Re: [NTB] Re: IE crashing under Windows Me - solution?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2001
      Hi Ray,

      >That message in the DW ng was from me. I replaced the CAS3 SDRAM on
      >an Athlon system with CAS2 last week and the hangs I was getting
      >almost every time I previewed when using either DW or Notetab stopped
      >happening for whatever reason... until last night when exactly the
      >same thing happened again - though just once. So the message is that
      >changing the memory *seems* to have helped in my case but can't be
      >the whole story.

      Thanks for posting! I have found a few things to help from
      users, but not one single thing you can put a finger on - except
      WinME. One is to install the service pack for IE5. Another is to
      play around with the configuration of NoteTab the path to IE5
      under Internet. Try using IE5 in View in Browser. Both those we
      had high hopes in a solution, but some days later the lock up
      showed up. Yet another is some machines using a video adapter
      with NVidia TNT technology. Turn down the hardware acceleration
      or getting a different video card seems to help there. Like you
      found out though it was not a fix for any of the things that did
      indeed help out on those machines.

      >Macromedia are currently suggesting that the problem has been
      >traced to mismatched system components installed by third-party
      >software but has anyone reported solving the problem by a clean
      >re-install of ME?

      I have not heard of a fresh install fixing the problem. We know
      of what, 6-7, very popular programs it happening to. That sure
      is a lot of mismatching and it happening to a large number of
      users?!? I do not have WinME installed so I cannot test like
      what you suggested. It definitely appears to be a resource
      problem with WinME to me though. There could certainly be a
      deeper problem though that is eating up memory.

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab