23125Re: [NTB] Unlocking files on vr 6.1 pro

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Jul 24, 2013
      On 7/23/2013 9:03 AM, iteambiz wrote:
      > I have been trying to transfer my files from one computer to my laptop with negative results. I can transfer all the old files that are unlocked but my new files are all locked and will not transfer. I don't understand why all new files are locked. I know it has something to do with property and permissions but how do I unlock the files or insure all new files are not locked? I am using 6.1 full version. Any help would be appreciated.

      If your problem is the same as what I've seen before (when transferring files using external USB
      harddrives permissions can get messed up this way) this should fix it. But try to make sure you
      know what you are doing, Google for more information if need be, since this could also mess things
      up worse if done wrong.

      It sounds like the ownership of the files may have got corrupted. Each file and folder is "owned"
      by a particular user account on its machine. (Even if accounts on different machines have the same
      user name, they can still have different hidden user ID numbers for the owners of the files.) On
      rare occasions this problem occurs when files are owned by an account created on different machine
      than the where the files are actually located. This can occur with files written by another machine
      to a folder on an external drive that doesn't have default security settings.

      Try going to a folder that contains all the files you are concerned about (but which if possible,
      doesn't contain any system folders, as you don't want to weaken the security on them. The steps
      below are generally safe to do with your My Documents folder, but could cause security weaknesses
      if done on the Windows folder or the Program Files folder.) Then select that folder's properties,
      and then click the Security tab, then clicked advanced, then click the owner tab. Click edit at
      the bottom, then change the owner to your user name, and make sure replace user on subcontainers
      and objects is checked. Then it will fix the owner of all the files at once when you click okay,
      and it may take several minutes.

      Then close windows until you are back to the security tab. Click edit. If your username is not
      in the list that appears, use add to add it. Give yourself full control then click okay. Now
      wait again while the permissions are fixed on all the files in the selected folder and its
      subfolders.

      Next go back to the general properties tab for the folder, and make sure read only is cleared.
      Click ok and then click "apply to this folder, subfolders, and files." Wait again for Windows
      to process the files.

      Now all there shouldn't be any permission settings preventing you from reading and writing
      any file in that folder.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic