Re: [NTB] NewbieQ: AR Activating keys

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
      Hejsan Östen!

      Välkommen ;-)

      >Is there a way to de-activate one or some of the auto-replace
      >activation keys?
      >
      >How do you go about to easily insert for example a space where a
      >AR-clip is instead activated?
      >
      >Why are there so many activation key, wouldn't it be sufficient
      >with just one (configurable)?
      >
      >My apologies if there is some obvious answer to this which I fail
      >to see, or if I just don't understand how to use this feature.
      >:-)

      Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and thought I
      would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the autoreplace libraries
      much, but I guess the choice of activation keys has been made to make
      replacements during fluent typing possible (did that make any sense??).
      Agreed it would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
      temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

      Hej då
      Lotta
    • Östen Häggmark
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2001
        Hej Lotta,

        L> Hejsan Östen!

        L> Välkommen ;-)

        Tack ska du ha! ;)

        L> Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and
        L> thought I would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the
        L> autoreplace libraries much, but I guess the choice of
        L> activation keys has been made to make replacements during
        L> fluent typing possible (did that make any sense??). Agreed it
        L> would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
        L> temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

        Thank you for "activating" the thread! :-)

        The activating keys makes sense in normal writing but for the
        purpose of inserting HTML tags I would like to disable most of
        the activating keys except one or two.

        But maybe this isn't a much used feature, and therefore not so
        configurable.

        --
        Östen
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2001
          Hi Lotta and Östen,

          Sorry for the very late reply to this. I am going backwards in
          all my mail list and private now to try to catch up.

          >> Is there a way to de-activate one or some of the auto-replace
          >> activation keys?

          Yes and no. You cannot prevent one from being triggered, but you
          can add some commands to the Clips that will make the Clip exit
          before making the replacement. In short, the auto-replace Clip
          would abort before it was fully used. See my comments below
          first, but you need to get on the Clips list for that. (See my
          sigline for the Clips list -thanks!)

          >> How do you go about to easily insert for example a space where
          >> a AR-clip is instead activated?

          A Clip could be built to do that.

          >> Why are there so many activation key, wouldn't it be sufficient
          >> with just one (configurable)?

          See Eric's comment below, but I think you really do want more
          than one. See Lotta's reply and mine below also.

          >> My apologies if there is some obvious answer to this which I
          >> fail to see, or if I just don't understand how to use this
          >> feature. :-)

          If you are not in a Library that automatically turns the feature
          on when the Library is activated, then right click over the
          Clipbook and choose "Auto-Replace". Type in some text that is
          one of the Clips and then type in an activation key.

          >Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and
          >thought I would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the
          >autoreplace libraries much, but I guess the choice of activation
          >keys has been made to make replacements during fluent typing
          >possible (did that make any sense??).

          That makes sense and if you look at what is used a number of them
          are frequently used keys after text or known delimiters. There
          was a time that we did not have the power to prevent the
          activation key from being inserted into the text, but we do now
          with the following code: ^&

          Use the "^&" symbol. From Help under "Auto-replace Mode"

          Note that if the Clip contains the cursor-positioning code ^&,
          the activating key is automatically discarded.

          >Agreed it would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
          >temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

          No, we cannot disable or choose what activation keys we want to
          use via an Option or feature. Eric wrote at one time off the
          lists, "I'm planning to make it possible to customize the
          activation key in NoteTab 5.0..."

          Happy Clip'n!

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips