find and replace failure

  • Pete Hoyle
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2001
      Hello -- I'm a relatively new user of NoteTab Light. I've run into one
      particular case where the find and replace feature seems to fail. If
      the search is for a regular expression, and that regular expression
      ends in $ (to match the whole line), and the replacement expression
      contains either & or a code like \1, \2, etc., THEN NoteTab says it has
      performed the replacements, reporting the correct number of hits. BUT,
      the text remains unchanged.

      This happened with version 4.84, so I upgraded to 4.85, but that didn't
      help.

      Is this a known problem? Can others reproduce it? Am I overlooking
      something obvious? Since I'm using the Lite (free) version, I know the
      only support is via this list. If the problem is real, is there a
      chance the author will see my posting and perhaps fix it in a later
      version?

      I DID find a circumvention. I changed the regular expression to use \n
      (new-line sequence) instead of $ (end of line position), and then was
      sure to put a \n in the replacement expression. That worked. But I
      think the $ version should have worked as well, and it would have been
      more straightforward.