Re: [NTB] IE crashing under Windows Me - solution?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 5:39 AM
      Hi Eric,

      >Maybe this is something that can help those of you who are having
      >this problem. But don't ask me what CAS2/3 is <g>.

      Now you can know. <bg> (The following is techie stuff, so don't
      waste your time if you are not interested.)

      The signals talked about below are pulses/strobes 0VDC, 3VDC, or
      5VDC (neg/pos) depending on the logic used and how the chips were
      designed. It could be looking for a high (1) or a low (0) as an
      input to the gate to know that the memory address arrived A-OK. :)

      In the old days a tech would get an O'Scope tracing the circuit
      (bit bang'n) to troubleshoot down to the component level. Today,
      we thrash the VCR and go get another $99.99-$150.00 one from
      WalMart (a low price super store in America) to last another 2-3
      years, right when the warranty runs out of course.

      http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=CAS&action=Search
      Column Address Strobe
      <hardware> (CAS) A signal sent from a processor (or memory
      controller) to a dynamic random access memory (DRAM) (qv) circuit
      to indicate that the column address lines are valid.

      http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/98q4/981024/ram-01.html
      Basic DRAM operation
      A DRAM memory array can be thought of as a table of cells. These
      cells are comprised of capacitors, and contain one or more �bits�
      of data, depending upon the chip configuration. This table is
      addressed via row and column decoders, which in turn receive
      their signals from the RAS and CAS clock generators...

      If I remember correctly the CAS3 is suppose to be better, it
      costs a little bit more anyway.

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • sometime@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4 11:36 AM
        --- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
        > Hi Windows Me users,
        >
        > I just read the following comment on UseNet concerning the IE crash
        problem
        > under WinME, when launched from NoteTab:

        Hi All,

        That message in the DW ng was from me. I replaced the CAS3 SDRAM on
        an Athlon system with CAS2 last week and the hangs I was getting
        almost every time I previewed when using either DW or Notetab stopped
        happening for whatever reason... until last night when exactly the
        same thing happened again - though just once. So the message is that
        changing the memory *seems* to have helped in my case but can't be
        the whole story.

        BTW CAS2/3 (sometimes expressed as CL2 or CL3) relates to the timing
        of the memory. CAS2 is about 5% more expensive than CAS3 and is
        marginally faster due to the reduced latency. AMD recommend it to be
        used with the Athlon processor for reasons of stability but some
        manufacturers, including mine, still fit CAS3 due to the small cost
        saving. I understand the problem is being reported with both AMD and
        Intel processors.

        Macromedia are currently suggesting that the problem has been traced
        to mismatched system components installed by third-party software but
        has anyone reported solving the problem by a clean re-install of ME?

        Regards,

        Ray Barnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14 2:29 PM
          Hi Ray,

          >That message in the DW ng was from me. I replaced the CAS3 SDRAM on
          >an Athlon system with CAS2 last week and the hangs I was getting
          >almost every time I previewed when using either DW or Notetab stopped
          >happening for whatever reason... until last night when exactly the
          >same thing happened again - though just once. So the message is that
          >changing the memory *seems* to have helped in my case but can't be
          >the whole story.

          Thanks for posting! I have found a few things to help from
          users, but not one single thing you can put a finger on - except
          WinME. One is to install the service pack for IE5. Another is to
          play around with the configuration of NoteTab the path to IE5
          under Internet. Try using IE5 in View in Browser. Both those we
          had high hopes in a solution, but some days later the lock up
          showed up. Yet another is some machines using a video adapter
          with NVidia TNT technology. Turn down the hardware acceleration
          or getting a different video card seems to help there. Like you
          found out though it was not a fix for any of the things that did
          indeed help out on those machines.

          >Macromedia are currently suggesting that the problem has been
          >traced to mismatched system components installed by third-party
          >software but has anyone reported solving the problem by a clean
          >re-install of ME?

          I have not heard of a fresh install fixing the problem. We know
          of what, 6-7, very popular programs it happening to. That sure
          is a lot of mismatching and it happening to a large number of
          users?!? I do not have WinME installed so I cannot test like
          what you suggested. It definitely appears to be a resource
          problem with WinME to me though. There could certainly be a
          deeper problem though that is eating up memory.

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab