Re: [NTB] cannot save files

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
      I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall. I am on win95 and (knocking
      on wood) have never experienced anything like it. I use NoteTab Pro 4.83
      and an older Light Version.

      ---
      Don Passenger

      snip

      > But seriously, I'm going to setup a separate partition for Notetab :-)
      > and other textjobs. Then the peanuts will be digestible I suppose. Just
      > a bit a pity wasting time while the machine reboots.
    • beret
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
        Don Passenger wrote:

        > I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall.

        I've tried this up to 4 times now I think in the last 5 days.
        But anyway thanks for the support :-).

        Of course it is not impossible that some other program ruined the
        registry.
        First thing I'm going to try now is delete my swapfile and before thta I
        will try putting all text on another disk with less complex and less
        deep nested subdirs. It's quite a jungle of weird trees on my
        text-partition ;-). Sometimes get an error that pathnames are to long
        for DOS f.i.
        Who knows. At last you are going to believe in Santa Claus.

        bert.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
          Hi Beret,

          >removed e_v_e_r_y_t_h_i_n_g from automatic load options (all hidden
          >processes too) so that only Notetab and Explorer are active, as far I
          >know about these things.

          I do not think so, but if it will help you stay sane... ;)

          >Is it maybe possible that it has to do something with the fact
          >that I almost every file strip from HTML-tags? I did'nt try this
          >out yet.
          >
          >> Perhaps Pro Trial would work for you?
          >
          >Aha, now I got it.
          >Jody is the sofisticated web-activated nagscreen that comes with
          >Notetab Light. I _knew_ this fantastic free program couldn't be
          >possibly free for real ever. :-(
          >
          >(just kidding)

          Why not, I wasn't!.!.!. haha

          >> You can now download NoteTab Pro (Trial) and NoteTab Light 4.84
          >> beta #11 from the following page:
          >
          >Because the earlier version that I used (4.81 I checked) showed
          >the same problems, I think it might have more efect when I move
          >to Win98 (I'm surfing W95 now). But I have my reasons to do not.

          It was definitely a Win95 and IE4 thing before for the most part.
          You might find some other programs effected by it as well.

          >> A few years back we saw a similar problem happen when IE4 was
          >> installed. It did not happen on everybody's machine, but a large
          >> portion. Normally the Open dialog also when bad or just the open
          >> and not the save.
          >
          >somewher in the update-notes I saw something about this. Your solution
          >has been not to show on of the error-boxes when such happens? Doesn't
          >make things any more transparent to me. Or maybe I did'nt read that one
          >right?

          Yes, it is under known issues, but there is no solution given.

          >I'm going to setup a separate partition for Notetab :-)
          >and other textjobs. Then the peanuts will be digestible I suppose. Just
          >a bit a pity wasting time while the machine reboots.

          I did that awhile back and it is now one of my larger drives. :)

          I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:

          http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
        • beret
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
            Jody wrote:

            > It was definitely a Win95 and IE4 thing before for the most part.
            > You might find some other programs effected by it as well.

            okay, I think I should start listening to you. Tried several other
            things today, nothing helps. For some reason 2 harddrives are managed in
            doscompatible mode (some driver that I have not lovaceted yet perhaps
            causing this?). Could this a reason for Notetab to get confused?

            Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
            libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
            is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

            > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:

            I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I was
            thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in the darkness
            at the other half of the world) that I don't see any reaction that long?
            Thank you, thank you very much.

            But seriously. I really hate these shimmery MS-update things so I'm glad
            you show me the way. and again you gave me some hope.
            But that Notetab-partition is going to be there. Just to be sure.

            > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

            I've found it! It's there!

            thanks, grtz. bert.
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
              Hi Beret,

              >okay, I think I should start listening to you.

              I surely do not have all the answers, but I do not type just for
              the fun of it either. <g>

              >Tried several other things today, nothing helps. For some reason
              >2 harddrives are managed in doscompatible mode (some driver that
              >I have not lovaceted yet perhaps causing this?). Could this a
              >reason for Notetab to get confused? Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
              >libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
              >is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

              I have no idea. These ghost bugs are hard to find. We must have
              had over 500 eMails on the lists back when IE4 and Win95 were
              popular. It appears something new has entered into the seen or
              MS recreated the ghost!

              >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
              >
              >I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I
              >was thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in
              >the darkness at the other half of the world) that I don't see any
              >reaction that long? Thank you, thank you very much.

              It only took a few minutes with NoteTab. A few clicks, a click
              here, and a click there, some touch up, and a click to upload...
              ;) It's for you and if anybody else comes looking. Since I've
              seen a couple spring up in Win95 after not seeing it for a couple
              years it seems... that it might be back. :( I hope you can get
              by with renaming the files mentioned, updating, and not having to
              reformat C:\ or deleting C:\Windows and C:\root.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                Jody,
                > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

                Some of the links are dead:

                -KERNEL32 Update
                -Win95 OLE32 Update
                -System Updates

                cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update page
                either.

                bert.
              • Harvey R. Savage
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                  beret wrote:

                  > Jody,
                  > > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                  > > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                  >
                  > Some of the links are dead:
                  >
                  > -KERNEL32 Update
                  > -Win95 OLE32 Update
                  > -System Updates
                  >
                  > bert.

                  Hi,

                  Bert and Jody,

                  I don't know if this will be of any help but I use both sites
                  below to try to keep my computer software updated.

                  Both links work pretty well. They both scan your hard drive to
                  check for needed updates and the both come up with somewhat
                  different results.

                  The only thing you may not like is, the cnet site has to download
                  and install a small program on your hard drive. I've had it for
                  several months and it is, apparently, safe.

                  Just pay attention to the term of the found updates, some are
                  updates while others are upgrades. The upgrades are either
                  time-limited or will cost for purchase of software.

                  If you've already tried these with no help, sorry, but thay are
                  handy to have around for a quick check.

                  http://catchup.cnet.com/

                  http://updates.zdnet.com/

                  hrs
                • beret
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                    Jody wrote:

                    > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                    > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

                    The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
                    installing DCOM95 did it :-).
                    After saving some 50 file under various conditions today I think I can
                    make this statement without the need of knocking on wood.

                    Perhaps a recent re-install of a prety old version of Norton Systemworkd
                    has been causing the problem. Found a much older version of DCOM95
                    somehwere in nortons' program-directories. Some DLL's must hav gone out
                    of sync.
                    Next time I know what suspucious things are to look at.

                    My personal notetab-supportpage is in my personal archives, so you may
                    delete it as far as I'm concerned.

                    Jody Thanks again,
                    And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some computerstore
                    in this village called the Netherlands, I will very seriously consider
                    bying it.:-)

                    > Happy NoteTab'n,

                    for once, "yes indeed".

                    bert.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                      Hi Beret, Harvey, and Others,

                      We need to take this to private eMail now or the Off-Topic list.
                      See below for the sign-up and my comments. I'm sending the two
                      post from Beret and Harvey, plus this one over there.

                      >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                      >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                      >
                      >Some of the links are dead:
                      >
                      >-KERNEL32 Update
                      >-Win95 OLE32 Update
                      >-System Updates
                      >
                      >cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update
                      >page either.

                      You should have all the updates in IE5, but maybe that is what
                      broke it? Did it start happening when you installed or upgraded
                      IE? (Off-Topic list please:)

                      They were good the other day - I'll check, they might be those
                      kind that expire so people cannot use direct download links or MS
                      already changed the links. That's why I gave the WinMag site who
                      is forever checking MS who is forever changing their links. There
                      was a separate link for some of the files.

                      You might try this link and scroll through till you find kernal32:

                      Choose Windows 95 and Windows 95 in both fields searching by Product:
                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?PR=CHS&FR=0&M=S&

                      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=12742
                      English Update, try replacing the EN-US with the German pages ;)
                      Or change the pages to your country when first starting?
                      http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/whitepap/1/W95/EN-US/Kernel.exe

                      Thanks for the info Harvey. Sometimes the updates MS used on the
                      Win95 would not do anything if it already saw a current or newer
                      on the drive though and I suspect doing it through the online is
                      an automatic type thing. WinMag has the same kind of Active Update
                      Center thing.

                      You might get the Kernal PowerToys and/or regular PowerToys. One
                      of them lets you read .cab files off a CD if you do not already
                      have a means. I think WinZip supports it now. Anyway, I don't
                      know the cabs, but since a reformat seems to fix the problem,
                      then that would indicate the files on the CD should fix it if you
                      can get the right files. I don't think DECOM95 (which is the
                      main one you want) is on the 95 CD. In fact, read this from
                      WinMag on CAB files:

                      http://www.winmag.com/windows/win95/tips.htm

                      PowerToys (Has the cab file thing)
                      http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/default.asp

                      List of OS' for Tips
                      http://tips.winmag.com/?ls=wmnavtips

                      Hot Fixes Page
                      http://www.winmag.com/fixes/default.htm

                      Happy Topics,
                      Jody

                      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                        Hi Beret,

                        > And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some
                        > computerstore in this village called the Netherlands, I will
                        > very seriously consider bying it.:-)

                        Why not let me put the "store" on your desktop? :)

                        Online ordering:
                        Secure online ordering with credit card.
                        Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
                        http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

                        Mail orders:
                        Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
                        "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
                        any registered products that you may have already.
                        http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

                        Fax orders (Site licences/Company/Educational/Invoices)
                        Payment by check or money order.
                        850-626-0993 (Voice/Fax)

                        Write me at Jody@... or Support@... for special
                        arrangements like PayPal, International currencies...

                        (I'm still working on the pages above, so...)

                        >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                        >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                        >
                        >The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
                        >installing DCOM95 did it :-).

                        I feel confident that it did like you. ;)

                        http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab