Re: Filtering binary code

  • Janos.Gereben
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
      Lotta wrote:

      > It's here:
      > View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
      >
      > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
      it
      > can damage the file severely.

      and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
      couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
      me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Janos Gereben/SF, CA
      janos451@...
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi Janos and Eric,

        Janos wrote:
        > > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
        > >it can damage the file severely.

        >and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
        >couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
        >me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

        <VBG> Just as well since I was wrong. I had totally misunderstood that. As
        Eric told us, it's OK to open a binary file in NTB. I take it you maybe did
        a little editing? "Hand off" seems to be the rule. Sorry about you lost
        mail. Thank God the lists are archived ;-)

        Eric wrote:
        >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
        >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
        >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
        >the document read-only.

        Thanks for your kind words, Eric. I feel I'm very much at the receiving end
        here. I've learnt a lot on this list both about NTB and computers in
        general. I still have a long way to go, so I guess I'll be staying a while. ;-)

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi Janos,

          > How come you didn't warn me before I asked the question?!...:)
          > & ...:(

          You should not have turned off the warnings, but if you want to
          blame Lotta, that's K, it's good for her - haha! It would be
          good for all of you to open View | Options | Files and press the
          Help button. Read and understand what the three settings for
          binary files do. If you do not understand it, then ask
          questions. Under "normal" circumstances you don't have anything
          to worry about, but as the age old question goes, "What's
          normal?" :)

          I've done some pretty "brilliant" things in my computer days -
          haha! Don't feel bad Janos. ;)

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab