22895Re: [NTB] Keeping Clipbars in separate libraries

  • Art Kocsis
    Oct 1, 2012
      At 10/1/2012 01:50 PM, Joy wrote:
      >Thanks very much for the explanation but I'm still unclear. (For those
      >trying to follow, I think there are some typos when mentioning .clb, .ctb,
      >etc. files.)
      >
      >I do understand clipcode for an entire library is in .clb and clipbars are
      >in .ctb All are in Libraries folder along with my user supplied .bmps
      >
      >So far, so good. Now, am I understanding you to be saying the tip is
      >suggesting creating clipbar-A with the clips from clipcode library-A,
      >clipbar-B with the clips from clipcode library-B and so on?
      >
      >If so, I don't see how that helps anything. The best part of clipbars is
      >putting clips from different libraries on the same clipbar.
      >
      >Perhaps I was reading too much into that particular tip. If I completely
      >missed something you meant, sorry - let me know.

      I agree, The single click access of custom clips on clipbars is what makes
      NTB worthwhile. Without both NTB is just another editor.

      As you surmise, clipcode libraries (*.clb) and clipbars (*.ctb) are
      completely independent. It is simply a matter of work style and personal
      preference how you organize them. I kept all my clips in one file until
      they got too numerous for easy maintenance. Then I broke them out by
      function groups into separate files but still only use one clipbar. Some
      users like to use multiple clipbars that include both common and unique
      clips and then switch between them for various task profiles. I am avoiding
      that as it means an increase in the complexity and potential for
      maintenance errors. I would like to see NTB support multiple user clipbars.
      For example, one clipbar slot for common/universal clips and another slot
      for task specific clips.

      To see how the clipbar is structured, right click on it and chose "Edit
      Clipbar". It is basically a comma delimited, plain text CSV file. The first
      field is the clipcode file name, the second the clip name within the
      referenced clipcode file and the third the name of the icon to display on
      the clipbar. Blank lines in the clipbar file appear as blank separators
      between icons 1/3 of an icon wide.

      Although by default, clipcode libraries, cliptab files and user icons are
      stored in the active libraries folder, they can actually be placed anywhere
      by including the path with the entry name. Both full paths and relative
      paths are supported. For example, in the clipbar file,
      ".\Icons\CustomIcon.bmp" references the CustomIcon.bmp file in the \Icons\
      folder under the default \libraries\ folder. (However, it does look like
      the relative path calculation for the clipcode lib has a bug. Instead of
      referencing the folder under the default \libraries\ folder, ".\AltFldr\",
      NTB looks for the folder under the exe file libraries folder. A full path
      works correctly.)

      When you right click on a button in the clipbar and choose "Button
      Properties" you are presented with a dialog window which allows you to
      select an icon for the referenced clip. The "Toolbar icons" tab displays
      the icons which built into NTB and stored in the Bitmap section of the NTB
      exe file. The "Custom Icons" tabs displays all the bmp icons in a virtual
      folder which is created by combining the current active library folder and
      the library folder under the exe file folder. Only bmp icons in these
      folders are displayed. Windows format icons (*.ico) may be used but have
      to be set by editing the clipbar file. Likewise for icons in non-default
      folder locations.

      This is probably TMI but once I get started the words just keep on coming.

      Art
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic