NewbieQ: AR Activating keys

  • Östen Häggmark
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      Is there a way to de-activate one or some of the auto-replace
      activation keys?

      How do you go about to easily insert for example a space where a
      AR-clip is instead activated?

      Why are there so many activation key, wouldn't it be sufficient
      with just one (configurable)?

      My apologies if there is some obvious answer to this which I fail
      to see, or if I just don't understand how to use this feature.
      :-)

      I downloaded and installed Notetab a couple of weeks ago but
      haven't gotten around to testing it before now, so I only have
      four days left before I have to do the decision, but I will
      probably go for a registration.

      I find that the HTML -ar feature is very nice to use, it kind of
      feels right to my way of writing HTML. Overall Notetab looks very
      good, and it seems like it has an active supporting community.

      Thanks for you help,
      Östen Häggmark
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
        Hejsan Östen!

        Välkommen ;-)

        >Is there a way to de-activate one or some of the auto-replace
        >activation keys?
        >
        >How do you go about to easily insert for example a space where a
        >AR-clip is instead activated?
        >
        >Why are there so many activation key, wouldn't it be sufficient
        >with just one (configurable)?
        >
        >My apologies if there is some obvious answer to this which I fail
        >to see, or if I just don't understand how to use this feature.
        >:-)

        Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and thought I
        would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the autoreplace libraries
        much, but I guess the choice of activation keys has been made to make
        replacements during fluent typing possible (did that make any sense??).
        Agreed it would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
        temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

        Hej då
        Lotta
      • Östen Häggmark
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 9, 2001
          Hej Lotta,

          L> Hejsan Östen!

          L> Välkommen ;-)

          Tack ska du ha! ;)

          L> Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and
          L> thought I would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the
          L> autoreplace libraries much, but I guess the choice of
          L> activation keys has been made to make replacements during
          L> fluent typing possible (did that make any sense??). Agreed it
          L> would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
          L> temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

          Thank you for "activating" the thread! :-)

          The activating keys makes sense in normal writing but for the
          purpose of inserting HTML tags I would like to disable most of
          the activating keys except one or two.

          But maybe this isn't a much used feature, and therefore not so
          configurable.

          --
          Östen
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2001
            Hi Lotta and Östen,

            Sorry for the very late reply to this. I am going backwards in
            all my mail list and private now to try to catch up.

            >> Is there a way to de-activate one or some of the auto-replace
            >> activation keys?

            Yes and no. You cannot prevent one from being triggered, but you
            can add some commands to the Clips that will make the Clip exit
            before making the replacement. In short, the auto-replace Clip
            would abort before it was fully used. See my comments below
            first, but you need to get on the Clips list for that. (See my
            sigline for the Clips list -thanks!)

            >> How do you go about to easily insert for example a space where
            >> a AR-clip is instead activated?

            A Clip could be built to do that.

            >> Why are there so many activation key, wouldn't it be sufficient
            >> with just one (configurable)?

            See Eric's comment below, but I think you really do want more
            than one. See Lotta's reply and mine below also.

            >> My apologies if there is some obvious answer to this which I
            >> fail to see, or if I just don't understand how to use this
            >> feature. :-)

            If you are not in a Library that automatically turns the feature
            on when the Library is activated, then right click over the
            Clipbook and choose "Auto-Replace". Type in some text that is
            one of the Clips and then type in an activation key.

            >Like Don I don't know. I noticed you haven't got an answer and
            >thought I would refresh the thread for you. I haven't used the
            >autoreplace libraries much, but I guess the choice of activation
            >keys has been made to make replacements during fluent typing
            >possible (did that make any sense??).

            That makes sense and if you look at what is used a number of them
            are frequently used keys after text or known delimiters. There
            was a time that we did not have the power to prevent the
            activation key from being inserted into the text, but we do now
            with the following code: ^&

            Use the "^&" symbol. From Help under "Auto-replace Mode"

            Note that if the Clip contains the cursor-positioning code ^&,
            the activating key is automatically discarded.

            >Agreed it would be a good thing if we could disable some of them
            >temporarily. Maybe we can. What about it, Jody?

            No, we cannot disable or choose what activation keys we want to
            use via an Option or feature. Eric wrote at one time off the
            lists, "I'm planning to make it possible to customize the
            activation key in NoteTab 5.0..."

            Happy Clip'n!

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
            http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips