People's Choice award...

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      Here's a chance for your to vote for NoteTab again, if you think it
      deserves another chance to win the People's Choice award. The vote page is
      at the following link:

      http://www.siafvoting.com/siafvote/index.cfm

      The most appropriate category for NoteTab is probably "Best Application".
      And if you appreciate any of our other titles, like Easy Thumbnails, Album
      Express, and Mailbag Assistant, maybe you can find a place for them too in
      the form ;-)

      Thanks for your continued support and your patience with NoteTab 5.0 (yes,
      I am working on it).

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2001
        HOW TO REPLACE NOTEPAD WITH NOTETAB PRO IN WINDOWS 2000

        Original Author Not Known

        (Make necessary alterations for path variations and for other NoteTab versions)

        1) Go to MY COMPUTER|TOOLS|FOLDER OPTIONS|VIEW TAB
        and make sure you have SHOW HIDDEN FILES turned ON

        2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
        if you want to preserve an original copy for future use

        3) Delete C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE

        4) Rename C:\WINNT\System32 \NOTEPAD.EXE to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.MS
        (to preserve the original copy for future use)

        5) This will bring up the Windows File Protection dialog box
        (it may be hidden behind other windows on your screen)

        6) Click Cancel

        7) It will prompt that you chose not to restore original versions

        8) Click Yes

        9) Copy C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NOTEPAD.STB to
        C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB

        10) Rename C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.STB to C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.EXE

        11) In NoteTab, create the attached NOTEPAD.INI file and Save As
        C:\WINNT\System32\NOTEPAD.INI
        (This points to the NoteTab pro executable. You will need to edit it if
        NoteTab is not in the default folder: "C:\Program Files\NoteTab
        Pro\NotePro.exe"}

        <<NOTEPAD.INI>>
        (The contents of NOTEPAD.INI look like this)

        --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
        [Application]
        ExeName="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"
        --------------------------------8<-------- cut here
      • Rush Family
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2001
          Yes but... If you do this you will no longer be able to edit such files as
          system.adm, attached. In notpad, no prob, but in Notetab, cannot do...

          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2001
            That's not a plain text file. I wouldn't recommend using notepad either.

            Message 5 of 9 , May 10, 2001
              At 06:00 PM 5/10/01, you wrote:
              >Yes but... If you do this you will no longer be able to edit such files as
              >system.adm, attached. In notpad, no prob, but in Notetab, cannot do...
              >
              >2) Copy C:\WINNT\System32\DLLCache\NOTEPAD.EXE to an archive folder
              > if you want to preserve an original copy for future use

              I placed this procedure on the Basic list to answer a query on the Beta
              list in hopes that it would reach others who might not monitor the Beta
              list, yet might be interested.

              In retrospect, it arrived with no explanation and appears to have caused
              some confusion.

              Let me clarify by saying that Notepad.exe is a stand alone file and can be
              ran regardless of where you archive it.

              Just put a shortcut on your desktop and run it whenever you want.
              (Archive it to the desktop if you like.)

              Drag files such as system.adm onto the Shortcut Icon and wallah!

              Or if you prefer, you can add it to your Send To menu, or your Quick Launch
              bar.

              The procedure is just for those who want to use NoteTab as the default
              instead of Notepad.

              It is not meant to eliminate Notepad from your computer, unless you want to.

              Hope this helps.

              Jim
            • Rush Family
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                Well, that's the thing -- it *is* a plain text file, and in Windows 2000
                notepad it looks just fine. NoteTab cannot deal with it because it is
                Unicode encoded. (See the attached graphics.) So it is, for me, a sad fact
                that I cannot entirely dispose of notepad.

                That's not a plain text file. I wouldn't recommend using notepad either.

                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                  Well I stand corrected. I had no idea Unicode was ever stored
                  in files. I guess storing these strings outside the executable rather
                  than compiling them does make good sense. Thanks. Now I can
                  say that I actually learned something today.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                      They don't allow attachments in this mailing list.

                      But lets be fair to Notetab - Unicode IS NOT plain ASCII text and I'd
                      bet it would be had to find many text editors that support Unicode.