Re: Notetab (and other apps) crashing Me

  • Janos Gereben~
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2001
      I tried Me reinstallation, and it helped with some small quirk, but the
      slowdowns/crashes even with 128Mb continue. Had an interesting experience
      trying to fix it, and I don't know if the problem is resolved - I doubt it -
      but this could be of help to those among us who are not true super-geeks.
      See below.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Janos Gereben/SF, CA
      janos451@...

      After hours and hours spent on the phone with HP
      and Microsoft, I was ready to try anything.

      Tonight, I tried www.expertcity.com. It's an organization contracting
      MS-trained computer geeks all over the world. I described the problem, and
      up popped a dozen offers to help fix it, most of them at a basic rate of
      $10. I chose Jitander (because he was the first and he had 1700 fixes under
      his belt), and had to wait about 5 minutes until he finished with the
      customer before me.

      We had an on-line chat, and then he asked for permission to download a
      controling app, and then took over the mouse. We alternated between his
      running various checks and talking about it. I suspected an IRQ conflict,
      and Jitander checked and confirmed that there is no conflict - very
      important to me.

      Finally, he told me to run the resource meter and keep and eye on it,
      catching the app that brings resources down. He also changed virtual memory
      from Windows control to manual. I checked a few more things (I couldn't even
      reach anyone at MS and HP to ask), and then we ended the session, which
      lasted 43 minutes. I was charged $10.

      Bonus: I asked him where he is located (I figured it's India), and he said
      Mumbai. Asked where that was and Jitander said it's the city formerly known
      as Bombay. I never heard of a name change for Bombay. BTW, most of those
      volunteering to help had Indian names. India: the country where $10 is
      regarded as money. Am I taking food out of the mouths of genuine Americans?
      I wouldn't if I could find them when I have a problem. Besides, isn't Bush
      II an American? I rest my case.