Setting one tab stop at column 19

  • Daniel Prince
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2001
      I want to type in one or more words and then hit tab and have the
      cursor move to column 19. Can I do it with Note Tab Standard? If I
      can, how do I do it? Thank you in advance for all replies.
      --
      I keep making my vegetable garden bigger and bigger but it still is never
      big enough to grow all the vegetables I want to grow. I started in 1999
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hi Daniel,

        >I want to type in one or more words and then hit tab and have the
        >cursor move to column 19. Can I do it with Note Tab Standard?

        Yes, you can have multiple widths of the tab and have the first
        tab stop at column 19. In Std/Light you can have each tab a
        certain width like so: 19;20 (or just put a single 19 in it by
        itself). You do it in the Options | Documents | Tab size and
        have the Tab units set to Characters.

        Help says:

        Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in
        NoteTab Std by separating each value with a semi-colon (;).
        Values must be ordered in increasing sizes and represent the
        distance from the left margin.

        Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units
        used for tab size.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Kenneth Leake
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
          Hi folks, first post to the list, but I've been using NoteTab (Pro), and subscribing to this list, for about 18 months now.

          I've seen this tab issue come up several times in the past and understand that there are differences in the way tabs work in Pro & Std. What I've never quite grasped, is WHY there is a difference.

          Being able to specify variable tab size would certainly be useful to me, and it seems a puzzling omission from the Pro version.

          I presume there is a good reason for this, but does anybody know what? I suppose a more important question is will this facility be in the upcoming Pro version 5?

          Thanks

          Ken Leake

          >>> av1611@... 05/04/01 01:53:23 >>>
          Hi Daniel,

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
            Hi Kenneth,

            >Hi folks, first post to the list, but I've been using NoteTab
            >(Pro), and subscribing to this list, for about 18 months now.

            Better late than never - haha!

            >I've seen this tab issue come up several times in the past and
            >understand that there are differences in the way tabs work in Pro
            >& Std. What I've never quite grasped, is WHY there is a
            >difference....I presume there is a good reason for this, but does
            >anybody know what?

            It is because of the input controls used. Pro and Std/Light use
            a different input control. Std/Light use riched32.dll and Pro
            uses some turbocharged thing. ;) Anyway, Pro looses some of the
            features that people wonder why they "were taken out of Pro" when
            they were never added. In some cases Eric programmed in some of
            the features that Std had, but pro did not. I believe the
            drag/drop of text was one of them and also the file size limit.
            He did not due the others *I guess*, because he did not think the
            time and bloat would be worth the exchange. Pro has the speed it
            does because of its input control and say if he added variable
            width fonts, he would have to spend the time programming it and
            it would probably slow down Pro so much he'd be just as well
            switching to riched32.dll.

            >I suppose a more important question is will this facility be in
            >the upcoming Pro version 5?

            NoteTab Pro and Std/Light will all use the same input control so
            we will not have anymore issues like multiple tab settings,
            variable width fonts vs. fixed, paragraph size... We will loose
            a little speed in Pro, but gain it in Std/Light. All in all
            though from what I have seen of it, we will gain a lot of really
            nice features!

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Stephen
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2001
              Hi Kenneth,
              Glad to have you aboard.
              From what I understand, it was a trade-off.
              NoteTabPro has a more sophisticated way of handling file information
              than NoteTabLight. I think this is probably the most profound difference
              between the two. Although this makes it faster, you can configure its
              behaviour better (Help says wrap to column, scroll past end of line,
              real/fixed/smart tabs, multiple-level undo/redo, bookmarks. . .), there
              are some things which it does not do at all, like supporting
              variable-width fonts (except in the GUI), and tab support is different.
              Bunches of us have NoteTabPro as our main editor, and NoteTabLight in a
              different folder. That way we get it all.
              I cannot answer for what Eric Fookes will decide to do next, but doubt
              if he'll add all the Light's features into Pro because the result would
              probably be so unweildy we (you and I) would not like the editor any
              more.
              Have fun,
              Stephen