Re: Hyperlink to String in another Outline

  • MH7
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
      another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the other
      Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:

      [important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading "meetings",
      and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is there a way
      around this?

      Do you mean double colon rather than semi-colon?

      Regards,
      Mark Halsall

      > Open ReadMe.otl There are a number of examples in it.
      >
      > You can add text after the semi-colon so i will be colored also.
      >

      > >Is there a way to link from one Outline to a particular place
      "within" another Outline Topic? Linking to the other Outline Topic
      itself is not my difficulty.
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
        Hi Mark,

        >Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
        >another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the
        >other Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:
        >
        >[important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading
        >"meetings", and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is
        >there a way around this?

        No, that is the way it is. Perhaps if Eric does another
        maintenance update to 4.85. I can tell that you know why we
        cannot do it now, that it Outline to Outline to word from what
        you wrote. I would think [important.otl:: meetings ] could look
        for the string, or probably better:

        File Heading Search Criteria Options
        [important.otl::Meetings::Thursday afternoon::^I]

        Would find the "Meetings" heading and then search for "Thursday
        afternoon" case sensitive.

        I suppose you figured out that the following will open ReadMe.txt
        (if in NoteTab's main folder) and search for "Hope you enjoy
        using NoteTab!"

        [readme.txt::Hope you enjoy using NoteTab!]

        >Do you mean double colon rather than semi-colon?

        >> You can add text after the semi-colon so it will be colored
        >> also.

        I was thinking of Clipbook Libraries when I mentioned that.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • Manuel
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
          I read in Use Web and Document Links on help of notetab:

          * The following hyperlink [readme.txt::outline] will display the
          "readme.txt" file. As it is not an Outline file, NoteTab assumes the
          second criteria "outline" is text criteria to search and will select
          the first occurrence of the word "outline". Note that you will have to
          specify the full path name if the file is not in the same directory as
          the document containing the hyperlink.

          I think you can not use a link to a word in outline document. If the
          document it's a outline the second word it's the name of the item and
          not the word that you whish looking for.

          Manuel
          ---
          http://manuel123.8m.com
        • MH7
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
            > >Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
            > >another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the
            > >other Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:
            > >
            > >[important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading
            > >"meetings", and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is
            > >there a way around this?

            > No, that is the way it is. Perhaps if Eric does another
            > maintenance update to 4.85. I can tell that you know why we
            > cannot do it now, that it Outline to Outline to word from what
            > you wrote. I would think [important.otl:: meetings ] could look
            > for the string, or probably better:
            >
            > File Heading Search Criteria Options
            > [important.otl::Meetings::Thursday afternoon::^I]
            >
            > Would find the "Meetings" heading and then search for "Thursday
            > afternoon" case sensitive.

            Hi Jody,

            I think your "example" more logical than what I was trying to ask for
            in the first place, and would be a big improvement. I have a few
            Outline files, and each headed topic is split into many sections. It
            would be great if I could specify a hyperlink path like this.

            I note the Heading must be the full heading (case insensitive) and so
            I guess the tokens are irrelevent for Outlines as they currently work.

            Mark Halsall
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
              Hi Mark,

              I believe we might see something like below in v5. I doubt Eric
              messes with it in v4 since he will be switching to a hierarchical
              (treeview) in v5 which I suppose will require a total rewrite.

            • featch@freeuk.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
                Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Hi Featch,

                  >Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?

                  If you get my NoteBlock it has a Clip in it that will
                  sort specified columns, plus a lot more when working
                  with delimited files. I think you can get it from:
                  http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                  http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                • laloukitty@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 3, 2001
                    Please let me know how to UNSUBSCRIBE from the "notetabs" email group. Thank
                    you. MLB
                  • featch@freeuk.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5, 2001
                      On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 06:55:33 -0500, Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                      >Hi Featch,
                      >
                      >>Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                      >
                      >If you get my NoteBlock it has a Clip in it that will
                      >sort specified columns, plus a lot more when working
                      >with delimited files. I think you can get it from:
                      >http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                      Hi Jody,

                      I'm afraid I have been unable to figure out which clip in Noteblock will
                      allow me to do this. :-\

                      Martin.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 14, 2001
                        Hi Martin,

                        >>>Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                        >>
                        >>http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                        >I'm afraid I have been unable to figure out which clip in Noteblock will
                        >allow me to do this. :-\

                        I'm sorry for the very late reply; been sick, very busy, etc.

                        It is "Sort by Field..." I use a function that gets the same
                        field in each line. If I am right in my thinking, that you are
                        trying to sort a delimited file by using a column number, then
                        the above Clip should work for you.

                        Happy Clip'n!

                        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                        http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips