Skip to search.

Re: [NTB] cannot save files

  • beret
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
      Jody wrote:

      > Hi Beret,
      > >I've been away from this list for some time,...
      > Hi stranger!-)

      Strange things happening here all the time, allright ;-)

      > Make sure another program does not have them locked out and that
      > you upgrade at least to 4.83 which I suspect is what you meant by
      > 3.83 or get the latest pre-release beta of NoteTab Light.

      removed e_v_e_r_y_t_h_i_n_g from automatic load options (all hidden
      processes too) so that only Notetab and Explorer are active, as far I
      know about these things.
      As soon I've saved some files an loaded other ones for processing after
      that I'm wasting time, because latter files won't be saved. no way.
      When I quit Notepad it askes "save file xxx?" - I eagerly response
      "yeeeeessss!", and then -nothing. documenttabs remain dangerously red.

      Is it maybe possible that it has to do something with the fact that I
      almost every file strip from HTML-tags? I did'nt try this out yet.

      > Perhaps Pro Trial would work for you?

      Aha, now I got it.
      Jody is the sofisticated web-activated nagscreen that comes with Notetab
      Light. I _knew_ this fantastic free program couldn't be possibly free
      for real ever. :-(

      (just kidding)

      > You can now download NoteTab Pro (Trial) and NoteTab Light 4.84
      > beta #11 from the following page:

      Because the earlier version that I used (4.81 I checked) showed the same
      problems, I think it might have more efect when I move to Win98 (I'm
      surfing W95 now). But I have my reasons to do not.

      > A few years back we saw a similar problem happen when IE4 was
      > installed. It did not happen on everybody's machine, but a large
      > portion. Normally the Open dialog also when bad or just the open
      > and not the save.

      somewher in the update-notes I saw something about this. Your solution
      has been not to show on of the error-boxes when such happens? Doesn't
      make things any more transparent to me. Or maybe I did'nt read that one
      right?

      >...<
      > having, tried a new install, etc. She did the updates of the
      > files that usually caused the problem and none of it worked. She
      > ended up reformatting her hard drive and has not seen the problem
      > again last I heard.

      O, peanuts, do this everyday, on 3 machines. Costs me only 4 hours for
      every one of them...
      But seriously, I'm going to setup a separate partition for Notetab :-)
      and other textjobs. Then the peanuts will be digestible I suppose. Just
      a bit a pity wasting time while the machine reboots.

      thanks for the fast reply .

      kind regards, greetings and so on. bert.
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
        I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall. I am on win95 and (knocking
        on wood) have never experienced anything like it. I use NoteTab Pro 4.83
        and an older Light Version.

        ---
        Don Passenger

        snip

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
          Don Passenger wrote:

          > I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall.

          I've tried this up to 4 times now I think in the last 5 days.
          But anyway thanks for the support :-).

          Of course it is not impossible that some other program ruined the
          registry.
          First thing I'm going to try now is delete my swapfile and before thta I
          will try putting all text on another disk with less complex and less
          deep nested subdirs. It's quite a jungle of weird trees on my
          text-partition ;-). Sometimes get an error that pathnames are to long
          for DOS f.i.
          Who knows. At last you are going to believe in Santa Claus.

          bert.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
            Hi Beret,

            >removed e_v_e_r_y_t_h_i_n_g from automatic load options (all hidden
            >processes too) so that only Notetab and Explorer are active, as far I
            >know about these things.

            I do not think so, but if it will help you stay sane... ;)

            >Is it maybe possible that it has to do something with the fact
            >that I almost every file strip from HTML-tags? I did'nt try this
            >out yet.
            >
            >> Perhaps Pro Trial would work for you?
            >
            >Aha, now I got it.
            >Jody is the sofisticated web-activated nagscreen that comes with
            >Notetab Light. I _knew_ this fantastic free program couldn't be
            >possibly free for real ever. :-(
            >
            >(just kidding)

            Why not, I wasn't!.!.!. haha

            >> You can now download NoteTab Pro (Trial) and NoteTab Light 4.84
            >> beta #11 from the following page:
            >
            >Because the earlier version that I used (4.81 I checked) showed
            >the same problems, I think it might have more efect when I move
            >to Win98 (I'm surfing W95 now). But I have my reasons to do not.

            It was definitely a Win95 and IE4 thing before for the most part.
            You might find some other programs effected by it as well.

            >> A few years back we saw a similar problem happen when IE4 was
            >> installed. It did not happen on everybody's machine, but a large
            >> portion. Normally the Open dialog also when bad or just the open
            >> and not the save.
            >
            >somewher in the update-notes I saw something about this. Your solution
            >has been not to show on of the error-boxes when such happens? Doesn't
            >make things any more transparent to me. Or maybe I did'nt read that one
            >right?

            Yes, it is under known issues, but there is no solution given.

            >I'm going to setup a separate partition for Notetab :-)
            >and other textjobs. Then the peanuts will be digestible I suppose. Just
            >a bit a pity wasting time while the machine reboots.

            I did that awhile back and it is now one of my larger drives. :)

            I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:

            http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • beret
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
              Jody wrote:

              > It was definitely a Win95 and IE4 thing before for the most part.
              > You might find some other programs effected by it as well.

              okay, I think I should start listening to you. Tried several other
              things today, nothing helps. For some reason 2 harddrives are managed in
              doscompatible mode (some driver that I have not lovaceted yet perhaps
              causing this?). Could this a reason for Notetab to get confused?

              Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
              libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
              is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

              > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:

              I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I was
              thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in the darkness
              at the other half of the world) that I don't see any reaction that long?
              Thank you, thank you very much.

              But seriously. I really hate these shimmery MS-update things so I'm glad
              you show me the way. and again you gave me some hope.
              But that Notetab-partition is going to be there. Just to be sure.

              > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

              I've found it! It's there!

              thanks, grtz. bert.
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2001
                Hi Beret,

                >okay, I think I should start listening to you.

                I surely do not have all the answers, but I do not type just for
                the fun of it either. <g>

                >Tried several other things today, nothing helps. For some reason
                >2 harddrives are managed in doscompatible mode (some driver that
                >I have not lovaceted yet perhaps causing this?). Could this a
                >reason for Notetab to get confused? Would it be of use when I install IE5 (just for updating system-related
                >libraries)? My current browser is an old Netscape version so I think IE
                >is stil the version 3 that came with W95.

                I have no idea. These ghost bugs are hard to find. We must have
                had over 500 eMails on the lists back when IE4 and Win95 were
                popular. It appears something new has entered into the seen or
                MS recreated the ghost!

                >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                >
                >I'm blushing and staggering? Just for me, especially for me? I
                >was thinking: what the hell is Jody doing, (besides sleeping in
                >the darkness at the other half of the world) that I don't see any
                >reaction that long? Thank you, thank you very much.

                It only took a few minutes with NoteTab. A few clicks, a click
                here, and a click there, some touch up, and a click to upload...
                ;) It's for you and if anybody else comes looking. Since I've
                seen a couple spring up in Win95 after not seeing it for a couple
                years it seems... that it might be back. :( I hope you can get
                by with renaming the files mentioned, updating, and not having to
                reformat C:\ or deleting C:\Windows and C:\root.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                  Jody,
                  > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                  > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

                  Some of the links are dead:

                  -KERNEL32 Update
                  -Win95 OLE32 Update
                  -System Updates

                  cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update page
                  either.

                  bert.
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                    beret wrote:

                    > Jody,
                    > > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                    > > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                    >
                    > Some of the links are dead:
                    >
                    > -KERNEL32 Update
                    > -Win95 OLE32 Update
                    > -System Updates
                    >
                    > bert.

                    Hi,

                    Bert and Jody,

                    I don't know if this will be of any help but I use both sites
                    below to try to keep my computer software updated.

                    Both links work pretty well. They both scan your hard drive to
                    check for needed updates and the both come up with somewhat
                    different results.

                    The only thing you may not like is, the cnet site has to download
                    and install a small program on your hard drive. I've had it for
                    several months and it is, apparently, safe.

                    Just pay attention to the term of the found updates, some are
                    updates while others are upgrades. The upgrades are either
                    time-limited or will cost for purchase of software.

                    If you've already tried these with no help, sorry, but thay are
                    handy to have around for a quick check.

                    http://catchup.cnet.com/

                    http://updates.zdnet.com/

                    hrs
                  • beret
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                      Jody wrote:

                      > I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                      > http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm

                      The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
                      installing DCOM95 did it :-).
                      After saving some 50 file under various conditions today I think I can
                      make this statement without the need of knocking on wood.

                      Perhaps a recent re-install of a prety old version of Norton Systemworkd
                      has been causing the problem. Found a much older version of DCOM95
                      somehwere in nortons' program-directories. Some DLL's must hav gone out
                      of sync.
                      Next time I know what suspucious things are to look at.

                      My personal notetab-supportpage is in my personal archives, so you may
                      delete it as far as I'm concerned.

                      Jody Thanks again,
                      And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some computerstore
                      in this village called the Netherlands, I will very seriously consider
                      bying it.:-)

                      > Happy NoteTab'n,

                      for once, "yes indeed".

                      bert.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                        Hi Beret, Harvey, and Others,

                        We need to take this to private eMail now or the Off-Topic list.
                        See below for the sign-up and my comments. I'm sending the two
                        post from Beret and Harvey, plus this one over there.

                        >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                        >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                        >
                        >Some of the links are dead:
                        >
                        >-KERNEL32 Update
                        >-Win95 OLE32 Update
                        >-System Updates
                        >
                        >cannot find a kernel update via microsoft-windows' main update
                        >page either.

                        You should have all the updates in IE5, but maybe that is what
                        broke it? Did it start happening when you installed or upgraded
                        IE? (Off-Topic list please:)

                        They were good the other day - I'll check, they might be those
                        kind that expire so people cannot use direct download links or MS
                        already changed the links. That's why I gave the WinMag site who
                        is forever checking MS who is forever changing their links. There
                        was a separate link for some of the files.

                        You might try this link and scroll through till you find kernal32:

                        Choose Windows 95 and Windows 95 in both fields searching by Product:
                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp

                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?PR=CHS&FR=0&M=S&

                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=12742
                        English Update, try replacing the EN-US with the German pages ;)
                        Or change the pages to your country when first starting?
                        http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/whitepap/1/W95/EN-US/Kernel.exe

                        Thanks for the info Harvey. Sometimes the updates MS used on the
                        Win95 would not do anything if it already saw a current or newer
                        on the drive though and I suspect doing it through the online is
                        an automatic type thing. WinMag has the same kind of Active Update
                        Center thing.

                        You might get the Kernal PowerToys and/or regular PowerToys. One
                        of them lets you read .cab files off a CD if you do not already
                        have a means. I think WinZip supports it now. Anyway, I don't
                        know the cabs, but since a reformat seems to fix the problem,
                        then that would indicate the files on the CD should fix it if you
                        can get the right files. I don't think DECOM95 (which is the
                        main one you want) is on the 95 CD. In fact, read this from
                        WinMag on CAB files:

                        http://www.winmag.com/windows/win95/tips.htm

                        PowerToys (Has the cab file thing)
                        http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wutoys/w95pwrtoysset/default.asp

                        List of OS' for Tips
                        http://tips.winmag.com/?ls=wmnavtips

                        Hot Fixes Page
                        http://www.winmag.com/fixes/default.htm

                        Happy Topics,
                        Jody

                        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 4, 2001
                          Hi Beret,

                          > And as soon as I can find Notetab Pro on the shelf of some
                          > computerstore in this village called the Netherlands, I will
                          > very seriously consider bying it.:-)

                          Why not let me put the "store" on your desktop? :)

                          Online ordering:
                          Secure online ordering with credit card.
                          Free Internet download. CD-ROMs available with extras!
                          http://www.notetab.net/order/order.htm

                          Mail orders:
                          Free Internet download. Pay with check or money order.
                          "Build a CD-ROM" with any of our products and include
                          any registered products that you may have already.
                          http://www.notetab.net/order/prtorder.htm

                          Fax orders (Site licences/Company/Educational/Invoices)
                          Payment by check or money order.
                          850-626-0993 (Voice/Fax)

                          Write me at Jody@... or Support@... for special
                          arrangements like PayPal, International currencies...

                          (I'm still working on the pages above, so...)

                          >> I set up an update page for you. There are notes on the page:
                          >> http://www.notetab.net/html/win95.htm
                          >
                          >The ghost is back in the bottle, for a while ;-).
                          >installing DCOM95 did it :-).

                          I feel confident that it did like you. ;)

                          http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab