23172Re: [NTB] Text File Problem after Upload to Website

  • Andy M
    Sep 4 12:23 PM
      GDay S,

      Steve, I took a look at your text files and downloaded one at random. I
      don't know why but the file as downloaded is in ANSI text but it has
      Linux formatting which probably explains the weird result in Windows
      Notepad.

      The Linux formatting changes the end of line encoding to 0A hex instead
      of the Windows formatting which is 0A 0D hex.

      This may be happening at the web server level, as I am assuming that it
      is running on a Linux system?

      --
      Regards
      Andy M

      S or J wrote:
      > Hi Folks
      > This is not an html problem, rather a problem with simple text files
      > created with NoteTab Light 7.01 -- although I suspect the problem would
      > exist with text files created by other versions of the program.
      > I create simple text files in NoteTab with Default encoding and upload
      > them to my site Machining and Metalworking at Home
      >
      > http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
      > Before the upload, they are also tested with Microsoft Notepad and
      > appear fine, with all line breaks in place.
      > After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
      > within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
      > If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the line
      > breaks are still fine.
      > But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
      > Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.
      > Never noticed this before as I assumed that a text file, created in
      > NoteTab and tested okay in Notepad, would still be okay after an upload
      > and then a download.
      > Any ideas how the problem arises, and how the NoteTab file can be fixed
      > before uploading so that Notepad users can save and use these files from
      > the website? Is Notepad's Default encoding to blame?
      > Very perplexing ... want to continue using NoteTab but will have to
      > consider an alternative if this problem is not fixable.
      > Yes I know I could tell everyone to use NoteTab (and frequently do) but
      > many visitors simply will not do so.
      > regards
      > Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic