Hyperlink to String in another Outline

  • MH7
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30, 2001
      Is there a way to link from one Outline to a particular place "within"
      another Outline Topic? Linking to the other Outline Topic itself is
      not my difficulty.

      BTW, thanks Jody for semicolon idea for separator. I thought of
      changing the Clip Assistant (I've never used it) into a sort of
      Favorites, but I'm still on a steep learning curve with NoteTab -
      learning one thing and discovering five new things I don't understand
      :)

      Mark
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2001
        Hi Mark,

        Open ReadMe.otl There are a number of examples in it.

        You can add text after the semi-colon so i will be colored also.

        >Is there a way to link from one Outline to a particular place "within"
        >another Outline Topic? Linking to the other Outline Topic itself is
        >not my difficulty.
        >
        >BTW, thanks Jody for semicolon idea for separator. I thought of
        >changing the Clip Assistant (I've never used it) into a sort of
        >Favorites, but I'm still on a steep learning curve with NoteTab -
        >learning one thing and discovering five new things I don't understand
        >:)

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • MH7
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
          Hi Jody,

          Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
          another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the other
          Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:

          [important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading "meetings",
          and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is there a way
          around this?

          Do you mean double colon rather than semi-colon?

          Regards,
          Mark Halsall

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
            Hi Mark,

            >Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
            >another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the
            >other Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:
            >
            >[important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading
            >"meetings", and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is
            >there a way around this?

            No, that is the way it is. Perhaps if Eric does another
            maintenance update to 4.85. I can tell that you know why we
            cannot do it now, that it Outline to Outline to word from what
            you wrote. I would think [important.otl:: meetings ] could look
            for the string, or probably better:

            File Heading Search Criteria Options
            [important.otl::Meetings::Thursday afternoon::^I]

            Would find the "Meetings" heading and then search for "Thursday
            afternoon" case sensitive.

            I suppose you figured out that the following will open ReadMe.txt
            (if in NoteTab's main folder) and search for "Hope you enjoy
            using NoteTab!"

            [readme.txt::Hope you enjoy using NoteTab!]

            >Do you mean double colon rather than semi-colon?

            >> You can add text after the semi-colon so it will be colored
            >> also.

            I was thinking of Clipbook Libraries when I mentioned that.

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Manuel
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2001
              I read in Use Web and Document Links on help of notetab:

              * The following hyperlink [readme.txt::outline] will display the
              "readme.txt" file. As it is not an Outline file, NoteTab assumes the
              second criteria "outline" is text criteria to search and will select
              the first occurrence of the word "outline". Note that you will have to
              specify the full path name if the file is not in the same directory as
              the document containing the hyperlink.

              I think you can not use a link to a word in outline document. If the
              document it's a outline the second word it's the name of the item and
              not the word that you whish looking for.

              Manuel
              ---
              http://manuel123.8m.com
            • MH7
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
                > >Still seems to me that one can only hyperlink from one Outline to
                > >another Outline Heading, and not to a string in the body of the
                > >other Outline (maybe I worded my question badly at first). eg:
                > >
                > >[important.otl::meetings] will only search for a Heading
                > >"meetings", and not the word "meetings" in the topic itself. Is
                > >there a way around this?

                > No, that is the way it is. Perhaps if Eric does another
                > maintenance update to 4.85. I can tell that you know why we
                > cannot do it now, that it Outline to Outline to word from what
                > you wrote. I would think [important.otl:: meetings ] could look
                > for the string, or probably better:
                >
                > File Heading Search Criteria Options
                > [important.otl::Meetings::Thursday afternoon::^I]
                >
                > Would find the "Meetings" heading and then search for "Thursday
                > afternoon" case sensitive.

                Hi Jody,

                I think your "example" more logical than what I was trying to ask for
                in the first place, and would be a big improvement. I have a few
                Outline files, and each headed topic is split into many sections. It
                would be great if I could specify a hyperlink path like this.

                I note the Heading must be the full heading (case insensitive) and so
                I guess the tokens are irrelevent for Outlines as they currently work.

                Mark Halsall
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
                  Hi Mark,

                  I believe we might see something like below in v5. I doubt Eric
                  messes with it in v4 since he will be switching to a hierarchical
                  (treeview) in v5 which I suppose will require a total rewrite.

                • featch@freeuk.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 3, 2001
                      Hi Featch,

                      >Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?

                      If you get my NoteBlock it has a Clip in it that will
                      sort specified columns, plus a lot more when working
                      with delimited files. I think you can get it from:
                      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
                    • laloukitty@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 3, 2001
                        Please let me know how to UNSUBSCRIBE from the "notetabs" email group. Thank
                        you. MLB
                      • featch@freeuk.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 5, 2001
                          On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 06:55:33 -0500, Jody <av1611@...> wrote:

                          >Hi Featch,
                          >
                          >>Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                          >
                          >If you get my NoteBlock it has a Clip in it that will
                          >sort specified columns, plus a lot more when working
                          >with delimited files. I think you can get it from:
                          >http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                          Hi Jody,

                          I'm afraid I have been unable to figure out which clip in Noteblock will
                          allow me to do this. :-\

                          Martin.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 14, 2001
                            Hi Martin,

                            >>>Is there an easy was to sort on a particular column?
                            >>
                            >>http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm

                            >I'm afraid I have been unable to figure out which clip in Noteblock will
                            >allow me to do this. :-\

                            I'm sorry for the very late reply; been sick, very busy, etc.

                            It is "Sort by Field..." I use a function that gets the same
                            field in each line. If I am right in my thinking, that you are
                            trying to sort a delimited file by using a column number, then
                            the above Clip should work for you.

                            Happy Clip'n!

                            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
                            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips