Filtering binary code

  • Janos.Gereben
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
      In a vain hope to crack the mystery of Microsoft's miserable Outlook Express
      Address Book, I tried to send it to NoteTab, only to get an error message
      about setting the filter for binary code. Where and how?

      (All I am trying to do is use the address book developed over a long span of
      time on my desktop on my laptop! That's not too much to ask, is it? One
      would think that the import function should take care of that, but it
      doesn't. Ah, for the good days of shell accounts and keeping my ELM aliases
      on the server, accessible from anywhere...:(((

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Janos Gereben/SF, CA
      janos451@...
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi,

        >In a vain hope to crack the mystery of Microsoft's miserable Outlook Express
        >Address Book, I tried to send it to NoteTab, only to get an error message
        >about setting the filter for binary code. Where and how?

        It's here:
        View | Options | Files | Filter binary code

        But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe it
        can damage the file severely. I *think* the option is more as a security if
        you open a binary file by mistake or if a text file produced by some evil
        app contains binaries.You need a hex editor or viewer. I've heard good
        things about the freeware xvi32.
        http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm
        You should find a bunch of others at the free/shareware sites.

        Change email client - says me that's stuck with bulky Dora ;-)
        Lotta
      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
          Hello Lotta,

          > >In a vain hope to crack the mystery of Microsoft's miserable Outlook Express
          > >Address Book, I tried to send it to NoteTab, only to get an error message
          > >about setting the filter for binary code. Where and how?
          >
          >It's here:
          >View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
          >
          >But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe it
          >can damage the file severely.

          There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
          important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
          the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
          the document read-only.

          Regards,
          Eric G.V. Fookes

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
            Good morning Eric and Janos,

            Eric wrote:
            >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
            >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
            >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
            >the document read-only.

            Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
            seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

            Lotta
          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              > >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
              > >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
              > >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
              > >the document read-only.
              >
              >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files too
              >seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

              No need to be sorry. Your answers to the mailing list are really helpful.
              I'm sure a lot of users are appreciating your presence here. It's people
              like you that enable me to spend more time programming instead of answering
              questions all day. I just jump in when I see an incorrect or misleading
              answer <g>.

              Thanks for all you do here.

              Regards,
              Eric G.V. Fookes

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                Hi Lotta,

                No, I don't think you took the warning too seriously. Click on
                View | Options | Files | Help button and read. Try turning off,
                unchecking, some of the binary options and edit the file and let
                me know what happens. <g> Make sure you have a backup before you
                do it and _do save_ it over the original like Eric said _not_ to
                do. The feature can come in handy for folks like you and I
                though when you run across a corrupt .doc file. There's a
                possibility of salvaging it in NoteTab. ;)

                >> There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in
                >> NoteTab. The important thing is not to _save_ the converted
                >> binary file in NoteTab over the original binary file. Even
                >> here, NoteTab adds some protection by making the document read-
                >> only.
                >
                >Sorry, I must have taken the warnings not to edit binary files
                >too seriously. Well, all for the better. Thanks Eric.

                http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
              • Janos.Gereben
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                  Lotta wrote:

                  > It's here:
                  > View | Options | Files | Filter binary code
                  >
                  > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
                  it
                  > can damage the file severely.

                  and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
                  couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
                  me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Janos Gereben/SF, CA
                  janos451@...
                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                    Hi Janos and Eric,

                    Janos wrote:
                    > > But it isn't an entirely good idea to open such a file in NTB. I believe
                    > >it can damage the file severely.

                    >and, boy!, is she ever right. I lost two months' worth of messages, and
                    >couldn't figure out why until I read this message. How come you didn't warn
                    >me before I asked the question?!...:) & ...:(

                    <VBG> Just as well since I was wrong. I had totally misunderstood that. As
                    Eric told us, it's OK to open a binary file in NTB. I take it you maybe did
                    a little editing? "Hand off" seems to be the rule. Sorry about you lost
                    mail. Thank God the lists are archived ;-)

                    Eric wrote:
                    >There's no risk at all if the file is only being opened in NoteTab. The
                    >important thing is not to _save_ the converted binary file in NoteTab over
                    >the original binary file. Even here, NoteTab adds some protection by making
                    >the document read-only.

                    Thanks for your kind words, Eric. I feel I'm very much at the receiving end
                    here. I've learnt a lot on this list both about NTB and computers in
                    general. I still have a long way to go, so I guess I'll be staying a while. ;-)

                    Lotta
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001
                      Hi Janos,

                      > How come you didn't warn me before I asked the question?!...:)
                      > & ...:(

                      You should not have turned off the warnings, but if you want to
                      blame Lotta, that's K, it's good for her - haha! It would be
                      good for all of you to open View | Options | Files and press the
                      Help button. Read and understand what the three settings for
                      binary files do. If you do not understand it, then ask
                      questions. Under "normal" circumstances you don't have anything
                      to worry about, but as the age old question goes, "What's
                      normal?" :)

                      I've done some pretty "brilliant" things in my computer days -
                      haha! Don't feel bad Janos. ;)

                      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab