22570RE: [NTB] Remove x number of characters from a line of text

  • John Shotsky
    May 27 10:08 PM
      Bruce,
      Sure. First, the answer about how to make it repeatable is to create a clip library of your own, and add these functions
      to it. An easy way to do that is to take one of the provided sample clip libraries, copy it and name it what you want.
      Then, draw a line at the top, (add a clip name of dashes only ), and start adding your own clips above the line,
      reserving the older ones as examples as you learn new things you want to accomplish. The Sample Code and Utilities are
      good ones to start with � after a while, you'd just delete all the stuff below your line as you add more clips to your
      custom library. My custom clip library has about 32,000 lines, probably half of those comments. I wrote a clip that
      strips all comments out, just so I can see the base library size without comments. These are the sorts of things you can
      learn to do.

      So, for my clip example, assuming you want ONLY 2 or 3 digits removed, it goes as follows:
      \x20\d\d\d?$
      The \x20 is a code for a space. I use those most of the time because you can SEE them. You can use actual spaces, but
      that can lead to confusion.
      The \d means a digit � a number.
      The second \d means another digit, meaning it must have at least two. As Alec indicated, there is more than one way to
      code this, but they work the same.
      The third \d with a question mark means grab it if it's there, but if not, that's ok, go with what you have. It means
      zero or 1 digit.
      The $ means that it has to occur at the end of the line.
      So, a space, followed by two or three digits, at the end of a line meets the requirement.
      If ANY number of digits were to be removed, you would use \d+ in place of \d\d\d?, which means any number of digits.

      To write this into a clip, you would create a new clip and add this into it, then save it:
      ^!Replace "\x20\d\d\d?$" >> "" ARSW
      It will do exactly what the replace above does, but it is kept permanently, so you can use it any time you need it
      without retyping the replace dialog.

      Regards,
      John