Re: [NTB] NoteTab Light failed to reload open documents

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi jnt,

      >I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set
      >to reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days
      >ago I started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all,
      >although all my other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the
      >files I needed manually and since then it's been ok. Can anyone
      >explain why it failed to open any files on this one occasion?

      There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
      guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
      good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the blue
      screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000 shutdowns?
      Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It truly is amazing
      how well they do run being as complex as they are. You are a wee
      bit outdated; you want Light at the bottom of the list:

      Our latest version of NoteTab is 4.84:

      http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm
      http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

      NoteTab Pro v4.84 (Pro); size 1772270 bytes; 1772 KB:
      http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/wrapper/ntp484wp.exe

      NoteTab Pro v4.84 (trial); size 1,595,935 bytes; 1559 KB:
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/ntbpro.zip
      or
      http://www.notetab.ch/ftp/ntbpro.zip
      or
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/trial/ntbpro.zip

      Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus
      (size 1,394 KB; updated 8 May 2000)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

      NoteTab Light v4.84 (Freeware); size 1,538,980 bytes; 1503 KB:
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/ntfree.zip
      or
      http://www.notetab.ch/ftp/ntfree.zip
      or
      http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/ntfree.zip

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
    • jnt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
        In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010228164704.00b1f2d0@...>, Jody
        <av1611@...> writes
        >>I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set
        >>to reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days
        >>ago I started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all,
        >>although all my other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the
        >>files I needed manually and since then it's been ok. Can anyone
        >>explain why it failed to open any files on this one occasion?
        >
        >There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
        >guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
        >good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the blue
        >screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000 shutdowns?
        >Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It truly is amazing
        >how well they do run being as complex as they are.

        I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been wiser
        to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful, less
        patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of open files?
        --
        jnt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
          Hi jnt,

          Since this does not have anything to do with the basic use of
          NoteTab and a very isolated problem, please post over on the
          NextRelease list, OffTopic list, or in private eMail for further
          discussion. There is a link to sign up for the NextRelease list
          below if you would like to report it as a bug. Thank you! More
          comments follow...

          >> There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
          >> guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
          >> good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the
          >> blue screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000
          >> shutdowns? Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It
          >> truly is amazing how well they do run being as complex as they
          >> are.
          >
          >I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been
          >wiser to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful,
          >less patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of
          >open files?

          I'm sorry you are disappointed with my answer but it was a
          truthful one. Instead of giving you some possibilities of things
          that I know could have cause it I just left it at what I did,
          because I felt that was the best answer to give for the
          particular situation since, IMO, there is not an answer for it.

          Two main things could have happened though. One is you had a
          lock up or crash and so NoteTab like any program that writes to
          an ini file on shut down would not remember any changes made
          during the current session. The second is your ini file got
          corrupt somehow; windows or your computer could have burped at
          the time the files were to be written to the ini file. Also,
          Windows, your computer, or NoteTab could have burped during the
          time it was to read that part of the program to open the files.

          Happy Test'n,
          Jody Adair

          Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        • DA
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
            Hi jnt,

            Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
            one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
            When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
            normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
            instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
            NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
            turn off multiple instances for this reason.

            I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
            really overloaded with work, but tries his best. We all fail once in while!
            :-)

            DA
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
              Hi DA, jnt, and Others,

              >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances
              >and you had one instance already open but it was minimized or
              >hidden by another window. When you open the second instance it
              >will be empty as you described. If you normally only open one
              >instance with your preloaded files, then close that instance
              >before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that
              >you have NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use
              >preloaded files also and I turn off multiple instances for this
              >reason.

              Thanks DA; I'd forgot about that one and there are more
              possibilities. I don't mind the thread continuing here as long
              as it sticks to NoteTab. Those of you who have been on the lists
              for awhile though know that I will not put up with insulting
              posts to anybody, that I intend to keep the lists running as
              friendly, helpful, useful, and to the topic of the particular
              list as possible and within my means and time.

              >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very
              >helpful. He is really overloaded with work, but tries his best.
              >We all fail once in while! :-)

              Thanks, but I saw no failure in it whatsoever except I may not
              have had the correct problem. ;) That's not to say I don't make
              my fair share of goofs though. Gee, replying to some 100-200
              posts a day, I'm bound to miss the mark at least once a day -
              haha! ...and a lot of times that is simply because I read to fast
              and did not fully understand the question.

              Thanks to everybody that posts whether they are right or wrong!!!
              And as always, thanks for deleting unneeded text from your
              replies, not posting Clips to the Basic list, posting more
              difficult things like Perl and RegExp to the other lists, putting
              meaningful topics in the Subject: line, and anything else I may
              have missed. <bg>

              BTW, somebody most of you know will be making an appearance on
              the lists sometime fairly soon (?) and that we all have missed for
              awhile now. :-)

              Thanks for the cards and money from those of you who sent them to
              us after the fire. They are *very* special to us!!! I
              especially liked the sense of humor some of you have! When you
              want to cry - laughing is best I think. <vbg>

              -jody

              If you have not laughed at us today, you missed a good joke.
              Likewise, blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they
              will never cease to amused. (Psa. 39:5)
            • jnt
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
                In article <3AA11CB9.DC1D547C@...>, DA <daoki01@...>
                writes

                >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
                >one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
                >When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
                >normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
                >instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
                >NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
                >turn off multiple instances for this reason.

                Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I have multiple instances disabled.

                >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
                >really overloaded with work, but tries his best.

                Having subscribed, on and off, to the various lists I'm aware of Jody's
                efforts - I don't know how he manages.

                --
                jnt
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2001
                  Hi jnt,

                  I'm not one much for just saying "thanks" back to the list to
                  keep the posts down (do in private eMail a lot), but thanks jnt.
                  I am disabled so I do not have a 40 hour week job to go to which
                  puts me about 50 hours ahead of most people although I do a few
                  hours a day (sometimes more and sometimes a lot less) support
                  mail. ;)

                  I do have a number of FAQs in a Library that I just type a
                  keyword (or letter(s) into my eMail program and copy/cut and the
                  full FAQ is sent from NoteTab to where I copied or cut the text
                  from. It, my Library that I call NoteBack (Back is my copy;),
                  uses NoteTab's OnClipboardChange event and PasteBack command. It
                  works on the same principle as the PasteClips Library that ships
                  with NoteTab, but a bit more complicated. If I forget my
                  keyword, I type in a "?" without the quotes and a wizard comes up
                  with my keywords first in parenthesis to help me remember them
                  and then a short description on what the FAQ is about. I simply
                  click on the one I want then OK (or double click) and the full
                  FAQ is shipped "along with me" back to my eMail client.