Re: [NTB] Revisited: Window Position (solved my own problem)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Michael,

      I hope my book is not too long winded for you. ;)

      >I was doing a search in the list archives and found a mention of
      >Saving Window State using the Title Bar. I didn't realize that I
      >should even look there.

      I'm glad you found an answer for what you were looking for. ;)
      You don't have to go to the Titlebar though. Size the window
      where you want it and look under the General tab in Options then
      check the "Save Position and Size." Click on Help while you are
      there. Click on OK in the Options dialog when you are finished
      which reading on I see you figured it out. We even had it on the
      main menu under View at one time, yep, three places. ;)

      >I have to say, that is not the most intuitive place to put an
      >option. You already have a great options page. I think you should
      >add the Open Centered option on the General tab.

      "Open Centered" would be nice to have on the General tab, but one
      would think both would be on the View tab (although the room isn't
      really there for them). I wouldn't think Eric will be messing with
      the Options layout anymore until version 5.

      However, there are other windows that have "Save Window State"
      and "Open Centered" from the same place (Control (or System)
      menu): Favorites, Find, Replace, Search Disk. So, having them on
      the program icon or Titlebar makes good sense when looking at the
      program overall. It is also real convenient having them there
      and blend in well with the other items in the lists.

      >Another idiosyncrasy is that of the 3 options: Stay On Top and
      >Open Centered are toggles (displays check mark when they enabled)
      >and the Save Window State seems to initiate an action (select it
      >and it saves the current state -- most likely useful when you
      >have disabled the Save Position and Size option on the General
      >tab). I think that using the same interface for different types
      >of actions is very confusing.

      It is basically the same as above as far as the reason for it
      being there goes. It is not confusing once one gets use to it.
      In fact, I reported it as a bug what seems like a couple years
      ago about "Save Window State" not being a toggle. However, it
      would be confusing to omit them from there since the others use
      the system menu when looking at them from the other direction.
      Why doesn't the main window have it there like the others? ;)

      I like it on the program icon myself better so I can quickly make
      the change on the fly without having to go to Options. I can
      leave the General tab (Save Position and Size) in either state
      and just click once on the program icon, then once more for it to
      snap back in place and the same with the other windows that use
      it. Keyboarders can simply Alt+Spacebar Down Enter (which is
      also useful in Clips.

      They need to be in Help like you mentioned. Notice there are some
      differences in the different areas that use them. Actually, the
      Search Disk dialog should read "width" instead of "size" but size
      in not really incorrect. <bg>.

      Favorites Dialog Box
      The dialog box size and position can be saved by opening its
      Control (or System) menu and clicking on Save Window State.

      Search Disk Dialog Box
      You can increase the size of the dialog box if necessary and save
      the new size by opening its Control (or System) menu and clicking
      on Save Window State.

      Find & Replace Dialog Boxes
      You can increase the width of the dialog box if necessary and

      http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab