Re: [NTB] cannot save files

  • beret
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
      Jody wrote:

      > It was definitely a Win95 and IE4 thing before for the most part.
      > You might find some other programs effected by it as well.

      okay, I think I should start listening to you. Tried several other
      things today, nothing helps. For some reason 2 harddrives are managed in
      doscompatible mode (some driver that I have not lovaceted yet perhaps
      causing this?). Could this a reason for Notetab to get confused?

      Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
      libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
      is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

      > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:

      I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I was
      thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in the darkness
      at the other half of the world) that I don't see any reaction that long?
      Thank you, thank you very much.

      But seriously. I really hate these shimmery MS-update things so I'm glad
      you show me the way. and again you gave me some hope.
      But that Notetab-partition is going to be there. Just to be sure.

      > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

      I've found it! It's there!

      thanks, grtz. bert.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
        Hi Beret,

        >okay, I think I should start listening to you.

        I surely do not have all the answers, but I do not type just for
        the fun of it either. <g>

        >Tried several other things today, nothing helps. For some reason
        >2 harddrives are managed in doscompatible mode (some driver that
        >I have not lovaceted yet perhaps causing this?). Could this a
        >reason for Notetab to get confused? Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
        >libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
        >is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

        I have no idea. These ghost bugs are hard to find. We must have
        had over 500 eMails on the lists back when IE4 and Win95 were
        popular. It appears something new has entered into the seen or
        MS recreated the ghost!

        >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
        >
        >I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I
        >was thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in
        >the darkness at the other half of the world) that I don't see any
        >reaction that long? Thank you, thank you very much.

        It only took a few minutes with NoteTab. A few clicks, a click
        here, and a click there, some touch up, and a click to upload...
        ;) It's for you and if anybody else comes looking. Since I've
        seen a couple spring up in Win95 after not seeing it for a couple
        years it seems... that it might be back. :( I hope you can get
        by with renaming the files mentioned, updating, and not having to
        reformat C:\ or deleting C:\Windows and C:\root.

        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
      • beret
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
          Jody,
          > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
          > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

          Some of the links are dead:

          -KERNEL32 Update
          -Win95 OLE32 Update
          -System Updates

          cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update page
          either.

          bert.
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
            beret wrote:

            > Jody,
            > > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
            > > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
            >
            > Some of the links are dead:
            >
            > -KERNEL32 Update
            > -Win95 OLE32 Update
            > -System Updates
            >
            > bert.

            Hi,

            Bert and Jody,

            I don't know if this will be of any help but I use both sites
            below to try to keep my computer software updated.

            Both links work pretty well. They both scan your hard drive to
            check for needed updates and the both come up with somewhat
            different results.

            The only thing you may not like is, the cnet site has to download
            and install a small program on your hard drive. I've had it for
            several months and it is, apparently, safe.

            Just pay attention to the term of the found updates, some are
            updates while others are upgrades. The upgrades are either
            time-limited or will cost for purchase of software.

            If you've already tried these with no help, sorry, but thay are
            handy to have around for a quick check.

            http://catchup.cnet.com/

            http://updates.zdnet.com/

            hrs
          • beret
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
              Jody wrote:

              > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
              > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

              The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
              installing DCOM95 did it :-).
              After saving some 50 file under various conditions today I think I can
              make this statement without the need of knocking on wood.

              Perhaps a recent re-install of a prety old version of Norton Systemworkd
              has been causing the problem. Found a much older version of DCOM95
              somehwere in nortons' program-directories. Some DLL's must hav gone out
              of sync.
              Next time I know what suspucious things are to look at.

              My personal notetab-supportpage is in my personal archives, so you may
              delete it as far as I'm concerned.

              Jody Thanks again,
              And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some computerstore
              in this village called the Netherlands, I will very seriously consider
              bying it.:-)

              > Happy NoteTab'n,

              for once, "yes indeed".

              bert.
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                Hi Beret, Harvey, and Others,

                We need to take this to private eMail now or the Off-Topic list.
                See below for the sign-up and my comments. I'm sending the two
                post from Beret and Harvey, plus this one over there.

                >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                >
                >Some of the links are dead:
                >
                >-KERNEL32 Update
                >-Win95 OLE32 Update
                >-System Updates
                >
                >cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update
                >page either.

                You should have all the updates in IE5, but maybe that is what
                broke it? Did it start happening when you installed or upgraded
                IE? (Off-Topic list please:)

                They were good the other day - I'll check, they might be those
                kind that expire so people cannot use direct download links or MS
                already changed the links. That's why I gave the WinMag site who
                is forever checking MS who is forever changing their links. There
                was a separate link for some of the files.

                You might try this link and scroll through till you find kernal32:

                Choose Windows 95 and Windows 95 in both fields searching by Product:
                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?PR=CHS&FR=0&M=S&

                http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=12742
                English Update, try replacing the EN-US with the German pages ;)
                Or change the pages to your country when first starting?
                http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/whitepap/1/W95/EN-US/Kernel.exe

                Thanks for the info Harvey. Sometimes the updates MS used on the
                Win95 would not do anything if it already saw a current or newer
                on the drive though and I suspect doing it through the online is
                an automatic type thing. WinMag has the same kind of Active Update
                Center thing.

                You might get the Kernal PowerToys and/or regular PowerToys. One
                of them lets you read .cab files off a CD if you do not already
                have a means. I think WinZip supports it now. Anyway, I don't
                know the cabs, but since a reformat seems to fix the problem,
                then that would indicate the files on the CD should fix it if you
                can get the right files. I don't think DECOM95 (which is the
                main one you want) is on the 95 CD. In fact, read this from
                WinMag on CAB files:

                http://www.winmag.com/windows/win95/tips.htm

                PowerToys (Has the cab file thing)
                http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/default.asp

                List of OS' for Tips
                http://tips.winmag.com/?ls=wmnavtips

                Hot Fixes Page
                http://www.winmag.com/fixes/default.htm

                Happy Topics,
                Jody

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                  Hi Beret,

                  > And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some
                  > computerstore in this village called the Netherlands, I will
                  > very seriously consider bying it.:-)

                  Why not let me put the "store" on your desktop? :)

                  Online ordering:
                  Secure online ordering with credit card.
                  Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
                  http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

                  Mail orders:
                  Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
                  "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
                  any registered products that you may have already.
                  http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

                  Fax orders (Site licences/Company/Educational/Invoices)
                  Payment by check or money order.
                  850-626-0993 (Voice/Fax)

                  Write me at Jody@... or Support@... for special
                  arrangements like PayPal, International currencies...

                  (I'm still working on the pages above, so...)

                  >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                  >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                  >
                  >The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
                  >installing DCOM95 did it :-).

                  I feel confident that it did like you. ;)

                  http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab