Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light failed to reload open documents

  • jnt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
      In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010228164704.00b1f2d0@...>, Jody
      <av1611@...> writes
      >>I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set
      >>to reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days
      >>ago I started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all,
      >>although all my other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the
      >>files I needed manually and since then it's been ok. Can anyone
      >>explain why it failed to open any files on this one occasion?
      >
      >There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
      >guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
      >good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the blue
      >screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000 shutdowns?
      >Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It truly is amazing
      >how well they do run being as complex as they are.

      I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been wiser
      to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful, less
      patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of open files?
      --
      jnt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
        Hi jnt,

        Since this does not have anything to do with the basic use of
        NoteTab and a very isolated problem, please post over on the
        NextRelease list, OffTopic list, or in private eMail for further
        discussion. There is a link to sign up for the NextRelease list
        below if you would like to report it as a bug. Thank you! More
        comments follow...

        >> There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
        >> guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
        >> good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the
        >> blue screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000
        >> shutdowns? Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It
        >> truly is amazing how well they do run being as complex as they
        >> are.
        >
        >I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been
        >wiser to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful,
        >less patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of
        >open files?

        I'm sorry you are disappointed with my answer but it was a
        truthful one. Instead of giving you some possibilities of things
        that I know could have cause it I just left it at what I did,
        because I felt that was the best answer to give for the
        particular situation since, IMO, there is not an answer for it.

        Two main things could have happened though. One is you had a
        lock up or crash and so NoteTab like any program that writes to
        an ini file on shut down would not remember any changes made
        during the current session. The second is your ini file got
        corrupt somehow; windows or your computer could have burped at
        the time the files were to be written to the ini file. Also,
        Windows, your computer, or NoteTab could have burped during the
        time it was to read that part of the program to open the files.

        Happy Test'n,
        Jody Adair

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
      • DA
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hi jnt,

          Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
          one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
          When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
          normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
          instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
          NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
          turn off multiple instances for this reason.

          I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
          really overloaded with work, but tries his best. We all fail once in while!
          :-)

          DA
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hi DA, jnt, and Others,

            >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances
            >and you had one instance already open but it was minimized or
            >hidden by another window. When you open the second instance it
            >will be empty as you described. If you normally only open one
            >instance with your preloaded files, then close that instance
            >before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that
            >you have NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use
            >preloaded files also and I turn off multiple instances for this
            >reason.

            Thanks DA; I'd forgot about that one and there are more
            possibilities. I don't mind the thread continuing here as long
            as it sticks to NoteTab. Those of you who have been on the lists
            for awhile though know that I will not put up with insulting
            posts to anybody, that I intend to keep the lists running as
            friendly, helpful, useful, and to the topic of the particular
            list as possible and within my means and time.

            >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very
            >helpful. He is really overloaded with work, but tries his best.
            >We all fail once in while! :-)

            Thanks, but I saw no failure in it whatsoever except I may not
            have had the correct problem. ;) That's not to say I don't make
            my fair share of goofs though. Gee, replying to some 100-200
            posts a day, I'm bound to miss the mark at least once a day -
            haha! ...and a lot of times that is simply because I read to fast
            and did not fully understand the question.

            Thanks to everybody that posts whether they are right or wrong!!!
            And as always, thanks for deleting unneeded text from your
            replies, not posting Clips to the Basic list, posting more
            difficult things like Perl and RegExp to the other lists, putting
            meaningful topics in the Subject: line, and anything else I may
            have missed. <bg>

            BTW, somebody most of you know will be making an appearance on
            the lists sometime fairly soon (?) and that we all have missed for
            awhile now. :-)

            Thanks for the cards and money from those of you who sent them to
            us after the fire. They are *very* special to us!!! I
            especially liked the sense of humor some of you have! When you
            want to cry - laughing is best I think. <vbg>

            -jody

            If you have not laughed at us today, you missed a good joke.
            Likewise, blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they
            will never cease to amused. (Psa. 39:5)
          • jnt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
              In article <3AA11CB9.DC1D547C@...>, DA <daoki01@...>
              writes

              >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
              >one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
              >When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
              >normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
              >instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
              >NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
              >turn off multiple instances for this reason.

              Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I have multiple instances disabled.

              >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
              >really overloaded with work, but tries his best.

              Having subscribed, on and off, to the various lists I'm aware of Jody's
              efforts - I don't know how he manages.

              --
              jnt
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
                Hi jnt,

                I'm not one much for just saying "thanks" back to the list to
                keep the posts down (do in private eMail a lot), but thanks jnt.
                I am disabled so I do not have a 40 hour week job to go to which
                puts me about 50 hours ahead of most people although I do a few
                hours a day (sometimes more and sometimes a lot less) support
                mail. ;)

                I do have a number of FAQs in a Library that I just type a
                keyword (or letter(s) into my eMail program and copy/cut and the
                full FAQ is sent from NoteTab to where I copied or cut the text
                from. It, my Library that I call NoteBack (Back is my copy;),
                uses NoteTab's OnClipboardChange event and PasteBack command. It
                works on the same principle as the PasteClips Library that ships
                with NoteTab, but a bit more complicated. If I forget my
                keyword, I type in a "?" without the quotes and a wizard comes up
                with my keywords first in parenthesis to help me remember them
                and then a short description on what the FAQ is about. I simply
                click on the one I want then OK (or double click) and the full
                FAQ is shipped "along with me" back to my eMail client.

                http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab