Re: [NTB] Digest Number 364

  • Ken Brayton
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 6:09 AM
      Jody,

      I receive the digest version of this list so pardon the delay. I have 2 suggestions.1 that will encourage people to follow your advice, the second is a trivial update.

      #1. It would be helpful if you would include the links to subscribe to the OT list when you make posts like this. It would make it easier to for folks to sign up if you provided the links. I know they can be found in the original welcome letter, but who keeps those? ;-)

      #2. As a fellow list owner, you are aware of the change from eGroups to YahooGroups. You might consider updating your signature lines to reflect the change. Instead of:

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

      Consider:

      or
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/notetab (which translates to the first URL)

      Just a thought,

      Ken Brayton
      Albany, Oregon

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 12:30:03 -0500
      > From: Jody <av1611@...>
      >Subject: List "Rules" (was Printing with NoteTab)
      >
      >Do remember, I do not mind a few lines to point somebody in the
      >right direction to solve their need with a link to other
      >software, but please stop it there; don't discuss other products.
      >If you have the need to discuss other software, then by all
      >means, please sign up for the NoteTab Off-Topic (OT) list.
      >Happy NoteTab'n,
      >Jody Adair
      >
      >The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
      >http://www.notetab.net
      >
      >The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
      >mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

      Ken Brayton
      Albany, Oregon
    • Val Schmitt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5 7:17 AM
        Hi Jody,

        Another suggestion from a new Group member, but a longtime
        OneList/eGroups/YahooGroups group owner, moderator and list member. (Wow,
        that's taking me back a while - it was called OneList originally, wasn't
        it? :) )

        I went back and reread the welcome message - it does specifically say to
        send Clip related mail to the Clips group, but it doesn't say the other
        groups exist until the bottom of the message! As both a new NoteTab user
        and a new Group member, I didn't really even know there were Clips or the
        other power functionality, much less the other lists! (To be honest, when
        the message came through saying "whoops, sorry I sent this to the wrong
        list" I was totally confused! ;) ... My bad for not reading the end of the
        welcome message carefully!) It would be helpful to have the welcome message
        describe the fact that there are many NoteTab related lists, and what each
        one is for. Then telling people not to post Clip messages to the general
        list would make sense.

        Not a complaint, so much as a suggestion - I'd hate for other new group
        members to make the mistake of sending a Clip issue to the general group,
        and then get in trouble for something that they didn't know about.

        Smiles,
        Val

        At 06:09 AM 5/5/2001 -0700, you wrote:
        >Jody,
        >
        >I receive the digest version of this list so pardon the delay. I have 2
        >suggestions.1 that will encourage people to follow your advice, the second
        >is a trivial update.
        >
        >#1. It would be helpful if you would include the links to subscribe to the
        >OT list when you make posts like this. It would make it easier to for
        >folks to sign up if you provided the links. I know they can be found in
        >the original welcome letter, but who keeps those? ;-)
        >
        >#2. As a fellow list owner, you are aware of the change from eGroups to
        >YahooGroups. You might consider updating your signature lines to reflect
        >the change. Instead of:
        >
        ><http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab>http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        >
        >Consider:

        >or
        ><http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/notetab>http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/notetab
        >(which translates to the first URL)
        >
        >Just a thought,
        >
        >Ken Brayton
        >Albany, Oregon

        Val Schmitt, vschmitt@... * QA Manager www.zapdata.com
        people.ne.mediaone.net/vschmitt * Webmaster www.broomstones.com
        Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely. -- Karen K Clark

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 8:50 AM
          Hi Val, Ken, Steve, Floyd, and Others,

          Thank you all for your input.

          Actually, it was makelist, and one other before that (when we
          first started), then eGroups, and eGroups merged with onelist
          having the controlling interest. Lastly, yahoogroups came on and
          egroups said nothing would change, but it appears yahoo either
          bought them out or definitely has the controlling interested. A
          lot of changes were made and in my opinion and many other long
          time list members they were made for the worse. They own the
          lists and are for free and they do function fairly well, so...

          >Another suggestion from a new Group member, but a longtime
          >OneList/eGroups/YahooGroups group owner, moderator and list
          >member. (Wow, that's taking me back a while - it was called
          >OneList originally, wasn't it? :) )
          >
          >I went back and reread the welcome message - it does specifically
          >say to send Clip related mail to the Clips group, but it doesn't
          >say the other groups exist until the bottom of the message! As
          >both a new NoteTab user and a new Group member, I didn't really
          >even know there were Clips or the other power functionality, much
          >less the other lists!

          You are correct, I do need to redo the welcome letters which very
          few read any anyway. I and others do post often enough though
          about the different lists so most people know about them. See
          below. :)

          Hi Ken,

          >I receive the digest version of this list so pardon the delay. I
          >have 2 suggestions.1 that will encourage people to follow your
          >advice, the second is a trivial update.

          Thanks. After posting I felt maybe I was a bit harsh, long, and
          should have save it for the next day to send... Those of you who
          have been on the lists for awhile know I have my days...

          >#1. It would be helpful if you would include the links to
          >subscribe to the OT list when you make posts like this.

          >>The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          >>mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >>http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

          Actually, I only left the one undone. Will fix in time. Thanks

          To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
          Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
          using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

          To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
          Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
          using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

          Subscribe
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
          The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab Clips List................. ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab ClipsClass List............ ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab HTML List.................. ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab Next Release List.......... ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab Off-Topic List............. ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The NoteTab Announcements List......... ntb-Announcements-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The Album Express List................. Album-Express-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The Mailbag Assistant List............. MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          The Fookes Software Next Release List.. FS-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          UnSubscribe
          The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Happy Tab'n, Clip'n, Edit'n, Test'n, &...
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23