Page numbering

  • Charlie Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2001
      Jody,
      I just got NoteTab and find it ideal for my use in writing a book. I am
      using Outlook document and since I find I need to bounce back and forth from
      chapter to chapter, it works just fine by clicking on the headings (which I
      call chapters).
      My future worry is this - once I get done, I need to have the pages
      separated and then page numbers inserted. Is this possible or do I have to
      Part of my research is OCR'ing documents into my book and Word or
      WordPerfect is a real pain because of the hidden characters plus the
      formatting. So a simple text editor is a necessity (reminds me of the old
      CPM days-WordStar).
      Next question - since NoteTab is a simple text file, it is not possible
      to insert drawings or photos. Will NoteTab in the future be able to do so.
      I haven't considered HTML but in book form I don't think it would work or am
      I wrong?
      Would Clipbook be able to do all of the above?
      Charlie
      (Vegetarian -- Old Native American word for lousy hunter)
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2001
        Hi Charlie,

        >I just got NoteTab and find it ideal for my use in writing a
        >book. I am using Outlook document and since I find I need to
        >bounce back and forth from chapter to chapter, it works just fine
        >by clicking on the headings (which I call chapters).

        Welcome to NoteTab and the list!

        >My future worry is this - once I get done, I need to have the
        >pages separated and then page numbers inserted. Is this possible
        >or do I have to go back to Word or WordPerfect?

        NoteTab will enter page numbers when printing. You can print the
        whole Outline or just one heading with its contents. NoteTab
        will not let you see what page you are on though in the editor
        itself. You can use File | Export to make one text file out of
        the Outline if you wish and then open it in your word processor
        or any application that supports the file size and text files.

        >So a simple text editor is a necessity (reminds me of the old CPM
        >days-WordStar).

        NoteTab Pro has a WordStar feature you can activate. It does not
        have a full set of key mapping for WordStar, but does have quite
        a few of them. If you are in Pro or download the Trial, look
        under the Advanced tab in Options.

        >Next question - since NoteTab is a simple text file, it is not
        >possible to insert drawings or photos. Will NoteTab in the
        >future be able to do so.

        No to the first and most likely no to the second. That is not to
        say that Eric will not make some kind of mini word processor some
        day.

        >I haven't considered HTML but in book form I don't think it would
        >work or am I wrong?

        I have an HTML reader/editor that is mainly used for publishing
        eBooks with, but that is a topic for the NoteTab Off-Topic list.

        >(Vegetarian -- Old Native American word for lousy hunter)

        ;)

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
      • Stephen Riddle
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2001
          Hi Charlie,
          Note Tab can insert page breaks. I'm not sure how it works since I've never
          used it. I believe it is simply and instruction to the printer to stop one page
          and start another. (I'm sure Note Tab can keep track of where these breaks are
          and number them)(Jody correct me if I'm wrong, please)
          NoteTab's clips make it possible to insert sections of one document into
          another, and keep track of what went where.
          This probably is not exactly like your pages but may do.
          Note Tab makes it easy to embed images using html also. If you could use this
          for your book, probably depends on your editor and what the form is you need to
          send the book to her. HTML is progressing to the point that it can format pages
          well for printing, so don't quite give up on it. If you have a cutting edge
          browser, you can use style sheets designed for printers and get automated page
          numbering and just about anything else you want graphically from a word
          processor. With the older browsers, there was more variance between the way the
          screen looked and the printer's rendering of a page.
          The fact is though that NoteTab a plain text editor. You only get out what
          could have been typed on any manual typerwriter manufactured in the forties.
          This keeps the files small, easy to edit and transport, but also cuts out
          embedded content (pictures, graphics, all the extras that make word processor
          documents hard to work with.)
          This did not exactly answer your questions, I know, but hopefully gives you and
          idea of what's going on.
          (If you decide to learn HTML, join the NoteTab HTML group. I've seen a lot of
          my questions answered there.)
          Good luck,
          Stephen

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2001
            Hi Stephen and Charlie,

            >Note Tab can insert page breaks. I'm not sure how it works since
            >I've never used it. I believe it is simply and instruction to the
            >printer to stop one page and start another. (I'm sure Note Tab
            >can keep track of where these breaks are and number them).

            You can insert page breaks Ctrl+Enter, but the problem is the
            number. You could build a simple Clip to number the breaks, but
            what if you had two pages in between your manually inserted
            breaks? Normally one would use a page break to start a new
            section, chapter, a blank page (two breaks) and things like that.
            NoteTab does not number the pages but just passes the information
            you set in the printing options off to Windows. I think the
            numbering scheme you inserted would conflict with what Windows
            inserts.

            >Note Tab makes it easy to embed images using html also. If you
            >could use this for your book, probably depends on your editor and
            >what the form is you need to send the book to her. HTML is
            >progressing to the point that it can format pages well for
            >printing, so don't quite give up on it. If you have a cutting
            >edge browser, you can use style sheets designed for printers and
            >get automated page numbering and just about anything else you
            >want graphically from a word processor. With the older browsers,
            >there was more variance between the way the screen looked and the
            >printer's rendering of a page.

            That would work for images, highlighting, etc., but I do not know
            of a HTML page break command for printing unless you could use
            regular page breaks for the start of chapters and such.

            >This keeps the files small, easy to edit and transport, but also
            >cuts out embedded content (pictures, graphics, all the extras
            >that make word processor documents hard to work with.)

            I think a word processor or perhaps PDF would be the rout to go
            after editing in NoteTab. The page breaks are seen and you can
            insert breaks at least in a word processor. I'm not that
            familiar with PDF. You might try a little test in a file
            inserting some breaks and see it your word processor recognizes
            them.

            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
            http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab
          • Charlie Foster
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2001
              Jody,
              Your suggestion worked OK but with one problem. Each time I printed out
              a Chapter(heading) it started the numbering from the beginning. No big
              problem, since I took some of my Chapters and re-opened them in WordPerfect,
              all is under control. Not only does the numbering fall the way I want but I
              can now space the chapters as I like. And I don't have the problem with the
              hidden commands anymore. NoteTab evidently cleaned them all up.
              So it looks like I got a working system now. I use Omnipage to OCR my
              information into WordPerfect. Then I "save as" the document as "DOS Text".
              Next I do my thing using NoteTab, and it is easy to use, quick and flexible.
              Finally, I put it back in WordPerfect to finalize the whole mess.
              I'm even thinking of inserting pictures into the final produce since
              WordPerfect will handle that, I think. Haven't tried it yet but I think
              it'll work. I'll let you know.
              Do you think NoteTab will be able to except a scanned imagine some day?
              You have lots of directions to go I can see.
              I may be slow but I'll get there.

              Charlie
              (Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional)
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 18, 2001
                Hi Charlie,

                >Your suggestion worked OK but with one problem. Each time I
                >printed out a Chapter(heading) it started the numbering from the
                >beginning. No big problem, since I took some of my Chapters and
                >re-opened them in WordPerfect, all is under control. Not only
                >does the numbering fall the way I want but I can now space the
                >chapters as I like. And I don't have the problem with the hidden
                >commands anymore. NoteTab evidently cleaned them all up.

                I'm happy to hear you found a method that works for you. I do
                not know why the numbering would start all over again, but I will
                test it.

                >So it looks like I got a working system now. I use Omnipage to
                >OCR my information into WordPerfect. Then I "save as" the
                >document as "DOS Text". Next I do my thing using NoteTab, and it
                >is easy to use, quick and flexible. Finally, I put it back in
                >WordPerfect to finalize the whole mess.

                You can make NoteTab Pro your default text editor with OmniPage.
                Just drag and drop the scanned image on to the icon bar - you
                need to check the option to add the icon to the bar.

                >I'm even thinking of inserting pictures into the final produce
                >since WordPerfect will handle that, I think. Haven't tried it
                >yet but I think it'll work. I'll let you know.

                It should if you send it to WP.

                >Do you think NoteTab will be able to except a scanned imagine
                >some day?

                I would not hold your breath waiting. ;) Eric may make a word
                processor some day though.

                >You have lots of directions to go I can see.
                > I may be slow but I'll get there.

                Yep.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 18, 2001
                  Hi Charlie,

                  >Your suggestion worked OK but with one problem. Each time I
                  >printed out a Chapter(heading) it started the numbering from the
                  >beginning.

                  I tried adding some page breaks in manually and did not have the
                  problem you mention, but I am in the latest beta of Pro. I put
                  the page breaks (Ctrl+Enter) on lines by themselves.

                • jlray01@attglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2002
                    anyone out there know how to set up page numbering in notetab??