Re: [NTB] Filtering binary code

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
      Good morning Eric and Janos,

      Eric wrote:
      >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
      >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
      >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
      >the document read-only.

      Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
      seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

      Lotta
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
        Hi Lotta,

        > >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
        > >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
        > >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
        > >the document read-only.
        >
        >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
        >seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

        No need to be sorry. Your answers to the mailing list are really helpful.
        I'm sure a lot of users are appreciating your presence here. It's people
        like you that enable me to spend more time programming instead of answering
        questions all day. I just jump in when I see an incorrect or misleading
        answer <g>.

        Thanks for all you do here.

        Regards,
        Eric G.V. Fookes

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi Lotta,

          No, I don't think you took the warning too seriously. Click on
          View | Options | Files | Help button and read. Try turning off,
          unchecking, some of the binary options and edit the file and let
          me know what happens. <g> Make sure you have a backup before you
          do it and _do save_ it over the original like Eric said _not_ to
          do. The feature can come in handy for folks like you and I
          though when you run across a corrupt .doc file. There's a
          possibility of salvaging it in NoteTab. ;)

          >> There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in
          >> NoteTab. The important thing is not to _save_ the converted
          >> binary file in NoteTab over the original binary file. Even
          >> here, NoteTab adds some protection by making the document read-
          >> only.
          >
          >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files
          >too seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • Janos.Gereben
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
            Lotta wrote:

            > It's here:
            > View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
            >
            > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
            it
            > can damage the file severely.

            and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
            couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
            me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Janos Gereben/SF, CA
            janos451@...
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
              Hi Janos and Eric,

              Janos wrote:
              > > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
              > >it can damage the file severely.

              >and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
              >couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
              >me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

              <VBG> Just as well since I was wrong. I had totally misunderstood that. As
              Eric told us, it's OK to open a binary file in NTB. I take it you maybe did
              a little editing? "Hand off" seems to be the rule. Sorry about you lost
              mail. Thank God the lists are archived ;-)

              Eric wrote:
              >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
              >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
              >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
              >the document read-only.

              Thanks for your kind words, Eric. I feel I'm very much at the receiving end
              here. I've learnt a lot on this list both about NTB and computers in
              general. I still have a long way to go, so I guess I'll be staying a while. ;-)

              Lotta
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                Hi Janos,

                > How come you didn't warn me before I asked the question?!...:)
                > & ...:(

                You should not have turned off the warnings, but if you want to
                blame Lotta, that's K, it's good for her - haha! It would be
                good for all of you to open View | Options | Files and press the
                Help button. Read and understand what the three settings for
                binary files do. If you do not understand it, then ask
                questions. Under "normal" circumstances you don't have anything
                to worry about, but as the age old question goes, "What's
                normal?" :)

                I've done some pretty "brilliant" things in my computer days -
                haha! Don't feel bad Janos. ;)

                http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab