22896Re: [NTB] Keeping Clipbars in separate libraries

  • mycroftj
    Oct 2, 2012
      Thanks for all your time, Art. TMI for most, but some care and understand the fine details and find the info useful. I'm sure many pick up all sorts of useful bits and pieces from many of these Q and A's. I know I have.

      FWIW, I *HIGHLY* recommend all serious users look through the help files from time to time. There are so many shortcuts, functions and features that it's difficult to remember them all.

      I wish more technical info like what you provided was available in them. Or did I miss that section? :)

      Joy

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

      > At 10/1/2012 01:50 PM, Joy wrote:
      > >Thanks very much for the explanation but I'm still unclear. (For those
      > >trying to follow, I think there are some typos when mentioning .clb, .ctb,
      > >etc. files.)
      > >
      > >I do understand clipcode for an entire library is in .clb and clipbars are
      > >in .ctb All are in Libraries folder along with my user supplied .bmps
      > >
      > >So far, so good. Now, am I understanding you to be saying the tip is
      > >suggesting creating clipbar-A with the clips from clipcode library-A,
      > >clipbar-B with the clips from clipcode library-B and so on?
      > >
      > >If so, I don't see how that helps anything. The best part of clipbars is
      > >putting clips from different libraries on the same clipbar.
      > >
      > >Perhaps I was reading too much into that particular tip. If I completely
      > >missed something you meant, sorry - let me know.
      >
      > I agree, The single click access of custom clips on clipbars is what makes
      > NTB worthwhile. Without both NTB is just another editor.
      >
      > As you surmise, clipcode libraries (*.clb) and clipbars (*.ctb) are
      > completely independent. It is simply a matter of work style and personal
      > preference how you organize them. I kept all my clips in one file until
      > they got too numerous for easy maintenance. Then I broke them out by
      > function groups into separate files but still only use one clipbar. Some
      > users like to use multiple clipbars that include both common and unique
      > clips and then switch between them for various task profiles. I am avoiding
      > that as it means an increase in the complexity and potential for
      > maintenance errors. I would like to see NTB support multiple user clipbars.
      > For example, one clipbar slot for common/universal clips and another slot
      > for task specific clips.
      >
      > To see how the clipbar is structured, right click on it and chose "Edit
      > Clipbar". It is basically a comma delimited, plain text CSV file. The first
      > field is the clipcode file name, the second the clip name within the
      > referenced clipcode file and the third the name of the icon to display on
      > the clipbar. Blank lines in the clipbar file appear as blank separators
      > between icons 1/3 of an icon wide.
      >
      > Although by default, clipcode libraries, cliptab files and user icons are
      > stored in the active libraries folder, they can actually be placed anywhere
      > by including the path with the entry name. Both full paths and relative
      > paths are supported. For example, in the clipbar file,
      > ".\Icons\CustomIcon.bmp" references the CustomIcon.bmp file in the \Icons\
      > folder under the default \libraries\ folder. (However, it does look like
      > the relative path calculation for the clipcode lib has a bug. Instead of
      > referencing the folder under the default \libraries\ folder, ".\AltFldr\",
      > NTB looks for the folder under the exe file libraries folder. A full path
      > works correctly.)
      >
      > When you right click on a button in the clipbar and choose "Button
> [...]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic