Backing up NoteTab

  • hsegal@supertips.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2001
      I would like to include in my regular
      PC backup the parts of NoteTab which
      can change (such as favourites, clip books).

      Can you suggest how best to do this
      e.g how to identify/locate such files

      Thanks
      Harvey Segal
      hsegal@...
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 31, 2001
        Harvey,
        At 02:31 PM 3/30/01, you wrote:

        >I would like to include in my regular
        >PC backup the parts of NoteTab which
        >can change (such as favourites, clip books).
        >
        >Can you suggest how best to do this
        >e.g how to identify/locate such files
        >
        >Thanks
        >Harvey Segal
        >hsegal@...

        If you can give us a bit more info, we can give you a better answer.

        What media are you using for your backup storage? (Floppies, Tape, CD's etc.)

        What application are you using to do the backup?

        Are you doing FULL or MODIFIED backups (or both)?

        FWIW

        Most applications will let you browse and select what you want to backup
        unless you are doing a FULL backup.

        If media space is not of concern then you want to backup the entire
        C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro directory.
        (Or whatever is appropriate for your system)

        If time/media space is of concern then as a minimum you want the following
        type files.

        .INI
        .CFG
        .FPR
        .CLH
        .CLB
        .UDT
        .FVR
        .CLB
        .CTB
        .TPL
      • hsegal@supertips.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2001
          Jim,

          I'm using a Zip disk so speed is not a problem
          but space is getting restricted.

          I'm using a backup where I select the file I want
          so the simplest method may be to backup the whole
          NoteTab directory and exclude the Exe file.

          Thanks for your help,
          Harvey Segal

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2001
            Hi Harvey,

            >I would like to include in my regular PC backup the parts of
            >NoteTab which can change (such as favourites, clip books).
            >
            >Can you suggest how best to do this e.g how to identify/locate
            >such files

            As mentioned by Jim I think, you can put NoteTab on floppy discs.
            It takes at least two of them though. One way is use a
            compression utility like WinZip and use the span disk feature.
            Secondly, you can get a utility that will split files. (You
            would zip it up first.) Lastly drag and drop oodles of files on
            to your floppy drive.

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2001
              Hello Harvey and Amitava,

              >>I would like to include in my regular
              >>PC backup the parts of NoteTab which
              >>can change (such as favourites, clip books).
              >>
              >>Can you suggest how best to do this
              >>e.g how to identify/locate such files
              >
              >The favourites have an .fvr extension
              >and the clipbooks have an .clb extension. Just backup those files.

              Don't forget the notepro.ini (or corresponding Standard) and notepro.fpr if
              you use individual document settings. Help has a list of the Clip libraries
              shipped with NTB (the "Clipbook Libraries" page), the rest would be your own.

              Lotta
            • Amitava Dasgupta
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
                Hi Lotta!

                >Don't forget the notepro.ini (or corresponding Standard) and notepro.fpr if
                >you use individual document settings. Help has a list of the Clip libraries
                >shipped with NTB (the "Clipbook Libraries" page), the rest would be
                >your own.

                Thanks for the note. I had forgotten about the (Notetab/Notepro).ini file. I
                have to confess Ididn't know about the .fpr file.
                Thanks again!

                Amitava

                Amitava Das Gupta
                !8, Hem Chandra Nasker Road,