IE crashing under Windows Me - solution?

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hi Windows Me users,

      I just read the following comment on UseNet concerning the IE crash problem
      under WinME, when launched from NoteTab:

      "Since removing the CAS3 memory and replacing it with CAS2 the freeze
      problem seems to have vanished. I've now now been using DW, Notetab, IE5.5,
      NS4.7 and Opera 5 for several hours without a hitch. Previously the problem
      hit within minutes. Hope this might be of some help to others with the same
      hassle."

      Maybe this is something that can help those of you who are having this
      problem. But don't ask me what CAS2/3 is <g>.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
        Hi Eric,

        >Maybe this is something that can help those of you who are having
        >this problem. But don't ask me what CAS2/3 is <g>.

        Now you can know. <bg> (The following is techie stuff, so don't
        waste your time if you are not interested.)

        The signals talked about below are pulses/strobes 0VDC, 3VDC, or
        5VDC (neg/pos) depending on the logic used and how the chips were
        designed. It could be looking for a high (1) or a low (0) as an
        input to the gate to know that the memory address arrived A-OK. :)

        In the old days a tech would get an O'Scope tracing the circuit
        (bit bang'n) to troubleshoot down to the component level. Today,
        we thrash the VCR and go get another $99.99-$150.00 one from
        WalMart (a low price super store in America) to last another 2-3
        years, right when the warranty runs out of course.

        http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=CAS&action=Search
        Column Address Strobe
        <hardware> (CAS) A signal sent from a processor (or memory
        controller) to a dynamic random access memory (DRAM) (qv) circuit
        to indicate that the column address lines are valid.

        http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/98q4/981024/ram-01.html
        Basic DRAM operation
        A DRAM memory array can be thought of as a table of cells. These
        cells are comprised of capacitors, and contain one or more �bits�
        of data, depending upon the chip configuration. This table is
        addressed via row and column decoders, which in turn receive
        their signals from the RAS and CAS clock generators...

        If I remember correctly the CAS3 is suppose to be better, it
        costs a little bit more anyway.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • sometime@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2001
          --- In notetab@y..., "Eric G.V. Fookes" <egroups@f...> wrote:
          > Hi Windows Me users,
          >
          > I just read the following comment on UseNet concerning the IE crash
          problem
          > under WinME, when launched from NoteTab:

          Hi All,

          That message in the DW ng was from me. I replaced the CAS3 SDRAM on
          an Athlon system with CAS2 last week and the hangs I was getting
          almost every time I previewed when using either DW or Notetab stopped
          happening for whatever reason... until last night when exactly the
          same thing happened again - though just once. So the message is that
          changing the memory *seems* to have helped in my case but can't be
          the whole story.

          BTW CAS2/3 (sometimes expressed as CL2 or CL3) relates to the timing
          of the memory. CAS2 is about 5% more expensive than CAS3 and is
          marginally faster due to the reduced latency. AMD recommend it to be
          used with the Athlon processor for reasons of stability but some
          manufacturers, including mine, still fit CAS3 due to the small cost
          saving. I understand the problem is being reported with both AMD and
          Intel processors.

          Macromedia are currently suggesting that the problem has been traced
          to mismatched system components installed by third-party software but
          has anyone reported solving the problem by a clean re-install of ME?

          Regards,

          Ray Barnes
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2001
            Hi Ray,

            >That message in the DW ng was from me. I replaced the CAS3 SDRAM on
            >an Athlon system with CAS2 last week and the hangs I was getting
            >almost every time I previewed when using either DW or Notetab stopped
            >happening for whatever reason... until last night when exactly the
            >same thing happened again - though just once. So the message is that
            >changing the memory *seems* to have helped in my case but can't be
            >the whole story.

            Thanks for posting! I have found a few things to help from
            users, but not one single thing you can put a finger on - except
            WinME. One is to install the service pack for IE5. Another is to
            play around with the configuration of NoteTab the path to IE5
            under Internet. Try using IE5 in View in Browser. Both those we
            had high hopes in a solution, but some days later the lock up
            showed up. Yet another is some machines using a video adapter
            with NVidia TNT technology. Turn down the hardware acceleration
            or getting a different video card seems to help there. Like you
            found out though it was not a fix for any of the things that did
            indeed help out on those machines.

            >Macromedia are currently suggesting that the problem has been
            >traced to mismatched system components installed by third-party
            >software but has anyone reported solving the problem by a clean
            >re-install of ME?

            I have not heard of a fresh install fixing the problem. We know
            of what, 6-7, very popular programs it happening to. That sure
            is a lot of mismatching and it happening to a large number of
            users?!? I do not have WinME installed so I cannot test like
            what you suggested. It definitely appears to be a resource
            problem with WinME to me though. There could certainly be a
            deeper problem though that is eating up memory.

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab