Super NoteTab Legacy Problem

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
      Hi Group

      A club to which I belong has asked me to take responsibility for a 133Hz
      Pentium desktop PC that has not been in use for a while. I have cleared out
      lots of old files and outmoded applications, but one program on it that I
      want to keep and upgrade is Super NoteTab, but it exhibits the following
      problem.

      On opening SNP, the "Tip of the Day" screen displays (with the SNP main
      screen in the background) and I can't close the Tip of the Day screen. The
      cursor is active but the Tip screen just will not respond. Instead, I get a
      "103" error message. The only way to get rid of the message is to use Task
      Manager to close SNP.

      This computer is running MS Windows NT in stand-alone mode (not networked).
      The version of NT is probably pretty old (I can get that info if it would be
      helpful) and I know that no service packs were ever installed on it. I
      can't determine the version of Super NoteTab because I can't get past the
      Tip screen. I'm not even sure SNT was ever able to run successfully on this
      computer because I've read NoteTab has had some problems running under NT.

      Like most of the other software on this computer, the original disks and CDs
      are lost.

      1st question: How can I get SNP to run?

      2nd question: Assuming SNP can be made to run, are there any quirks to
      observe in upgrading SNP to NTPro in this Win NT environment?

      3rd question: I may try to upgrade the operating system to Win 2000. Are
      there any NTPro issues with Win 2000?

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
        Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:
        > This computer is running MS Windows NT in stand-alone mode (not networked).
        > The version of NT is probably pretty old (I can get that info if it would be
        > helpful) and I know that no service packs were ever installed on it. I
        > can't determine the version of Super NoteTab because I can't get past the
        > Tip screen. I'm not even sure SNT was ever able to run successfully on this
        > computer because I've read NoteTab has had some problems running under NT.

        Ray:

        It's true that NoteTab has had some problems with NT, but no more than
        the problems that every software product has with every variant of
        Windows. Certainly I've never had any trouble getting it to run on
        Windows NT 4 (with service patch 4 and later). Having difficulties on
        this platform is not the norm, so let's assume your problem can be
        solved.

        > 1st question: How can I get SNP to run?

        But let's pick the right problem. Why would you want to get a legacy
        version of Super NoteTab to run, when a completely new version of
        NoteTab Light is available for download for free.

        > 2nd question: Assuming SNP can be made to run, are there any quirks to
        > observe in upgrading SNP to NTPro in this Win NT environment?

        Under your circumstances, I'd recommend not trying to "upgrade" the
        existing installation of NoteTab. Instead, simply uninstall it, and
        then install the newer version.

        > 3rd question: I may try to upgrade the operating system to Win 2000. Are
        > there any NTPro issues with Win 2000?

        I'll have to defer to Jody and other list members on this question.
        Yes, there have been some issues, but I haven't tried running NoteTab on
        Win2K.

        Finally, I heartily recommend that you upgrade your operating system.
        If for no other reason, do it because the newest service patches of NT4
        have fixed a VERY large number of security issues. If you're on NT4,
        all you need to do is download and install the latest service patch. If
        you're still on NT3, you may have a real problem: I doubt you can buy a
        new copy of NT4, now that Win2K is available. You may be forced to
        upgrade all the way, and it's conceivable that this newest MS OS won't
        run on legacy hardware from that far back.

        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
          Hi Dr. Paul and Ray,

          >Under your circumstances, I'd recommend not trying to "upgrade"
          >the existing installation of NoteTab. Instead, simply uninstall
          >it, and then install the newer version.

          I agree, and also agree that you may want to just download the
          latest version. If you are wanting to install SNT and since you
          do not have it to reinstall, I will get with you in private
          eMail. You might try creating a new ini file though just for
          grins to see if that clears your problem.

          >> 3rd question: I may try to upgrade the operating system to Win
          >> 2000. Are there any NTPro issues with Win 2000?

          I have not been getting any problem reports out of the ordinary
          for Win2000 and there are many list members running it with
          NoteTab and have not complained, so you should be good to go with
          it. I can't say if SNT will run under it though.

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
            Ray,

            At 01:34 AM 3/4/01, you wrote:
            >Hi Group
            >
            >A club to which I belong has asked me to take responsibility for a 133Hz
            >Pentium desktop PC that has not been in use for a while. I have cleared out
            >lots of old files and outmoded applications, but one program on it that I
            >want to keep and upgrade is Super NoteTab, but it exhibits the following
            >problem.

            >Like most of the other software on this computer, the original disks and CDs
            >are lost.
            >Thanks for the help,
            >
            >Ray Shapp
            >Watchung, NJ

            Just my thoughts, but having been in this situation before, I would say
            that you have 2 choices.

            #1 Take a hammer and start hitting yourself in the forehead

            OR

            As a minimum, go to the device manager and research and backup all of your
            drivers and the Windows directory(back up the whole drive if you can)

            AND THEN

            FDisk the drive and load Win 98 on it and start from a known reference.

            THEN

            If all goes well there, then try fdisking and loading WIN2K.

            As old as that system is, the hardware may need drivers that Win2K doesn't
            have,
            and for which the manufacturers didn't write Win2K drivers.

            If you don't have the disks with the drivers, then it is imperative to find
            and back them up.

            Saving the existing drive and putting in a new one might be the best of all
            worlds.

            Just my thoughts.

            Jim