[NTB] Can "runaway" Replace or Find be interrupted?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
      I've been playing with Regular Expressions and sometimes (especially when I
      don't get it setup "correctly"), the program effectively "hangs". Is there
      any way to shutdown a "runaway" Find or Replace other than Ctl-Alt-Del? (I
      looked in the Keyboard Shortcuts hoping to find something - but no luck)

      Related question: Is there any way to change the font-size used by the
      Find-Replace Dialogue box? My eyes aren't what they used to be and just
      can't make out whether I've typed ^... (first three characters) or ^....
      (first four characters) etc....

      Regards ... Alec.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
        Hi Alec,

        > I've been playing with Regular Expressions and sometimes
        > (especially when I don't get it setup "correctly"), the program
        > effectively "hangs". Is there any way to shutdown a "runaway"
        > Find or Replace other than Ctl-Alt-Del? (I looked in the
        > Keyboard Shortcuts hoping to find something - but no luck)

        If the loop is not too fast and in a Clip you can use Ctrl+Alt.

        > Related question: Is there any way to change the font-size used
        > by the Find-Replace Dialogue box? My eyes aren't what they used
        > to be and just can't make out whether I've typed ^... (first
        > three characters) or ^.... (first four characters) etc....

        Only in the Find/Replace fields. Right click and you will see it
        in the Content menu. In fact, become a right click'n fool in
        every "section" of NoteTab you can find.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2001
          >Is there any way to shutdown a "runaway" Find or Replace other than Ctl-Alt-Del? <
          >>If the loop is not too fast and in a Clip you can use Ctrl+Alt.
          <<
          (Note: following is ALL totally without using ANY clips)
          I was playing around with trying to "strip" an executable down to just "readable" ASCII. I did the following:
          (1) Dropped "ntfree.zip" (fresh from www.notetab.com) into my regular Notetab edit window. (It replaced all the nulls with my chosen character "¿"
          (2) Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, [Close] [New] Ctrl-V (gives copy of .zip in NoName01
          (3) Ctrl-R (replace) (tick regular exp)
          -->Find="[^0-z][^0-z][^0-z][^0-z]+"
          -->Repl="x" (I verified by clicking [replace] one at a time that this replaced all strings of four or more non-printables with a single "x")
          (4) [Replace-All] gives the hour-glass, typing Ctrl+Alt does nothing.

          I guess this is: "too-fast" and not "in a Clip" - Correct?

          Question: Is there a way to lower the priority of NoteTab temporarily so that it can be interrupted with mouse or keyboard activity? (Same as (forinstance) Norton System Doctor can be interrupted while doing Defrag)

          Also: I'm using Win98. Does a three-finger salute to a "hung" Notetab cost me resources or am I left the same as I was before I started it up. (I'm trying to get a feel for what I can get away with and still avoid having to do a power-off-power-on reboot)

          >>> Related question: Is there any way to change the font-size used
          > by the Find-Replace Dialogue box? My eyes aren't what they used
          > to be and just can't make out whether I've typed ^... (first
          > three characters) or ^.... (first four characters) etc....

          Only in the Find/Replace fields. Right click ....<<

          Question: Is this answer being stored in .ini or somewhere else? I did Find for "font" in .ini - got a bunch of hits but don't think any of them was for this option?

          Regards .... Alec

            >(Note: following is ALL totally without using ANY clips)
            >I was playing around with trying to "strip" an executable down to just "readable" ASCII. I did the following:
            >(1) Dropped "ntfree.zip" (fresh from www.notetab.com) into my regular Notetab edit window. (It replaced all the nulls with my chosen character "¿"
            >(2) Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, [Close] [New] Ctrl-V (gives copy of .zip in NoName01
            >(3) Ctrl-R (replace) (tick regular exp)
            >-->Find="[^0-z][^0-z][^0-z][^0-z]+"
            >-->Repl="x" (I verified by clicking [replace] one at a time that this replaced all strings of four or more non-printables with a single "x")
            >(4) [Replace-All] gives the hour-glass, typing Ctrl+Alt does nothing.
            >
            >I guess this is: "too-fast" and not "in a Clip" - Correct?

            I find that when I use some RegExp code that is not correct in
            the regular Replace dialog that it gets hung at times.
            Ctrl+Alt+Del is the only way I have found to stop it. I don't
            know what causes that. Ctrl+Alt only works with Clips and does
            not work all the time like when the script is in a loop that has
            perhaps one command to do before it repeats so that it happens so
            fast NoteTab cannot get an interrupt in.

            >Question: Is there a way to lower the priority of NoteTab
            >temporarily so that it can be interrupted with mouse or keyboard
            >activity? (Same as (forinstance) Norton System Doctor can be
            >interrupted while doing Defrag)

            Like a screen saver I suppose. No, but you can use some
            functions in a script such as ^$IsAltKeyDown$ so that in a loop
            NoteTab will check to see if that key is down and if so, does
            what you tell it to in the script. The other Ctrl keys have the
            function too.

            >Also: I'm using Win98. Does a three-finger salute to a "hung"
            >Notetab cost me resources or am I left the same as I was before I
            >started it up. (I'm trying to get a feel for what I can get away
            >with and still avoid having to do a power-off-power-on reboot)

            I really don't know. I would suspect that every thing would
            normal up, but that is a guess. You might run NoteTab and the
            restart again to see if there is a difference.

            >Only in the Find/Replace fields. Right click ....<<
            >
            >Question: Is this answer being stored in .ini or somewhere else?
            >I did Find for "font" in .ini - got a bunch of hits but don't
            >think any of them was for this option?

            There are a number of places in the ini file for various places
            that NoteTab uses. The Find/Replace dialog is in the
            [ReplaceDialog] section.

            Happy Clip'n!

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips