More than just this list (was Re: [NTB] Digest Number 364)

  • Val Schmitt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      Another suggestion from a new Group member, but a longtime
      OneList/eGroups/YahooGroups group owner, moderator and list member. (Wow,
      that's taking me back a while - it was called OneList originally, wasn't
      it? :) )

      I went back and reread the welcome message - it does specifically say to
      send Clip related mail to the Clips group, but it doesn't say the other
      groups exist until the bottom of the message! As both a new NoteTab user
      and a new Group member, I didn't really even know there were Clips or the
      other power functionality, much less the other lists! (To be honest, when
      the message came through saying "whoops, sorry I sent this to the wrong
      list" I was totally confused! ;) ... My bad for not reading the end of the
      welcome message carefully!) It would be helpful to have the welcome message
      describe the fact that there are many NoteTab related lists, and what each
      one is for. Then telling people not to post Clip messages to the general
      list would make sense.

      Not a complaint, so much as a suggestion - I'd hate for other new group
      members to make the mistake of sending a Clip issue to the general group,
      and then get in trouble for something that they didn't know about.

      Smiles,
      Val

      At 06:09 AM 5/5/2001 -0700, you wrote:
      >Jody,
      >
      >I receive the digest version of this list so pardon the delay. I have 2
      >suggestions.1 that will encourage people to follow your advice, the second
      >is a trivial update.
      >
      >#1. It would be helpful if you would include the links to subscribe to the
      >OT list when you make posts like this. It would make it easier to for
      >folks to sign up if you provided the links. I know they can be found in
      >the original welcome letter, but who keeps those? ;-)
      >
      >#2. As a fellow list owner, you are aware of the change from eGroups to
      >YahooGroups. You might consider updating your signature lines to reflect
      >the change. Instead of:
      >
      ><http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab>http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      >
      >Consider:

      >or
      ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/notetab>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/notetab
      >(which translates to the first URL)
      >
      >Just a thought,
      >
      >Ken Brayton
      >Albany, Oregon

      Val Schmitt, vschmitt@... * QA Manager www.zapdata.com
      people.ne.mediaone.net/vschmitt * Webmaster www.broomstones.com
      Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely. -- Karen K Clark

      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2001
        Hi Val, Ken, Steve, Floyd, and Others,

        Thank you all for your input.

        Actually, it was makelist, and one other before that (when we
        first started), then eGroups, and eGroups merged with onelist
        having the controlling interest. Lastly, yahoogroups came on and
        egroups said nothing would change, but it appears yahoo either
        bought them out or definitely has the controlling interested. A
        lot of changes were made and in my opinion and many other long
        time list members they were made for the worse. They own the
        lists and are for free and they do function fairly well, so...

        >Another suggestion from a new Group member, but a longtime
        >OneList/eGroups/YahooGroups group owner, moderator and list
        >member. (Wow, that's taking me back a while - it was called
        >OneList originally, wasn't it? :) )
        >
        >I went back and reread the welcome message - it does specifically
        >say to send Clip related mail to the Clips group, but it doesn't
        >say the other groups exist until the bottom of the message! As
        >both a new NoteTab user and a new Group member, I didn't really
        >even know there were Clips or the other power functionality, much
        >less the other lists!

        You are correct, I do need to redo the welcome letters which very
        few read any anyway. I and others do post often enough though
        about the different lists so most people know about them. See
        below. :)

        Hi Ken,

        >I receive the digest version of this list so pardon the delay. I
        >have 2 suggestions.1 that will encourage people to follow your
        >advice, the second is a trivial update.

        Thanks. After posting I felt maybe I was a bit harsh, long, and
        should have save it for the next day to send... Those of you who
        have been on the lists for awhile know I have my days...

        >#1. It would be helpful if you would include the links to
        >subscribe to the OT list when you make posts like this.

        >>The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        >>mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >>http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

        Actually, I only left the one undone. Will fix in time. Thanks

        To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
        Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
        using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

        To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
        Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
        using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

        Subscribe
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Clips List................. ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab ClipsClass List............ ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab HTML List.................. ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Next Release List.......... ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Off-Topic List............. ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Announcements List......... ntb-Announcements-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Album Express List................. Album-Express-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Mailbag Assistant List............. MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Fookes Software Next Release List.. FS-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        UnSubscribe
        The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Happy Tab'n, Clip'n, Edit'n, Test'n, &...
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23