SAMBA problem with .bak files

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2001

      Hi all!

      My last duty is a CGI course.
      I'm happily working on my SAMBA net, using NoteTab on a Windows box to edit
      CGIs and a Linux box to serve them: what else you need?, you ask ...
      A Linux version of NoteTab, it's my answer ;-)))

      Jokes apart, the problem arise when I save Perl files on the Linux disk
      (shared as Z:\ under Windows).
      Even if I'm connected as root (very Bad Thing) files loose their permissions,
      and it's a real annoyance to switch to telnet to "chmod 775 *.pl" every
      time I save (and I save very often...)

      I discover the only way to maintain read-write-execute settings is to avoid
      .bak files, but they are too useful, especially incremental ones.

      Is there a way to avoid this?
      A nice method will be to *copy* the old file to the .bak extension instead
      of rename it, but I'n not skilled enough to deal with Clips...

      BTW, a very nice FREE telnet program is Token 2 -
      http://www.ee.inha.ac.kr/~choung - compared with standard Windows telnet
      there is almost the same difference between Notetab and NotePad!

      And I bet Jody loves my next CGI lesson: a bulletin board able to filter
      Italian bad words, and our dictionary is *very* rich. A program able to
      understand all shades of language will be an ADI (Artificial Dirty
      Intelligence)...

      Bye!

      Marco Bernardini