NoteTab Light vs Pro install both??

  • jjdirect@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2001
      Assuming that I am interested in NoteTab Pro enough to register/pay for it
      to get the extra features not contained in NoteTab Light, does it make any
      sense at all to have both on my system... I.E. for many tasks, that I now
      use MS NotePAD, and I'm looking for quick load time, nothing much more, is
      there a discrenable difference in load time between the Pro and Light
      Versions?

      I doubt that resource consumption would be much of an issue with the amount
      of RAM I have, but load time might be something for me to consider.

      Secondly, does NoteTab Light offer the feature where URLs are automatically
      colored blue, underlined, and can be launched in the browser?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi jj,

        >Assuming that I am interested in NoteTab Pro enough to
        >register/pay for it to get the extra features not contained in
        >NoteTab Light, does it make any sense at all to have both on my
        >system... I.E. for many tasks, that I now use MS NotePAD, and I'm
        >looking for quick load time, nothing much more, is there a
        >discrenable difference in load time between the Pro and Light
        >Versions?

        Ideally, I think there are better Notepad replacements for speed
        than NoteTab (I'll send you the link to a really neat one or put
        it on my NoteTab Enhancements page. But, if you want power and a
        lot of features then you want NoteTab. I and many others have it
        open on startup and it does not close unless rebooting or
        shutting down, so the speed in opening is trivial.

        >I doubt that resource consumption would be much of an issue with
        >the amount of RAM I have, but load time might be something for me
        >to consider.

        NoteTab Pro is much better for working with large files and doing
        S&R with them. A lot of RAM does not necessarily mean plenty of
        resources.

        >Secondly, does NoteTab Light offer the feature where URLs are
        >automatically colored blue, underlined, and can be launched in
        >the browser?

        No, and neither highlight eMail addresses.

        As Don mentioned, see the comparison chart. Some people have to
        have a feature or two that Std/Light has that Pro does not so
        they loose out in order to have them IMHO. But, perhaps they do
        not need what Pro offers, so Std fits the bill for them. When v5
        comes out we want have the font, paragraph size, tabular
        settings, and drag/drop to second window issue anymore because
        the input control will be the same for both products.

        Main advantages of NoteTab Pro over NoteTab Std:

        Speed
        Very fast "Replace All" command
        URL and HTML-tag highlighting
        Multiple-level undo/redo
        Option to show nonprinting characters
        Bookmarks
        Wrap to column in real time
        Line-number ruler
        Choice between real/fixed/smart tabs

        Main advantages of NoteTab Std over NoteTab Pro:

        Works better with Asian languages
        Can use variable width fonts in document window
        Multiple tabulator settings (Distance between tab stops)
        16 MB paragraph size

        Comparison Chart

        NoteTab Pro NoteTab Std NoteTab Light
        General speed Very fast Average Average
        "Replace All" speed Very fast Average to slow Average to slow
        Show nonprinting characters Yes No No
        Multiple-level undo/redo Yes No No
        Bookmarks Yes No No
        URL and HTML highlighting Yes No No
        Use OEM fonts Yes No No
        Use variable-width fonts No Yes Yes
        Spell checker + thesaurus Yes Yes No
        Drag-and-drop editing Yes Yes Yes
        Disk Search & Replace Yes Yes Replace only during trial mode
        Supports Perl & Gawk Yes Yes Only during trial mode
        Programmable Yes Yes Partially
        Read & write EBCDIC Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
        Read & write outline files Yes Yes Read (Write in trial mode)
        Multiple tabulator settings No Yes Yes
        Can wrap text to column Yes Not in real time Not in real time
        Show line numbers Yes No No
        Maximum file size 2 GB 2 GB 2GB
        Maximum paragraph size 32 KB 16 MB 16 MB
        Cost (in USD) $19.95 $9.95 Free

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab