why not use tidy? and where do I find the reported mistakes?

  • Mette
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2001
      Lotta I saw your comment that you don't use tidy in the answer to "where is
      tidy.exe? Why is that? Do you use something else instead?
      I have been using tidy for a while and I am wondering how to locate the
      reported mistakes because I never seem to find the mistake on the line
      number that tidy gives me. Should I not count lines from the beginning at
      the document?

      I hope this topic is on the list.

      Mette
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2001
        Hi All,

        >I hope this topic is on the list.

        All HTML related questions should really go to the HTML list
        since the Basic list is for the Basic use of NoteTab. Please,
        ya'll, don't be afraid to post because you feel like you are
        walking on egg shells as far as what list to post on, but just
        think for a second before posting and just post to whatever list
        you think would be best. When in doubt, post anywhere but the
        Basic list. :)

        Since Tidy is used for HTML, then that is the list you should
        post on. The only reason I bring it up often and try to redirect
        the posts is so it stays fresh in people's minds and so newcomers
        know about it. There are now right at 800 members on the Basic
        list and my guess is the majority of them do not do HTML so they
        would be getting a lot of mail that is useless to them. The same
        thing goes for Clips.

        The Basic list is meant for the Basic use of NoteTab, the HTML
        list for HTML, the Clips List for Clip related stuff, and the
        Off-Topic list for... One of the reasons for the different lists
        is so people can sign up for just the ones they use NoteTab for
        and also where to get the best help from. New users of NoteTab
        need the Basic list kept basic and do not need all the extra mail
        about Clips and HTML.

        You don't go to an eye doctor because your foot hurts. Likewise,
        you wouldn't ask what does the function ^$GetPath(...)$ do on the
        Basic list. Difficult topics should also go to the Clips, HTML,
        or Off-topic lists list Regular Expressions, PERL, and the like.
        If there is any doubt in your mind about where to post, just post
        on the Clips or HTML list, or even the Off-topic list. but, if
        it is an Off-topic question then use the Off-Topic list (which is
        a very resourceful list BTW). What I am trying to say is leave
        the Basic list solely for the basic use of NoteTab. when
        posting, also think of where the post might lead to. For
        instance, the question about the line numbers and Tidy seems like
        it would be a basic type question, but it is an HTML issue and
        can lead off into a major thread about HTML so I try to redirect
        those posts right away. I am not trying to jump on somebody for
        posting to the wrong list, but just trying to prevent a lot of
        posts not related to the list from starting up.

        We see a lot of questions like "Can NoteTab do this or do I have
        to have Clip for it?" Knowing that a clip might be needed
        hopefully will tell you to just post to the clips list to begin
        with. What I try to do as stated above is just keep the Basic
        list for mainly newbies and for people that use NoteTab basically
        for a text editor and do not write Clips or do HTML.

        I will need to rework all the welcome letters again because of
        the address change from @egroups.com to @yahoogroups.com even
        though there will probably be backwards compatibility for a long
        time (I think @... is still good for those of you who
        remember;). I will try to make things clearer in the site
        description and welcome letter even though most people don't
        read them anyway. <g>

        Please remember to delete the parts of the posts not needed to
        understand your post and I thank all the contributors once again
        and for keeping the lists informative, fun, and friendly.

        OH, I spoke with Larry Thomas the other day and he said to say hi
        to you all, thanks the ones that called and sent cards and he
        hopes to be home in a couple more weeks.

        The new subscribe and unsubscribe links follow.

        To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
        Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
        using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

        To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from any of the following
        Mailing Lists send an empty post to the appropriate list(s)
        using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

        Subscribe
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Clips List................. ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab ClipsClass List............ ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab HTML List.................. ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Next Release List.......... ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Off-Topic List............. ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The NoteTab Announcements List......... ntb-Announcements-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Album Express List................. Album-Express-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Mailbag Assistant List............. MailBag-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        The Fookes Software Next Release List.. FS-NextRelease-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        UnSubscribe
        The NoteTab Basic List................. NoteTab-UnSubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Happy Tab'n, Clip'n, Edit'n, Test'n, &...
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23