URLs in HTML View

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2001
      The following is a repeat message. I didn't see any response. Please
      re-post the reply.

      Thank you,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ

      *********** repeat ***********
      To All

      I noticed that when I convert an outline to an HTML document, any URLs that
      were in the outline entries are preserved, but they are not clickable. That
      is, in the resulting HTML document, the URL is present, but the user cannot
      launch his/her browser by clicking or double clicking on the URL.

      The URL is highlighted in blue while it is in the outline document, but it
      is not highlighted in the HTML conversion.

      When I create the HTML version of the outline, I use Modify | Document to
      HTML | With Paragraph Tags.

      Is there some alternate method that preserves the "clickability" of URLs?

      I'm using NTPro V4.84.

      Thanks for the help.
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2001
        On Mon, 21 May 2001 11:58:49 -0400, Ray Shapp wrote:

        > I noticed that when I convert an outline to an HTML document, any URLs that
        > were in the outline entries are preserved, but they are not clickable. That
        > is, in the resulting HTML document, the URL is present, but the user cannot
        > launch his/her browser by clicking or double clicking on the URL.
        >
        > The URL is highlighted in blue while it is in the outline document, but it
        > is not highlighted in the HTML conversion.
        >
        > When I create the HTML version of the outline, I use Modify | Document to
        > HTML | With Paragraph Tags.
        >
        > Is there some alternate method that preserves the "clickability" of URLs?

        Ray:

        I think you'd probably have to write a clip to convert all URLs into
        URLs embedded in hyperlink tags, and run that prior to doing what you're
        now doing.

        PH

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2001
          At 12:38 PM 05/21/01, Dr.Paul Harder wrote:

          >I think you'd probably have to write a clip to convert all URLs into
          >URLs embedded in hyperlink tags, and run that prior to doing what
          >you're
          >now doing.

          As far as I can tell, this has to be done after the conversion. If you
          set up your

          prior to Modify | Document to HTML| With paragraph tags the <> will be
          replaced with the escape characters < and > respectively, thus:

          However you could do a simple search and replace to replace the escape
          codes with the appropriate < and >

          HTH

          Rick Friedline
        • bmckiern@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 22, 2001
            Ray,

            This works for me, I hope it will for you. In your original outline document, simply enclose the URL in square brackets (e.g., [http://www.notetab.com]). When NoteTab converts to HTML, the link will become "clickable".

            Brian McKiernan

            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2001
              Hi Ray,

              I missed this last go round, perhaps it is what you are looking for.

              When you do not have Tools | Quick Open Links checked you do not
              have to hold the Ctrl key down to click the link. If you do not
              have it checked, then you need to hold the Ctrl key down while
              clicking.

              Try going to my Snatch-A-Clip page and get the Clip to extract
              URLs from an HTML doc. (I think it is called "Extract Links".)

              http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab