23042Clue to Gremlin Attack

  • Art Kocsis
    Apr 22, 2013
      At 4/22/2013 05:32 AM, John wrote:
      >Not a gremlin attack. It happens to me also. I have to shut down NTP and restart it to get the dropdown arrow back. I ALWAYS have a
      >history, and I've looked in the .ini file to make sure it was still there - it's there, but there's nothing in the Find box, and no
      >arrow either. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

      I may have uncovered a clue to the gremlins.

      I always have a history as well but IIRC I have never lost the drop down arrow in the F&R dialogs.

      However, I just got another broadside that I was able to analyze the behavior.
      I have a couple of clips to save and load Notetab's ini file which I run from the clipbook. They are really just one-liners but I added a ^!Continue at completion to verify execution as sometimes it didn't seem to work and I thought it was just me.

      Today the ^!ProgIniSave clip worked fine but the ^!ProgIniLoad clip in a second instance of NTB just closed the clipbook and ended. Nothing I tried would get the load clip to work in the second instance. However, the load clip did work fine in a fresh instance of Notetab.

      Notetab has always been a bit flaky with its memory management and I suspect that this may be the root of these intermittent anomalies. I frequently get invalid pointer messages when I run long complicated clips and I had to give up using v6.2/fv on HTML files as I kept finding random strings from some memory buffers appended to my working docs and without any warning message.

      The next time you lose you drop down arrow, try loading another instance of NTB and see if the problem disappears.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic