTab faster, easier, more efficiently ...
                  >
                  > http://ptools.home.att.net/ClipWriter/cw.htm

                  Happy Note Tab`n
                  John
                  009@...
                  Sweden
                • Pete Hoyle
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 14 7:08 AM
                    At 07:42 AM 6/14/01 +0200, 009@... wrote:

                    >If NTB requires learning a whole new programming "Clip language NTB"
                    >, i e
                    >specialized for just NTB and nothing else, I am really in doubt if it is
                    >worth while.... How long time does it take and which is the best help
                    >file ?

                    Just a comment from a relatively new user who has not yet learned Clip
                    language... NoteTab seems to be a very powerful and useful editor "out
                    of the box". Built-in features like regular-expression search and
                    replace can be incredibly productive. Of course it doesn't do
                    everything, but that is what the clip language is for. (Contrast many
                    other programs that do what they do, and if that isn't sufficient, too
                    bad.) If you want to extend it to do something specific, you can. Is is
                    worth it? That is up to you. If you have another tool that does what
                    you want, use it instead.

                    I haven't been here long enough to know the underlying philosophy that
                    says what features to build in. I think the best thing to do would be
                    to include features that seem universally desired and then features
                    that lie outside the scope of the clip language, i.e. new primitive
                    operations. That allows those users who want to tailor their copy to
                    their own special needs to do so. It also allows users to publish
                    single clips or useful packages so that others can benefit from their
                    additions.

                    Maybe some users with more experience should comment....
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 15 4:20 PM
                      Hi Peter,

                      >This is still a problem, to send by E-mail just a selected text !
                      >it is much too complicated the way you suggest below The File
                      >Send command has limited value since it can only send the entire
                      >document

                      I think ideally you would want a Clip to check for a selection
                      first an if found it would send only the selection. Otherwise,
                      the whole document would be sent. By now you probably know you
                      need to be on the Clips list for Clips. I don't know why the
                      ^!email code RS sent in should cut the selection out. Off the
                      top of my head looking at it it should not cut the text out.

                      Happy Clip'n!

                      Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                      http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips
                    • RS
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 15 9:22 PM
                        Hello 009,

                        At 07:42 AM 6/14/01 +0200, you wrote:

                        >Your clip is working, but not as I want
                        >The selected text is cut out and not copied and the text H = Send Selection
                        >appears instead.

                        The "H = Send Selection" is the clip's header. It shouldn't be in the code
                        part of the clip. You were expected to add the clip using the aDd From
                        Clipboard on the Clipbook list's context menu. To fix it, now, just edit
                        the clip and delete that line. (To edit the clip, open the Clipbook using
                        the F4 key, navigate to the Library containing it, select the clip and then
                        right-click and choose Edit Clip. After modifying it, use the save button
                        to save the Library and close the clip editor by right-clicking on its Tab
                        and selecting Close.)

                        >Is it possible to place this command in the File menu ?

                        No. But you can create a button on the Clipbar.

                        >If NTB requires learning a whole new programming "Clip language NTB" , i
                        >e specialized for just NTB and nothing else, I am really in doubt if it
                        >is worth while.... How long time does it take and which is the best help
                        >file ?

                        You can see there are lots of people on the NoteTab Clip list, so it must
                        be worth the while. But, even if there weren't many, even if not a single
                        soul in the planet were programming it, think of what it can do for you!

                        So far, NoteTab is the only program that I know where you are not
                        constrained to the functionality the author built in. You can program it
                        yourself to do whatever you need, and in a language that is not much more
                        complicated than Basic. This is probably a trend we are going to see in
                        other applications in the future (think of VBA, for example), but so far
                        NoteTab is the one and only.

                        As for how long it takes, it depends on what you want to do. You want to
                        just insert your name in a document? That takes no time at all: you already
                        know how -- remember the "H = Send Selection" problem you mentioned. On the
                        other extreme, if you intend to write MS Word in NoteTab that will take you
                        a lifetime, besides proving impossible. In between those cases, there are
                        infinite possibilities.

                        You learn as you need. There is no such thing as "knowing" a programming
                        language. Just look for the commands to do what you want to do today.

                        Finally, the "best help" is you yourself. There's a lot of available
                        material. I intend to post some links on my page as soon as I can find the
                        time -- and the links. I actually have them in an email I wrote answering a
                        ClipWriter user who wanted some guidelines on where to start with clip
                        writing, some time ago --- but I need to find that email.

                        The NoteTab Help file itself contains excellent help on the clip language,
                        to begin with. Then, Wayne VanWeerthuizen made an OTL with the clip
                        instructions from the Help file for easier access. There is Kay Roath's
                        "Intro" to clip writing, which you will find very helpful (I think there's
                        a link on the NoteTab site). Jim Hall wrote an introduction for beginning
                        programmers, too. And Jody Adair has a Clip Class, which is available for
                        download. I apologize for not having the links at hand at this time; but
                        again, they will be available on my page ---
                        http://ptools.home.att.net/main/index.htm --- whenever possible. ---
                        Perhaps if their authors read this, they'll be so kind as to post their
                        respective links to the list. Another resource is the ClipWriter reference,
                        which besides making easy to access the commands while you write, offers a
                        different approach and description of the NoteTab instructions which in
                        some cases might provide valuable insight.

                        Best regards,

                        Ramon Silvera

                        ClipWriter 2.5

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 15 9:35 PM
                          Hi Jody,

                          At 06:20 PM 6/15/01 -0500, you wrote:

                          >I don't know why the
                          >^!email code RS sent in should cut the selection out. Off the
                          >top of my head looking at it it should not cut the text out.

                          My apologies. I didn't notice it wasn't the clip list.

                          The reason the clip was cutting the selected text out was probably that the
                          user created a clip and then pasted the clip I sent, header and, all in the
                          code section. Thus, it was replacing the selected text with "H = Send
                          Selection".

                          We often forget to tell people new to NoteTab how to add a clip to a
                          library. And we have been there too!

                          Regards,

                          Ramon Silvera
                        • 009@telia.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 16 11:15 AM
                            OK, it works, thanks.

                            > >Your clip is working, but not as I want
                            > >The selected text is cut out and not copied and the text H = Send Selection
                            > >appears instead.
                            >
                            >The "H = Send Selection" is the clip's header. It shouldn't be in the code
                            >part of the clip. You were expected to add the clip using the aDd From
                            >Clipboard on the Clipbook list's context menu. To fix it, now, just edit....

                            > >Is it possible to place this command in the File menu ?
                            >
                            >No. But you can create a button on the Clipbar.

                            How ?

                            Happy Note Tab`n
                            John
                            009@...
                            Sweden
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 16 1:22 PM
                              Hi John,

                              >> >Is it possible to place this command in the File menu ?
                              >>
                              >>No. But you can create a button on the Clipbar.
                              >
                              >How ?

                              See http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm if you do not get
                              the Help file under Find | Clipbar

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 16 1:28 PM
                                Hi 009,

                                At 08:15 PM 6/16/01 +0200, you wrote:
                                >OK, it works, thanks.

                                You are welcome.

                                >> >Is it possible to place this command in the File menu ?
                                >>
                                >>No. But you can create a button on the Clipbar.
                                >
                                >How ?

                                If you do not have a clipbar visible, use the View|Clipbar menu to select
                                one. You can create a new clipbar if you prefer.

                                Now, with the clipbook open, drag the "Send Selection" clip to the clipbar
                                and drop it there.

                                Right-click on the new created button and click "Button Properties" to
                                customize its icon. There are two tabs with icons you can choose from:
                                "Toolbar Icons" and "Custom Icons". After selecting the icon of your
                                choice, click OK. Then, right-click anywhere on the clipbar and choose
                                "Save Clipbar", to save your new configuration.

                                If the explanation above is not enough or you encounter special problems,
                                you'll find full instructions in NoteTab's Help. Click on the Index tab and
                                just type "clipbar" to find the link, or look under the topic: "Using and
                                Creating Clipbars".

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 17 12:43 AM
                                  It works. Thank you.But it seems unnecessar to show a new clip bar which
                                  only occupies screen area for just one or two clips.
                                  It would be better if one could use the toolbar for that. By the way , in
                                  what programming language is NTB writtten ?

                                  > >>No. But you can create a button on the Clipbar.
                                  >
                                  > >How ?
                                  >
                                  >If you do not have a clipbar visible, use the View|Clipbar menu to select
                                  >one. You can create a new clipbar if you prefer.
                                  >
                                  >Now, with the clipbook open, drag the "Send Selection" clip to the clipbar
                                  >and drop it there.
                                  >
                                  >Right-click on the new created button and click "Button Properties" to
                                  >customize its icon. There are two tabs with icons you can choose from:
                                  >"Toolbar Icons" and "Custom Icons". After selecting the icon of your
                                  >choice, click OK. Then, right-click anywhere on the clipbar and choose
                                  >"Save Clipbar", to save your new configuration.
                                  >
                                  >If the explanation above is not enough or you encounter special problems,
                                  >you'll find full instructions in NoteTab's Help. Click on the Index tab and
                                  >just type "clipbar" to find the link, or look under the topic: "Using and
                                  >Creating Clipbars".
                                  >
                                  >Best regards,
                                  >
                                  >Ramon Silvera

                                  Happy Note Tab`n
                                  John
                                  009@...
                                  Sweden
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 18 10:09 AM
                                    Hi RS,

                                    >But I admit it's a matter of personal preference. If you feel
                                    >confortable having many clipboards, by all means stick to it.
                                    >Each one should use the approach that works best for him/her.

                                    Definitely. The four I have is more than I really use all the
                                    time. I mainly just use three and have a link to all of them on
                                    each Clipbar, so it is a matter of one click to get to the
                                    Clipbar and another to use the tool I need. It took me awhile to
                                    memorize where a lot of it was, but it is real easy now.

                                    >I still have a clip to change clipbars, if anybody is interested ...

                                    You can also go to the HTML Clipbars that come with NoteTab to see
                                    how it is done.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 18 12:23 PM
                                      Hi John,

                                      At 09:43 AM 6/17/01 +0200, you wrote:
                                      >It works. Thank you.But it seems unnecessar to show a new clip bar which
                                      >only occupies screen area for just one or two clips.

                                      You start with one or two clips. Who can tell how many you'll have after a
                                      while?

                                      I have 67 buttons on my clipbar, which occupies two rows. Its convenience
                                      far outweights the space it takes. And there are people who even have
                                      several clipbars! (I personally find switching clipbars too annoying --
                                      one's enough for me).

                                      Best regards,

                                      Ramon Silvera

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 18 10:00 PM
                                        Hi Jody,

                                        At 02:50 AM 6/19/01 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Hi RS and All,
                                        >
                                        >It's nice to see you posting again. ;)

                                        Thanks :)

                                        I'd like to have time to do it more often.

                                        >>I have 67 buttons on my clipbar, which occupies two rows. Its
                                        >>convenience far outweights the space it takes. And there are
                                        >>people who even have several clipbars! (I personally find
                                        >>switching clipbars too annoying --one's enough for me).
                                        >
                                        >I have a few and find it easy to switch back and forth. I have
                                        >one clickers on each Clipbar that I click on to switch Libraries.

                                        At the beginning, I tried having many clipbars, but most of the time the
                                        clipbar in use wasn't the one I expected. So it was always a double click
                                        --- one to change the clipbar and another one on the desired button. It
                                        didn't take long for me to lose my patience ...

                                        But I admit it's a matter of personal preference. If you feel confortable
                                        having many clipboards, by all means stick to it. Each one should use the
                                        approach that works best for him/her.

                                        I still have a clip to change clipbars, if anybody is interested ...

                                        Regards,

                                        RS
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 19 12:50 AM
                                          Hi RS and All,

                                          It's nice to see you posting again. ;)

                                          >You start with one or two clips. Who can tell how many you'll
                                          >have after a while?

                                          Each library can have up to about 5440 Clipbook items, and you
                                          can have up to 5440 libraries.

                                          I've had quite a lot of Clips on a Clipbar before. I image it
                                          will hold as many as can be fit when Wrap Toolbar is checked
                                          under the Toolbar tab in Options. The Clipbar follows the
                                          settings for the Toolbar. It makes no sense to uncheck the Wrap
                                          Toolbar because you cannot get to the buttons that are not seen
                                          out on the right once the edge of the window is met.

                                          >I have 67 buttons on my clipbar, which occupies two rows. Its
                                          >convenience far outweights the space it takes. And there are
                                          >people who even have several clipbars! (I personally find
                                          >switching clipbars too annoying --one's enough for me).

                                          I have a few and find it easy to switch back and forth. I have
                                          one clickers on each Clipbar that I click on to switch Libraries.

                                          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                                        • Alec Burgess
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                                            Sorry, I'm coming late to this thread (I've been auto-saving and finally
                                            found time to start reviewing them)
                                            This thread started back on Jun 12 w/question from John Engel
                                            <009@...>
                                            Original question was
                                            >>I would like to send an email directly from Note Tab by highlighting the
                                            text and then click on some command that would place the text into my
                                            Outlook Express, Eudora or whatever. Is this possible ?<<
                                            We started discussing intermediate files and then some fairly exotic clips
                                            (to which John) suggested this was "too complicated".
                                            Seems to me there was a "simple" method which got overlooked: (the response
                                            from J.E.HALL <jehall@...> came closest. There is now need for an
                                            "actual" intermediate file if we do the following:
                                            (1) put SendTo on the context menu
                                            (2) Select and then [copy] desired text in the file being edited.
                                            (3) Click "new" file
                                            (4) Click "paste"
                                            (5) rClick and then click sent-to
                                            At least for me the selected text (ie. the entire contents of the "new"
                                            buffer comes up in Outlook Express.
                                            Isn't that close enough?
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                                              Hi Alec,

                                              >Seems to me there was a "simple" method which got overlooked:
                                              >(the response from J.E.HALL <jehall@...> came closest.

                                              I don't think it got overlooked so much, as there were just other
                                              methods posted than File | Send (or the shortcut/toolbar
                                              options). File | Send does not work if the mail program does not
                                              support MAPI. You are right though for somebody that is perhaps
                                              new to computers or NoteTab unless you went into detail about
                                              other methods. I still think a Clip is best to use though
                                              because it can be done with a click (if you have "Single click to
                                              Execute" checked under Clipbook in Options) or put it on the
                                              Clipbar. (I'll send you a Clip Alec, so you can see what I am
                                              talking about in case you do not know how to do it.)

                                              You or others can look at an example Eric made if you download
                                              the TxtPrint Library he made to print using TxtPrint10, a nice
                                              small freeware printing utility. The Clips would basically be
                                              the same except instead of printing the selected text the Send
                                              command would be used. It all can be done with one Clip now. I
                                              think Eric made the Library before we got a command to be able to
                                              do it in one Clip. The link to his Library consisting of a
                                              couple of Clips can be downloaded from:

                                              TxtPrint.zip; 25 Oct 00; Fookes Software
                                              Do print previews from NoteTab (requires TxtPrint)

                                              http://www.notetab.com/libraries.htm links to:
                                              http://www.notetab.com/utilities.htm

                                              The link to text print is in the Library. Please sign up for the
                                              Clips list if you need to discuss the Clips or want a single Clip
                                              that can be put on your default Clipbar if you are in a
                                              registered version of NoteTab.