6440[NTB] Re: Browser not going topmost...

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Dec 6, 1999
      Hello Tryggve,

      >I have a small problem with Note tab Pro, both 4.6a and
      >the 4.8 Beta. Well, maybe not a problem but at least a
      >nuisance.
      >
      >The first time I press F8 or click the tool bar button
      >to view an HTML document, NTP starts the browser, loads
      >the HTML document and *brings the browser to the top*.
      >As it's is supposed to do. But...

      It's not NoteTab bringing the browser on top, it is Windows.

      >after that, when I want to review changes in the HTML mark-up,
      >and press F8 again, the document is loaded as it should but
      >the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
      >However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
      >stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
      >to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

      This is a Windows 98 feature. Microsoft felt that too many programs were
      taking initiatives to grab input focus, so that disabled the function that
      most programmers used to bring application windows to the front.

      Once a browser is running, NoteTab attempts to use DDE to communicate with
      it. When it does so, it is the browser's responsibility to come forwards.
      Microsoft seems to have fixed the problem in IE5, as it comes forward when
      invoked this way. However, this is not the case of Netscape, and it is up
      to their programmers to fix their code.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      NoteTab v4.6a available from