NoteTab Light failed to reload open documents

  • jnt
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2001
      I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set to
      reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days ago I
      started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all, although all my
      other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the files I needed manually
      and since then it's been ok. Can anyone explain why it failed to open
      any files on this one occasion?
      --
      jnt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2001
        Hi jnt,

        >I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set
        >to reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days
        >ago I started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all,
        >although all my other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the
        >files I needed manually and since then it's been ok. Can anyone
        >explain why it failed to open any files on this one occasion?

        There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
        guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
        good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the blue
        screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000 shutdowns?
        Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It truly is amazing
        how well they do run being as complex as they are. You are a wee
        bit outdated; you want Light at the bottom of the list:

        Our latest version of NoteTab is 4.84:

        http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm
        http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

        NoteTab Pro v4.84 (Pro); size 1772270 bytes; 1772 KB:
        http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm
        http://www.fookes.com/ftp/wrapper/ntp484wp.exe

        NoteTab Pro v4.84 (trial); size 1,595,935 bytes; 1559 KB:
        http://www.notetab.com/ftp/ntbpro.zip
        or
        http://www.notetab.ch/ftp/ntbpro.zip
        or
        http://www.fookes.com/ftp/trial/ntbpro.zip

        Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus
        (size 1,394 KB; updated 8 May 2000)
        http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe

        NoteTab Light v4.84 (Freeware); size 1,538,980 bytes; 1503 KB:
        http://www.notetab.com/ftp/ntfree.zip
        or
        http://www.notetab.ch/ftp/ntfree.zip
        or
        http://www.fookes.com/ftp/free/ntfree.zip

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • jnt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2 12:13 PM
          In article <4.3.2.7.2.20010228164704.00b1f2d0@...>, Jody
          <av1611@...> writes
          >>I'm currently running NoteTab Light 4.82 and always have it set
          >>to reload open documents, usually about 10 of them. A few days
          >>ago I started NoteTab and it didn't load any files at all,
          >>although all my other ini settings were normal. I re-opened the
          >>files I needed manually and since then it's been ok. Can anyone
          >>explain why it failed to open any files on this one occasion?
          >
          >There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
          >guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
          >good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the blue
          >screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000 shutdowns?
          >Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It truly is amazing
          >how well they do run being as complex as they are.

          I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been wiser
          to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful, less
          patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of open files?
          --
          jnt
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3 6:57 AM
            Hi jnt,

            Since this does not have anything to do with the basic use of
            NoteTab and a very isolated problem, please post over on the
            NextRelease list, OffTopic list, or in private eMail for further
            discussion. There is a link to sign up for the NextRelease list
            below if you would like to report it as a bug. Thank you! More
            comments follow...

            >> There could probably be a number of reasons for i, so I'd be
            >> guessing at best. The fact is, it is working now and that is
            >> good news. You are asking something like, "Why do I get the
            >> blue screen when I shut down Windows about once every 5000
            >> shutdowns? Unexplained glitches happen with computers. It
            >> truly is amazing how well they do run being as complex as they
            >> are.
            >
            >I'm disappointed with this response. I think you would have been
            >wiser to say you don't know. Has anyone else got a more helpful,
            >less patronising suggestion as to why NoteTab lost my list of
            >open files?

            I'm sorry you are disappointed with my answer but it was a
            truthful one. Instead of giving you some possibilities of things
            that I know could have cause it I just left it at what I did,
            because I felt that was the best answer to give for the
            particular situation since, IMO, there is not an answer for it.

            Two main things could have happened though. One is you had a
            lock up or crash and so NoteTab like any program that writes to
            an ini file on shut down would not remember any changes made
            during the current session. The second is your ini file got
            corrupt somehow; windows or your computer could have burped at
            the time the files were to be written to the ini file. Also,
            Windows, your computer, or NoteTab could have burped during the
            time it was to read that part of the program to open the files.

            Happy Test'n,
            Jody Adair

            Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
          • DA
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3 8:32 AM
              Hi jnt,

              Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
              one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
              When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
              normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
              instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
              NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
              turn off multiple instances for this reason.

              I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
              really overloaded with work, but tries his best. We all fail once in while!
              :-)

              DA
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3 9:30 AM
                Hi DA, jnt, and Others,

                >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances
                >and you had one instance already open but it was minimized or
                >hidden by another window. When you open the second instance it
                >will be empty as you described. If you normally only open one
                >instance with your preloaded files, then close that instance
                >before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that
                >you have NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use
                >preloaded files also and I turn off multiple instances for this
                >reason.

                Thanks DA; I'd forgot about that one and there are more
                possibilities. I don't mind the thread continuing here as long
                as it sticks to NoteTab. Those of you who have been on the lists
                for awhile though know that I will not put up with insulting
                posts to anybody, that I intend to keep the lists running as
                friendly, helpful, useful, and to the topic of the particular
                list as possible and within my means and time.

                >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very
                >helpful. He is really overloaded with work, but tries his best.
                >We all fail once in while! :-)

                Thanks, but I saw no failure in it whatsoever except I may not
                have had the correct problem. ;) That's not to say I don't make
                my fair share of goofs though. Gee, replying to some 100-200
                posts a day, I'm bound to miss the mark at least once a day -
                haha! ...and a lot of times that is simply because I read to fast
                and did not fully understand the question.

                Thanks to everybody that posts whether they are right or wrong!!!
                And as always, thanks for deleting unneeded text from your
                replies, not posting Clips to the Basic list, posting more
                difficult things like Perl and RegExp to the other lists, putting
                meaningful topics in the Subject: line, and anything else I may
                have missed. <bg>

                BTW, somebody most of you know will be making an appearance on
                the lists sometime fairly soon (?) and that we all have missed for
                awhile now. :-)

                Thanks for the cards and money from those of you who sent them to
                us after the fire. They are *very* special to us!!! I
                especially liked the sense of humor some of you have! When you
                want to cry - laughing is best I think. <vbg>

                -jody

                If you have not laughed at us today, you missed a good joke.
                Likewise, blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they
                will never cease to amused. (Psa. 39:5)
              • jnt
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3 10:49 AM
                  In article <3AA11CB9.DC1D547C@...>, DA <daoki01@...>
                  writes

                  >Another possibility is that NoteTab is set for multiple instances and you had
                  >one instance already open but it was minimized or hidden by another window.
                  >When you open the second instance it will be empty as you described. If you
                  >normally only open one instance with your preloaded files, then close that
                  >instance before starting NoteTab again, you might not have noticed that you have
                  >NoteTab configured for multiple instances. I use preloaded files also and I
                  >turn off multiple instances for this reason.

                  Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I have multiple instances disabled.

                  >I have to defend Jody here because I have seen him be very helpful. He is
                  >really overloaded with work, but tries his best.

                  Having subscribed, on and off, to the various lists I'm aware of Jody's
                  efforts - I don't know how he manages.

                  --
                  jnt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3 6:08 PM
                    Hi jnt,

                    I'm not one much for just saying "thanks" back to the list to
                    keep the posts down (do in private eMail a lot), but thanks jnt.
                    I am disabled so I do not have a 40 hour week job to go to which
                    puts me about 50 hours ahead of most people although I do a few
                    hours a day (sometimes more and sometimes a lot less) support
                    mail. ;)

                    I do have a number of FAQs in a Library that I just type a
                    keyword (or letter(s) into my eMail program and copy/cut and the
                    full FAQ is sent from NoteTab to where I copied or cut the text
                    from. It, my Library that I call NoteBack (Back is my copy;),
                    uses NoteTab's OnClipboardChange event and PasteBack command. It
                    works on the same principle as the PasteClips Library that ships
                    with NoteTab, but a bit more complicated. If I forget my
                    keyword, I type in a "?" without the quotes and a wizard comes up
                    with my keywords first in parenthesis to help me remember them
                    and then a short description on what the FAQ is about. I simply
                    click on the one I want then OK (or double click) and the full
                    FAQ is shipped "along with me" back to my eMail client.