Re: [NTB] Filtering binary code

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hello Lotta,

      > >In a vain hope to crack the mystery of Microsoft's miserable Outlook Express
      > >Address Book, I tried to send it to NoteTab, only to get an error message
      > >about setting the filter for binary code. Where and how?
      >
      >It's here:
      >View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
      >
      >But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe it
      >can damage the file severely.

      There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
      important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
      the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
      the document read-only.

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes

    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
        Good morning Eric and Janos,

        Eric wrote:
        >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
        >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
        >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
        >the document read-only.

        Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
        seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

        Lotta
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
          Hi Lotta,

          > >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
          > >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
          > >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
          > >the document read-only.
          >
          >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
          >seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

          No need to be sorry. Your answers to the mailing list are really helpful.
          I'm sure a lot of users are appreciating your presence here. It's people
          like you that enable me to spend more time programming instead of answering
          questions all day. I just jump in when I see an incorrect or misleading
          answer <g>.

          Thanks for all you do here.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
            Hi Lotta,

            No, I don't think you took the warning too seriously. Click on
            View | Options | Files | Help button and read. Try turning off,
            unchecking, some of the binary options and edit the file and let
            me know what happens. <g> Make sure you have a backup before you
            do it and _do save_ it over the original like Eric said _not_ to
            do. The feature can come in handy for folks like you and I
            though when you run across a corrupt .doc file. There's a
            possibility of salvaging it in NoteTab. ;)

            >> There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in
            >> NoteTab. The important thing is not to _save_ the converted
            >> binary file in NoteTab over the original binary file. Even
            >> here, NoteTab adds some protection by making the document read-
            >> only.
            >
            >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files
            >too seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Janos.Gereben
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
              Lotta wrote:

              > It's here:
              > View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
              >
              > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
              it
              > can damage the file severely.

              and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
              couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
              me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Janos Gereben/SF, CA
              janos451@...
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                Hi Janos and Eric,

                Janos wrote:
                > > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
                > >it can damage the file severely.

                >and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
                >couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
                >me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

                <VBG> Just as well since I was wrong. I had totally misunderstood that. As
                Eric told us, it's OK to open a binary file in NTB. I take it you maybe did
                a little editing? "Hand off" seems to be the rule. Sorry about you lost
                mail. Thank God the lists are archived ;-)

                Eric wrote:
                >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
                >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
                >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
                >the document read-only.

                Thanks for your kind words, Eric. I feel I'm very much at the receiving end
                here. I've learnt a lot on this list both about NTB and computers in
                general. I still have a long way to go, so I guess I'll be staying a while. ;-)

                Lotta
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                  Hi Janos,

                  > How come you didn't warn me before I asked the question?!...:)
                  > & ...:(

                  You should not have turned off the warnings, but if you want to
                  blame Lotta, that's K, it's good for her - haha! It would be
                  good for all of you to open View | Options | Files and press the
                  Help button. Read and understand what the three settings for
                  binary files do. If you do not understand it, then ask
                  questions. Under "normal" circumstances you don't have anything
                  to worry about, but as the age old question goes, "What's
                  normal?" :)

                  I've done some pretty "brilliant" things in my computer days -
                  haha! Don't feel bad Janos. ;)

                  http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab